“Fantastic food”

The Engine Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A traditional "Country Pub" providing "posh pub food" 7 days per week with a traditional Sunday roast weekly. Recently refurbished comfortable rooms at very reasonable rates.
London
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Had evening meal while on holiday. The staff was very friendly and atmosphere was really welcoming. Food was very tasty, portions really large. Menu was good with reasonable choice Lager was great. We spent lovely time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Preston, United Kingdom
“Drinks Only”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Wow this is a bit of a erm find. Great Beer, Great staff and not to hard to find if you are in this part of the world.

We didnt have food, though they do serve NAGA Curry, purportedly the world's hottest for 12 pounds or so and have a good menu by the looks of it.

The ale's were fantastic and it's a nice pub for pulling up and watching the world go by

Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
“Slow service, too many dogs and dog hair carpets but the food was good - eventually”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stumble across this place while on holiday last week. We stopped for an evening meal and were disappointed. We were not greeted on arrival, seated ourselves and had to request a menu from the bar and approach the bar to order our own drinks and food. This was not an issue as we often frequent establishments where this is protocol. However, we waited too long for our food which was surprising considering it was fairly quiet. My 7 year old and 18 month old were becoming irritable, bored and hungry waiting. I was very conscious of the other customers seated at the bar and I took them a walk down the river. When we returned 15 minutes later there was still no food, after another five minutes my husband took the children to the little park across the road to play while we waited even longer. There was still no food, explanation or apology from the young bar man so my mother husband, our children and I sat outside for a while. When we returned inside we were greeted by jasper, a friendly big dog I presume belongs to the owner, however he was sat right underneath the table we were seated at leaving little space for my mum and son to sit. If we hadn't already paid up front and were not so tired and hungry from our traveling we would have most definitely left at this point. The bar man eventually brought us our food and called the dog away, however the dog didn't budge, only moving near the end of our meal to watch us eat and eat the morsels of food dropped by my toddler. Trust me dog drool is not nice and put me off my food. The food itself was great, if not slightly over priced. The steaks were cooked as requested, my husband devoured the burger and the portions were good. We did not order my daughter her own meal as at 18 month she eats the tiniest of portions, instead we requested a small plate and gave her some vegetables from our plate and a small amount of her big brothers meal. This did not appear to be an issue for the staff which we appreciated. Another positive was the kindness shown by the bar man and the young girl sat by the bar (I'm not sure if she worked there) when my daughter fell outside cutting her head. They nor the other customers appeared faced by the noise of her screams, showing only concern for her well being. We were never once asked if we needed anything or if we enjoyed our meal. The interactions with staff were almost non existent in the hours we spent there other than when my daughter injured herself, and floor was strewn with dog hair. I was genuinely concerned about hygiene when my daughters toys and juice cup fell onto the floor. Needless to say we didn't
stay for desert and couldn't return. The long wait and dogs in an establishment where food is being served was just too much for us. Perhaps this is just the way of English country pubs and our expectations were just too high?

4 Thank Annod_396
Southport
“Bit rough round the edges”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had a meal here once while on holiday. Not a lot of choice on the evening we went, but staff nice and friendly, lovely log fire. Lots of children running around, so families welcome. The outside looks a bit scruffy, not a good impressions really as its the first thing you see, a union jack flag all in tatters flying from the front, some painting needed. Very busy so must be popular, just not for me, I like a bit of quite when eating and a good variety of food, takes all sorts.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank June61Southport
newton aycliffe
“Attitude Problem”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family and I recently visited the Engine. My son in law went into the pub to check that a table was available and were serving food, he was told yes this was no problem.
We were shown to a table and given menus, my son in law went to bar to be told someone would come to take orders we waited and finally after about half an hour a young man came to do so
we gave him our drinks order and he was coming back for food order. He came back and informed us chef refused to cook it. We asked to see manager and a lady came back and informed us we had been asked twice for our order and we had not given it. This is an out and out lie and the people on the other two tables can verify this as one of them told us they had waited half an hour and could not believe what she had said to us.
I would not recommend this place as customer service was appalling and to be called liars is not acceptable.
Standards very low