“Pork Scratchings!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pig and Whistle

Pig and Whistle
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cartmel
Pig and Whistle
Ranked #14 of 14 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Pork Scratchings!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We thought we'd give Simon Rogan's pub a go before L'Enclume. Honestly the best pork Scratchings ever with a side of Apple sauce. Only issue was the volume of our crunching. We had a very large pork cutlet and battered cod and chips. No room at all for pud. With a very nice Lakeland lager it was £36 well spent in casual and friendly surroundings with excellent service.

• Stayed June 2014

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I went here for lunch and my god what a lovely lunch it was, the atmosphere and the service was fantastic. The food yet a sandwich was as my friend said " the best steak sandwich i ever had" . We also enjoyed the hand made chips which you often don't see in a pub. We sat in the garden which just topped of a lovely lunch for two with fantastic scenery

• Stayed May 2014
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We enjoyed our meal here - the food was nice, but I think given the reputation and association with Simon Rogan we were expecting so much more. First the good things - staff were attentive, helpful, friendly and service was very good. We liked the traditional decor and quirky nature of the place, however we were really cold and felt a little uncomfortable.
The menu sounded delicious, plenty to choose and emphasis on fresh ingredients. We were a bit disappointed they had run out of pork scratchings - we liked the sound of those. One of our group had steak - melt in your mouth delicious, another had fish and chips which was also excellent, I had pork which was served in a sauce with delicious spring greens. The pork was a tad overcooked and dry and the sauce a bit bland and watery.
So a bit of a mixed experience. We didn't think it was terrible, but were a bit disappointed and thought it was average. For the price we paid, I think we could have got better elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just had a lunchtime meal for my birthday treat...I was a little bit worried after reading some bad reviews But it was great. Salmon and crab starter with lovely home made bread and a plaice with lemon and butter sauce. Yum! Portions good, staff attentive and price not too bad. I am quite fussy eater and I think this place was good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
G-O-S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Boring boring boring no atmosphere what so ever. Would not recommend to anyone, & after overhearing the way the owner spoke to her staff, im surprised she has any. Very rude and obviously not a clue on how to conduct her buisness infront of paying customers. Charlotte I think behind the bar is very friendly & very welcoming GREAT JOB, maybe the owner should take a leaf out of her book. What has happened to good old pub grub, u have the posh nosh in cartmel square so maybe a decent sized plate off food wouldnt go a miss in a small country pub. Why compete. Not impressed, will NOT recommend & food over priced for a few lousy mouthfuls.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Proc666

Travellers are raving about these Cartmel hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I (with the two dogs) dropped in today for a bite to eat and a drink. Despite being empty when we arrived the bar had a very cosy feel to it with the open fire going and by traditional decor. The lady behind the bar was very welcoming and couldn't have been more helpful. We were offered a small selection of sandwiches, bar snacks or a choice of meals from the main menu - which looked very appetising indeed. We ended up having Ham Hock with Piccalilli and Slow cooked Beef with Caramelised Onion sandwiches accompanied by small portions of plaice gujons and corned beef fritters - nothing spectacular about it but all very nicely put together, very tasty and delivered in good time. Just what we wanted.
Very pleasantly surprised considering some of the previous reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to return and would then like to sample the main menu.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

A friend booked a table here to celebrate his birthday, and with it being owned by Simon Rogan we were expecting some decent grub. I was famished heading here and with Rogan owning L'Enclume and Rogans in Cartmel already, I was expecting the Pig and Whistle (which is basically a country pub) to offer something a little different such as well made pub grub but I was wrong...

I had the venison and I couldn't fault the quality of the food, however the quantity was far too small. I've been to plenty of fancy restaurants (including michelin star) before where portion sizes are much smaller than you would expect elsewhere, but the size of the main course here was more like a starter! There were 2 small thinly cut slices of venison which were tasty and left me wanting more, along with a couple of small potatoes a bit of parsnip and some red cabbage.

When we were done we were all that hungry we had to pop to the takeaway on the way home for supper!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Salo_K-Bab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Uplands Hotel
#2 of 14 in Cartmel
Priory Hotel Cartmel
Priory Hotel Cartmel
#5 of 14 in Cartmel

Been to Pig and Whistle? Share your experiences!