Pig and Whistle
US$118
  • Breakfast included
US$195
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My encounter with the pig and whistle started quite pleasantly. It was the cheapest hotel in Cartmel, and ‘appeared’ to be quite pleasant from the first review.

I booked the room over the phone, at which the lady said they would email a receipt through. I waited a week, and then started to phone and email. Eventually after over two weeks I received an email with a photo attachment showing my name and card number on a page of a yearly planner, along with the credit card receipt. This immediately started to ring alarm bells.

The day came, we arrived and got shown to our room. At first it seemed pleasant enough. The guy went and got a replacement room key as he wasn’t sure where the original was. I asked where the toilet is, and he showed me.

On the website it states a separate bathroom, not a SHARED separate bathroom which hadn’t been cleaned for years. The carpet was disgusting, the toilet clearly hadn’t been cleaned for a while, and the basin was just as bad.

In the morning we went down to breakfast at about 9:40 to find a deserted pub with glasses everywhere and no one in the kitchen. We hung around for about 10 minutes, at which we decided to leave. I emailed the landlord informing him of this and requesting a refund for the breakfast (£5 – it’s the principle that counts), and received an email with the tone implying I was lying – “Iv just looked at the cameras Luke of the morning that you left my chef was here at 8.30 in the morning So I think it would be a very good idea if you called me to go over these events that your talking about“

3 days after leaving, and multiple attempts to contact him, I’ve finally received an email saying “Breakfast ends at 9:30 but if you insist on a repayment I will reinstate your card”. If only I had known this when I checked in.

Cartmel is an expensive place to stay, but if I go there again, I’d definitely pay that little bit extra in order to have a nice clean room with a toilet that doesn’t make you gag each time you use it!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lukekemp
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I'm not sure what has happened since the last review but this was awful. I have never stayed anywhere so dirty, it looked like the carpets hadn't been hoovered or the washbasin cleaned for months. We only stayed here because we came to eat at L'enclume for my husbands birthday and couldn't find alternative dog friendly accomodation at such short notice (I even considered cancelling the restaurant) . We did not eat here, not even breakfast and I would not recommend anyone to do so. I strongly recommend you DO NOT stay or eat here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hazel s
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have just come back from what should have been a 2 night stay at the Pig and Whisltle but ended up being a 3 night stay as we enjoyed it so much. We have stayed before and have booked to come back in June because this is just such a lovely place to stay. Adam and Wendy make you feel so welcome. The pub is quite a 'locals pub' but you are made to feel that you are part of the community. Cartmel is such a wonderful, picturesque village, there are 3 other pubs based around the village square. The Pig & Whistle is just a short 5 minute walk on the outskirts of the village and compared to the other pubs, serve the best food by far. Ashlee is a young chef but her food far exceeds her years. It is absolutely superb and beautifully presented. We ate there every night and we were not disappointed once in any of the food. The slow roasted pork belly and lamb shanks were to die for and I really don't think you can get better value for the quality of the food. There is a bistro and a restaurant and you really need to book in if you are going to stay. The rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds are so comfortable. I believe that in the winter months there are plans to extend the accomodation with some more en suite rooms which will be great. Breakfast is superb - full English and just sets you up for the day. I cannot recommend this pub enough. It's such great value and in such a fabulous location. The staff are absolutely lovely and it just feels like home from home. This is a place I know we will keep coming back to. Also a very big plus for us, it's dog friendly - although you need to advise on booking if you have a dog. P.S. Has a great beer garden for the summer months with the most amazing views!

Room Tip: The red room is slightly bigger than the green room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple