Engine Inn
Hotels.com
Royal Oak Inn(Cartmel)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubbeer matschanged handsrace meetingtea trayworth a tripportion sizesholiday cottageroast potatoeswarm welcomelovely innwell worth a visitrelaxing staypuddingcartmel racescarkdog
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Staying with friends, I was not on arrival however when leaving I was..
Just staying for the night as working in the area and needed a place to put my head down for the night. Such a warm welcome, shown to my room, given details on how to exit and my own key for entry.Also a first for me after stating in many hotels the fire exit.(Well Done)
Room was very clean and tidy, tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the room. Hot water, clean beading and plenty of towels..
Down for dinner, mix grill and sticky toffee pus for afters..very, very nice!!
The charm of The Engine,is its cleanliness, good food, well priced drinks and warmth of the pup is what makes an enjoyable place to stay.Even though I stayed only one night, I had a good rest and an enjoyable time.
Rennie Craggs , Bolton..

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Ours was a KGB deal and well worth the money £99 for 2 nights B&B and evening meal on first night..The staff where lovely. We did have trouble finding the Hotel but with a phone call to them we found it no time at all. Well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Don't use Google maps to find it...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamed2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The first time I stayed in the area and visited this pub with friends I found the owners rude and unwelcoming. We wanted to get some lunch however when we discovered food wasn't being served we were practically laughed out of the pub by the owner when we asked if anywhere else may be at 3pm in the afternoon. Something that I felt was unnecessary. When we loosely mentioned we might go back in the evening the owner was very abrupt stating if we were likely to come back we better order in advance and give them enough time to prep because we were a large group - which ordinarily would be an understandable request with a small village pub but the tone was clear that they'd rather we didn't return.

Several months later we were in the area and decided to give the pub another chance. After a few afternoon drinks we decided we'd book for a meal the next evening and luckily the landlady was slightly more accommodating of us this time - initially. Although we accepted that the pub was busy and there may be a bit of a delay, after ordering drinks the owners brought over 3 pints for the men and left 7 empty glasses on the table without the bottle of wine for us for over 15 minutes. Meanwhile we watched both owners flit back and fourth between other tables and rooms before bringing over our bottle. Eventually our orders were taken and we waited for our homemade pub food.

Once all of our mains were delivered to the table it became quite clear that the quality was low - especially in comparison to the price. Several members of our group could not finish (or in some cases really start) their burger as they felt the quality and taste was extremely low considering the menu stated these were 'homemade'. Only some time after finishing with our mains did staff appear and ask if everything was ok - which is when we brought up the fact that the burgers were not. The complaint was greeted with an argumentative tone and extreme rudeness - something I have never witnessed through any kind of 'customer service'. The argument continued until the owner agreed to remove the cost of one overpriced burger (despite stating this was 'average' for the area - it seemed somewhat steep in cost from my perspective of living in London where prices are usually higher than average).

I am genuinely shocked at the amount of great reviews this pub has received and can only assume that the owners of this pub have a very clear outlook on what kind of customers they'd like to have in their pub and a group of late twenties-early thirties in the area for an outdoors type holiday are apparently not welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank HonestFair16
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Firstly I need to point out we got a deal via KGB Deals for £99 for two nights B&B and evening meal on the first night which was an absolute bargain!

The hotel is quite easy to find as its on the main road, parking is limited but we managed to park both nights we stayed within the grounds of the pub.
The external building fabric was in OK condition with some decor required, that said with the storms and rain within the area I'm not surprised. The internal area of the pub and room we stayed in was decorated well, and is in keeping with the vintage style of the building.

The food was great and reasonably priced, so much so we decided to eat their on the second night instead of going out as we had planned so we can recommend the fish & chips, double burger, blackened Cajun chicken & mixed grill.

Over the two days we were there we met with several different members of staff who were all great and very friendly, so I am confused as to why someone has commented stating that staff were rude as we did not find this at all.

I nearly forgot about the real ales! A great selection, I didn't manage to try them all but that's something I will do next time!

We will be staying here again no doubt about that especially with it being in an area that allows easy access to the lower lakes.

Thanks to all at The Engine for a great time!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikeilloyd
Reviewed 24 February 2014

another successful KGB deal the engine inn was all you expected it to be and more with good food evening and at breakfast. which i may add was freshly made and piping hot.good local feel about the pub but we were made to feel very welcome. our room on the small size but clean and had all we needed. would return thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple