“Very good. a few flaws.”

and 1 more site!
Aynsome Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cartmel
Liverpool
“Very good. a few flaws.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The reviews and conversations we had when we stayed show how highly rated the hotel is, and we would agree with most of what was said. There were a few things however which stopped us giving it the highest rating.
The food was of a very high standard, and the wine list offered a good choice at very reasonable prices. There were a number of wines around £20 which were excellent value. We booked a two nights package which covered a 5 course dinner, bed, and breakfast. The portions were generous, and the main course came with a dish of vegetables, including two types of potato. This was the case even when the main of sirloin steak came on mashed potato. After the dessert we were too full for the cheese course, and even the petit fours. The food was seasonal and locally sourced but I would recommend just going for two or three courses rather than five.
The breakfast was again excellent with a good buffet and freshly prepared dishes including kippers and smoked haddock with poached egg. It wasn't very busy when we were there and even though we started at 9.15, 30 minutes before breakfast ended, we felt pressured to finish at 9.45. We didn't mind the buffet being taken away, but the starting to clear our table felt like a clear message to leave.
We stayed in room 4 which had a bath rather than a shower, as I was asked which I would prefer when I booked. My wife prefers a bath but I missed having a shower. The bathroom was down three steps, and like the room could have done with a freshen up. It looked out over the courtyard at the back so there was no sense of the attractive location. The T.V. was so small it didn't seem worth having and we used our iPads.
Overall I can see why people like it so much but there were too many niggles for me to join in the rave reviews, and I was slightly disappointed with our stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 has some drawbacks which I describe in the review.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank petefLiverpool

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Colchester
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Although I stayed for one night on business I feel compelled to share how great the hotel was.
As soon as I arrived the service was fanstastic, the owner and staff couldn't do enough to make my stay as comfortable as possible.
Dinner was arranged in the dinning room at short notice, the silver service was impeccable and the food amazing.
The only down side was having to leave the next morning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ben T
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Having stayed at this lovely hotel, and eaten in their wonderful restaurant a number of times, I feel I should leave my compliments. The location is so relaxing and peaceful, Chris with Andrea and their staff, are truely very welcoming, and no little request is too much for them to deal with. The standard of service is superb, and to go with this are the fabulous meals prepared and presented beautifully to tantalise your pallet. The dishes offered are varied throughout the seasons, so there is always something to please, along with an extensive and varied wine cellar to compliment whatever your choice should be. I will be in the area again during this year and will certainly be returning to this gorgeous location, to enjoy the very special experience the Aynsome Manor Hotel and it's wonderful staff has to offer everyone. Very Highly Recommended

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny00777
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just an overnight whilst celebrating our son's 21st but made to feel extremely welcome.
Hotel has real charm and character in a beautiful setting.
Dinner in evening was very memorable with superb service and good menu. Staff attentive and very considerate. A million miles from Hilton/Marriott fare.....Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Minimcmahon
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have visited on a number of occasions previously, and have to say that there is something so very special about Aynsome that makes us return at least once a year! It isn't just us either, many of the other guests were returning visitors too. Hosts chris and Andrea undoubtedly are the magic ingredient with their caring, lovely personalities, although the whole package is lovely - food is great, rooms lovely etc etc. I really cannot add more than the other glowing reviews say. I would totally recommend anyone to stay here, and I guarantee you will return time after time?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank keren056
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I booked Aynsome Manor at the last minute on last Thursday evening for a week-end away starting on Friday. It was not the sort of hotel we normal stay in as we usually go for modern boutique type of hotels. What a pleasant change this was - roaring fires, old fashioned surroundings and a very warm welcome. The food was excellent and we ate in the hotel both Friday and Saturday night. Nothing was too much trouble for our host and owner Chris who kept us entertained with stories from his past and present times in the hospitality business. The village of Cartmel is lovely with lots of very nice indepentant shops where everyone makes you feel very welcome. We also had a very enjoyable trip on the boat from Lakeside to Boness on the Saturday as we were very lucky with the weather. All in all a very enjoyable week-end. In fact we tried to book for my husbands birthday which isn't until December but the hotel are fully booked so will have to try another time as we definately want to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank L0cket
Newtown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A great mid-week break in early February. The Aynsome Manor retains its deserved reputation for excellent service and cuisine. From arrival to departure we received wonderful attention from all the staff. The hotel continues to invest in a regular programme of refurbishment and upgrading the property which we have noted from previous visits. Would unhesitatingly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a break in the Lakes.

Room Tip: Try Room 12 - it is a little bigger and has a brand new bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rhodri T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Uplands Hotel
#2 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
Netherwood
Netherwood
#5 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to Aynsome Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!