“This must be the best B&B ever.”
Review of Broughton House

Broughton House
Ranked #1 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lovely place to stay. Tea and home made cookies on arrival, a lovely room, excellent breakfast - the fruit and Greek yogurt to die for- and a hostess whose attitude is that nothing is too much trouble. Shall definitely want to go again as Cartmel close to the Lakes and with some amazing restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hello - and thank you so much for writing your review. I can't guess who you are from your tripadvisor nom de plume, so I will just say that it was a pleasure to welcome you to Broughton House, and I hope to see you again soon - with best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were only able to stay one night at Broughton House (due to a slightly crazy itinerary driving around the UK over the last few days) and wish we could have stayed more.

Cate is a fantastic host - truly makes you feel at home. Warm, kind and welcoming (thank you again for the lift!) - it was very much appreciated, especially after the long trek up to Cartmel.

The room we stayed in (East) was just beautiful, lovely views, an incredibly comfortable bed (such a good night's sleep) and spacious bathroom. It was all the little touches too - all the teas you could choose from, delicious in room nibbles (brownies=amazing!), things you could use in case you forgot anything. Plus a very tasty breakfast in the morning.

I don't often write reviews on here, but I certainly felt compelled to on this occasion. It made a special birthday weekend all the more lovely....Safe to say - we would love to come back and stay here again one day. Thanks again Cate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hello you two - and thank you for so kindly reviewing your recent stay with me, at Broughton House. It was lovely to meet you both, and to play a small part in making the birthday weekend special. I hope the rest of your travels went well, and that you made it back to the South coast safely - thank you again for all the kind comments - with very best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is just the most charming place to stay. Cate is a delight, warm, friendly and most welcoming. Felt like I was at home and could have stayed forever. The house is charming, rooms beautifully decorated with every small detail in place to make your stay comfortable. I would definitely go back and highly recommend Broughton House.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hello Madge! Sisterly minds must think alike - I replied to Trudie only yesterday, so what a treat to hear from sunny (I hope) LA too. Thank you for the lovely comments about Broughton House. It was super to meet you, and - should you ever pass this way again - I hope I'll be able to welcome you back - with best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was a lovely stay sorry not there for longer. One night stay charming hostess greeted with tea and lovely home bakes. Bedroom beautifully done, breakfast fab would definitely go back. Garden beautiful and views down the valley from the bedroom window. The village of Catmel is charming with good eateries a short ten minute drive in lovely country lanes.

Room Tip: Only three rooms all beautiful or stay in the Yurt in the garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Hello Trudie (& Madge) - and thank you for so kindly reviewing your recent stay at Broughton House. It was a treat to meet two such globe trotting sisters, and I hope you enjoyed your subsequent visit to your brother? I hope too that you had safe journeys home. Haste ye back - with best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My Husband and I recently made a return trip to Broughton House, this time with our friend and our dog in tow. We had seen the yurt on our first visit and were keen to return, which we were finally able to do last week. Much has been said about the warmth and generosity of Cate's hospitality, and I can only reiterate that. Last time I gave some details about the B&B but this time we stayed in the yurt and cabin.

The yurt is now a very solid construction which was an unexpected and welcome surprise, since the last time we saw it it was a very sturdy looking tent type thing. That looked inviting enough, but now it is a permanent feature. We weren't blessed with the weather, but we managed to have one wonderful evening eating outside and talking together round the fire pit. The second evening we were cosy in the yurt which kept out the wind and rain.

The yurt is spacious and very comfortable, with lighting and power points throughout. The cabin makes the whole experience a very civilised affair! A bathroom with shower, double bedroom and a fitted kitchen - not exactly roughing it! All linen and towels provided. Both the cabin and yurt have heaters so we were dry, warm, comfortable and very very happy for a few nights in the Lakes. For a small extra charge per night you can also have breakfast and I would highly recommend this to anyone thinking of staying. A day that starts with one of Cate's breakfasts is always going to be a good day.

This is a great base to explore the Lakes, but more than that, it is a wonderful place to come and spend a bit of time in its own right. We love Cartmel, but I think we love Broughton House even more. I think at the moment the yurt is only available to stay in through the summer, but if that were to be extended then I would have no hesitation in staying here any time of the year because it is warm and comfortable.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and will be back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anna56
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hello Anna, Stuart, Trine & the lovely Beau - and thank you for your super review of your weekend in the new, improved Yurt. It is indeed a lovely space, so I'm glad that you liked it too. It will be available year round, and wouldn't it be cosy being in it under a blanket of snow? I hope the spanish summer goes well, Trine, and thank you Anna and Stuart, for returning to Broughton House. 'Til the next time....best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Cate is the perfect hostess: no fuss;warm welcome; all needs anticipated: a stay at Broughton House is truly relaxing and like staying with friends.

We chose Broughton on the basis of Tripadvisor recommendations and I am delighted to endorse all the many positive things which visitors have written previously.

Bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious and well-fitted. The location is beautiful.

We stayed for three nights and will return for more of Cate's breakfasts which are lovingly and skilfully produced with a little help from the hens in the garden whose egg yolks are the sunniest you've ever seen!

1  Thank hodscot
CATE D D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello you two - and thank you for so kindly reviewing your recent stay with me at Broughton House. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it - in spite of my kitchen (or lack of it!) dramas - you were the perfect guests, and I think you made the most of what this beautiful part of South Cumbria has to offer - both culturally, and gastronomically. Thank you again for coming to stay with me - with best wishes - Cate

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Forget all your worries and head off to Broughton House. Its more like visiting a favourite relative and enjoying a family style get together. I doubt you can be more welcomed anywhere....even the dog and hens seem glad to meet you. Cate is remarkable....nothing is too much trouble....the accommodation, east wing, was excellent...the bed one of the best I have slept in... breakfast first class... including fabulous home made bread & jams.
The gardens are a delight and the location is so peaceful but only a few minutes by car to the excellent restaurants in Cartmel.

1  Thank Smarttonka

Hello there - and thank you for saying all those nice things about your recent stay with me. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Your tripadvisor name has me scratching my head, so I hope I'm right in asking if you've planted your smellier than normal "Star of Bethlehem" plant?! It was lovely to meet you, and I hope I can welcome you back to Broughton House soon - with best wishes to both - Cate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#2 of 15 in Cartmel
Grizedale Lodge
Grizedale Lodge
#1 of 1 in Grizedale

Been to Broughton House? Share your experiences!