“Birthday meal”
Review of Pig and Whistle

Pig and Whistle
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cartmel
Pig and Whistle
Ranked #15 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just had a lunchtime meal for my birthday treat...I was a little bit worried after reading some bad reviews But it was great. Salmon and crab starter with lovely home made bread and a plaice with lemon and butter sauce. Yum! Portions good, staff attentive and price not too bad. I am quite fussy eater and I think this place was good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Boring boring boring no atmosphere what so ever. Would not recommend to anyone, & after overhearing the way the owner spoke to her staff, im surprised she has any. Very rude and obviously not a clue on how to conduct her buisness infront of paying customers. Charlotte I think behind the bar is very friendly & very welcoming GREAT JOB, maybe the owner should take a leaf out of her book. What has happened to good old pub grub, u have the posh nosh in cartmel square so maybe a decent sized plate off food wouldnt go a miss in a small country pub. Why compete. Not impressed, will NOT recommend & food over priced for a few lousy mouthfuls.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Proc666
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My girlfriend and I (with the two dogs) dropped in today for a bite to eat and a drink. Despite being empty when we arrived the bar had a very cosy feel to it with the open fire going and by traditional decor. The lady behind the bar was very welcoming and couldn't have been more helpful. We were offered a small selection of sandwiches, bar snacks or a choice of meals from the main menu - which looked very appetising indeed. We ended up having Ham Hock with Piccalilli and Slow cooked Beef with Caramelised Onion sandwiches accompanied by small portions of plaice gujons and corned beef fritters - nothing spectacular about it but all very nicely put together, very tasty and delivered in good time. Just what we wanted.
Very pleasantly surprised considering some of the previous reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to return and would then like to sample the main menu.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

A friend booked a table here to celebrate his birthday, and with it being owned by Simon Rogan we were expecting some decent grub. I was famished heading here and with Rogan owning L'Enclume and Rogans in Cartmel already, I was expecting the Pig and Whistle (which is basically a country pub) to offer something a little different such as well made pub grub but I was wrong...

I had the venison and I couldn't fault the quality of the food, however the quantity was far too small. I've been to plenty of fancy restaurants (including michelin star) before where portion sizes are much smaller than you would expect elsewhere, but the size of the main course here was more like a starter! There were 2 small thinly cut slices of venison which were tasty and left me wanting more, along with a couple of small potatoes a bit of parsnip and some red cabbage.

When we were done we were all that hungry we had to pop to the takeaway on the way home for supper!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Salo_K-Bab
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We visited this establishment at approx 5.30 on wednesday 5th June asking to see the menu with a view to eating there that evening. The place was empty except for two young men behind the bar, who, declined us a menu informing us that they were fully booked for the following 3 weeks!!!!!!! REALLY?????
They did us a great favour,we walked into the square, found the Royal Oak and its pretty beer garden, great friendly efficient staff, good beer and variety of excellent food available.
Why the Pig and Whistle bother to put out boards to attract diners is a mystery!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2013

As you approach this pub in the lovely village of Cartmel you see a number of blackboards advertising it proclaiming "Friendly pub" "Good food". I can vouch for the friendliness being an untruth but since they seem reluctant to give anyone any food I have no idea what it tastes like....
We arrived at 12.15 and went into the "drinking side" of the bar where there were two other customers chatting at the bar. All the other tables were empty. we were told we would have to wait until two o'clock to order food as they were full. We went to sit outside with our drinks as it was a glorious sunny day and my husband then pooped into the "eating side" of the bar to ask if we could sit outside and have food. He was given a flat no, the kitchen was too busy, no more orders to be taken. Incidentally there were two tables of four people in there. The rest were empty......
We finished our drinks and left in twenty minutes, the bar staff barely looked at us when we left, and no other customers had arrived
What a joke. Rude, unfriendly, lazy staff who clearly cannot be bothered to actually do their job. They are either assuming the honeypot village will get them customers regardless of effort or they are trying to run it into the ground.
Eat in the village instead - we went to the Kings Arms!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anna G
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Me and my wife came to Cartmel Pig & Whistle after hearing it was re-opening. When we arrived we were greeted very pleasantly by two young ladies. One of which showed us both to our table and took our drinks order. The drinks came very speedy. Both myself and my wife engaged in conversation very easily with the waitress. We then ordered our food with another waitress who was chirpy and polite. Our food portions were just right, not leaving you feeling bloated. I had the beef pie and my wife had the fish and chips for main. Not often do you taste pub grub at such an excellent level. Extreme compliments to the chef! Our deserts were delious, I had the Cumberland tart and my wife had the nougat, we enjoyed both of these immensely. Once finished we didn't feel rushed by the waitresses, it was all very calm even though it was rather busy night. We asked for the bill and that was that. The Pig & Whistle is a very homely pub. Not a bad word to say about it. We will definitely be coming back here and telling friends from home about the wonderful service. To the staff at the Pig & Whistle? Thank you once again for a lovely evening.

• Stayed: November 2012