“Everything I wanted in a country B and B”
Review of Stanley House

Stanley House
Ranked #8 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had the most relaxing and accommodating stay at the Stanley house. It is in the perfect location for walkers, with many different walks all easily accessible. There is a stream right behind the house next to very well kept gardens. It is absolutely picturesque with the backdrop of mountains and valleys. The moment I opened the car door, all I could here was the sound of the river, nothing else.

The rooms are neat and tidy with a very comfortable bed and nice warm shower. The house itself is very warm and cozy.

What I have been most impressed by is the friendliness of the staff. Lettie who manages the house was waiting for me even though I had arrived at 12am. She was very kind and welcoming, showing me around, and telling me to treat it like it was my own home. She even offered to fix me some food. The next day she had prepared a lovely breakfast and also advised me on walks to take. She even loaned me a map as I was looking to buy one. All in all it was my perfect mix of attentiveness without the formality of a hotel. Staff weren't always around but there were phones everywhere that automatically dialled a number to the sister inn where you could be in contact with a staff member.

Stanley House truly is a gem and I will not hesitate to stay there again. Beautiful countryside without the hoards of tourist and one of the funniest and kind managers.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joel N

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Eskdale is one of our favourite places in The Lakes to stay - its beautiful. Having camped countless times and stayed in a local cottage, and The Chalets, we decided to give The Stanley House a try. We booked a family room, which accommodated myself, my husband, 2 year old son and our dog Sammy! We were fortunate enough to have the hotel to ourselves which certainly ensured that we got undivided attention. From the moment we arrived the welcome we received by Letty was 2nd to none - I have to say nothing was too much trouble. Ok, so your always going to pay top dollar when you stay in such a beautiful place like Eskdale, and yes, The Stanley House could do with a few minor touch ups .... But you actually cant put a price on a stay which you are assured fantastic customer service, thats is rare to come by, and priceless. The open larder is a lovely touch, the breakfast was fantastic and the relaxed atmosphere was just perfect. Would we have had a different experience if the hotel was full - I don't know .... We would stay again but would probably check if Letty was still there beforehand as she made our stay so much more enjoyable with her friendliness, professionalism, fun nature and general loveliness. Our son and Sammy were taken with both Letty & Lesley and we thank them both for an enjoyable stay... p.s the horses were fantastic too :-)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Faded_Tan_9
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently visited Stanley House in Eskdale with the children, and had such a lovely time. The customer service is second to none, Letty was fantastic, the perfect hostess, entertaining the children with the playstation and laying a warm and inviting fire in the logburner where we enjoyed a ice cold bottle of rose wine. The perfect way to spend a rather cool and damp Saturday afternoon, after tacking the hair raising Wyrnose and Hardnott Passes! In the evening, we enjoyed a first class meal the Woolpack Inn, their sister hotel, a fantastic Inn, serving real ale and mouthwatering Pizzas, once again made by Letty, and providing lots of entertainment for the kids with a selection of games and the odd game of pool. Our family suite was ideal, with comfortable beds, a hot shower and fantastic views of both the railway and the beautiful stream and gardens which lay adjacent to the hotel. Best nights sleep ive had in ages! Breakfast at Stanley House is a whole new experience, delicious to say the least, and you can watch the Herdwick Sheep grazing outside or the cows being herded down the road. All in all, we had a wonderful time and would love to return. This is no ordinary B&B! Thanks again to Letty for making us so welcome, we would love to come again!.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Melanie D
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding and the hotel and related pub (two miles up the road) both fantastic. Gorgeous location with panoramic breakfast room. Sound of river esk babbling away nearby. I've in caretaker lady at the hotel extremely friendly and helpful. Will return.

They have food available for you to snack on too - milk, cereal, bread, cheese.. Which is a lovely touch. Home made bread particularly fine.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nocock
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just come back from family holiday with over 33 people contained of 3 generations, had excellent time and it was worth every penny. We booked the whole house to ourselves for 3 days which turned out to be a memorable family time together and we are thinking of booking it again next year. The rooms were spacious with en suite bathrooms. Kitchen dinning was huge and the view is amazing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Saeeda A
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay here for our 25th wedding anniversary. Everything was excellent and made even better by the friendly staff at Stanley House and The Woolpack. We really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at this B n B with the open larder, friendly breakfast chat from staff and other guests. As other reviews state the army truck ride to the Woolpack is a must, such a fun experience, and not just open to guests at Stanley house, during our journey there were two families fron Fisherground and Eskdale campsites, their kids loved it. I noticed some negative comments about room size, well ours was a fab size, a large king size + bed loads of storage two easy chairs a coffee table and tv, and still lots of room to move around. The en suite was also large with a full size bath with shower over. Eskdale itself is the gem of the lakes far from the crowds but some lovely walks and the lovely Ravenglass and Eskdale railway. If you want loads of shops then this isn't the place for you but if you want peaceful, beautiful surroundings and a friendly welcome come here! Between Stanley house and the Woolpack inn you will have a great stay no matter what the weather!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kath T
Reviewed 19 July 2013

When I booked this online I wasn't sure which place it was in Eskdale and when I arrived I felt I might have made a mistake as in the past the building had been a hostel rather than a hotel. I need not have worried because it has been nicely redecorate and is a very pleasant place to stay.
The room was clean and quiet with a lovely view over the large grounds which go right down to the River Esk where you can swim or sit by the river.
Breakfast was excellent.
They don't do an evening meal but they will give you a lift to The Woolpack which is owned by the same people, and does an excellent menu and good beer. I chose to walk back for the exercise which took 30 minutes.
Service was fine and very relaxed and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Keith R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
Lutwidge Arms Hotel
#2 of 3 in Boot
Bower House Inn
Bower House Inn
#4 of 10 in Eskdale

Been to Stanley House? Share your experiences!