“Brilliant B&B”

Ranked #1 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant B&B”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Broughton House - can't recommend it highly enough. Super comfortable rooms, amazing breakfasts and Cate's hospitality and attention to detail was excellent. Would thoroughly recommend and we plan to return!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Hello Becky - and thank you for writing such a lovely review of your stay with me, at Broughton House - and what a super-special, memorable weekend it turned out to be! I'll look out for you in London, in April - although you'll have gone home by the time I totter past - and I hope I can welcome you back to Broughton House in the future. With very best wishes to both of you - Cate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a really relaxing stay for two nights in East at Broughton House for our anniversary. Cate is a wonderful hostess and her breakfasts including pecan bread are a good way to start the day before exploring the local area. She made sure we were well looked after adding all the personal touches to make our stay special, comfortable and memorable.

Cartmel is also an unexpected treasure which added to the perfect break away.

Stuart and Belinda

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello Stuart and Belinda - thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent stay at Broughton House. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it, and I hope that the rest of your time in the Lakes, and your anniversary, went well. Big congratulations for last Friday! With best wishes, and thanks - Cate
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We thoroughly loved our stay at Broughton House. The house is full of charming and interesting character with many thoughtful and comfortable touches. Cate the host is so welcoming and successful at putting you at ease. She is also a brilliant producer of breakfasts, home made cakes, bread, warm fires and helpful advice on all things Cartmel. I'd recommend her breakfast fruit platter with yought and the scrambled egg with smoked salmon if you can't fit in the wonderful full cooked breakfast. Over breakfast we were amused to watch the antics of her hens escaping the Cumbrian downfalls. Our lovely comfortable well stocked bedroom was not en suite but that meant we had the lovely huge bathroom all to ourselves so if anything I would say it was an advantage. While we were there Cate was just finishing off the final touches to installing an en suite to another bedroom and the other bedroom we saw is en suite. Cartmel, a short drive away has lots of places to eat, a great cheese shop, mini brewery (with friendly brewer) and the famous village shop. We got a lift there one night and a taxi back which was very reasonable and easy. Other guests walked to a slightly nearer pub for a meal one night. You are in easy reach of the Southern Lakes and the coast which makes for a very richly varied memorable trip.

CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Hello you two - and thank you for so kindly reviewing your recent stay with me, at Broughton House. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your weekend, as it was a pleasure to meet you. You'll have to come back with your friends who couldn't come this time. Until then, thank you again - with best wishes - Cate (still the slowest runner in the world!)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had a fabulous half-term short stay at Broughton House. Travelling with my 13 year old twins, I was fully expecting to share a room with them, but Cate kindly offered them a room of their own. We arrived late on a cold day and Cate's son Ben had the fire blazing and the kettle on within minutes of us landing. The house is cosy and relaxed and you are very quickly put at your ease. The attention to detail is great - home baked biscuits and cake in the rooms and outside, on the landing, a huge wardrobe has been converted into a sort of help yourself tuck shop and repository for all the little things you often forget when travelling such as toothbrushes and phone chargers. The breakfasts were phenomenal and we also really enjoyed the company of Cate's pets, Muffin and Minty.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Hello Jeanette - and thank you for the lovely review. I did enjoy meeting you, and the children, and I loved reading their contributions to the comments book! I'm glad you had a good time here in Cumbria and I hope I can welcome you back with some sunshine, if you venture north again. I hope your eye is better, and that all the books are being devoured! Best wishes to all three - Cate
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

21-23 Feb. We chose the lovely Broughton House for my birthday weekend and I have to say we couldn't have chosen more wisely. Cate is a warm and truly sincere host. We arrived to the smell of baking shortbread a cold and rainy Friday and quickly settled into East room. It's just wonderful along with the ret if the house. I echo everything everyone has ever said here on TA. I'm not remotely surprised that she consistently gets such excellent reviews. We will never stay anywhere else in the lake district! And breakfast - Wow. Can't wait to try glamping in the Yurt some time in the future! Thank you so much Cate.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Maxine - and thank you very much for the splendid review of your stay at Broughton House. Your enthusiasm for everything was much appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoyed your break here - it's what I aim for. I hope to see you both again one of these days - with best wishes - Cate
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Cate works very hard at making everything perfect for your stay.
Broughton House makes you feel at home as soon as you walk in and that is down to Cate, Nothing is to much trouble and the home made cakes in the Room are a really nice touch.
The Bedroom was very comfortable and had charm, with a lovely view of the Garden.
Breakfast was delicious with home made bread, Jams and eggs from the Hens in the Garden.
We only stayed one night but would have liked more, we will be going back in the future.
It is a delightfull place to stay, and Cartmel village has a lot to offer.
Thanks Cate

CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello Jane - and thank you very much for writing me such a lovely review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at Broughton House, and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon - perhaps for a little longer next time? With best wishes - Cate
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Cate is friendly, and very welcoming, without being in the least bit overbearing. We stayed in the East room, which had a very comfortable and huge bed and so a great nights sleep. Lovely to sit in bed in the morning, drinking tea watching the birds out of the window too. Great homemade shortbread and brownies too. And the breakfasts were amazing, ordered the night before, we had a superb selection of fresh fruit, thick yogurt and pancakes. And brilliantly made fresh bread. I would defiantly recommend this B&B.

1 Thank Heather642014
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Hello Heather - and thank you very much indeed for writing me such a nice review, after your stay last weekend. I really enjoyed meeting you both, and I'm glad that you made the most of your weekend away, in spite of the weather (my mantra this winter!). I hope to be able to welcome you back - in sunshine next time! With best wishes - Cate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#5 of 15 in Cartmel
Grizedale Lodge
Grizedale Lodge
#1 of 1 in Grizedale

Been to Broughton House? Share your experiences!