“"Owd Codgers on Tour"”

Ranked #6 of 7 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Oldham, United Kingdom
“"Owd Codgers on Tour"”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We're a largely male walking group from the Manchester area. We arrived for a 2 night stay on 16th March. Throughout the stay, the staff were brilliant, the rooms were clean and well appointed and the beds were comfy. The breakfasts were superb, as were the self catering facilities in the kitchen, which included a large selection of food on offer, which is a unique experience, in my view, but very well received. It would be remiss, in appending this review, if I didn't pay tribute to Lette, who, when one of our party was, unfortunately, taken ill, went the extra mile, by providing blankets and tea for our colleague, as well contacting the local doctor for a telephone consultation. Many thanks, Lette. All in all, an excellent short stay in a wonderful, old fashioned hotel, which we would certainly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kevin M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Not a fan of B&Bs normally, call me snobby but I like my hotels, the posher the better, however all that changed with this stay!

We booked the only room not taken by a large family gathering - the house is often let out to large groups and offers special deals for this - however this just added to the whole experience.

Everything was so relaxed and laid back, the place is just like being at home, with two large lounge areas, a big open plan kitchen from which you can help yourself to whatever is around, and even a downstairs cinema area in the cellar!

We ate an evening meal at the pub linked to the B&B down the road - about a mile and a half away - but didn't have to worry about the walk in the dark and the rain as they came from the pub to pick us up, and dropped us off at the end of the night.

Perfect for walkers, with a drying area for wet boots and clothes as well as a large wood burning fire, this was one of the best places I have ever stayed, and certainly the most fun. Who needs posh hotels, this was far better!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RobH1977
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at Stanley House for 7 nights between the 26th October - 2nd November 2013. It was our first visit to Stanley house and Eskdale. The House is fantastic, it is the perfect blend of hotel and home from home. The downstairs living rooms are very comfortable and well equipped. The open kitchen with fridge where you can help yourself is a very nice touch, it was always well stocked and the fact that it is free to make sandwiches soup etc is brilliant. The house also has a private 3D cinema which was very well kitted out and a really nice feature. The bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms were good sized and well equipped, although maybe they could do with a bit of modernisation at some point soon.
There is lovely garden and ample parking (which makes a change for the Lakes). The location is fantastic for walkers, and with 3 good pubs in walking distance there are great food and drink options.
The house is also very dog friendly, our dog was made to feel very at home. Stanley house attracts a nice mix of friendly people, the house always seemed busy but never overcrowded.
What really made our stay most enjoyable was Colette (Letty) the house manager, she cooked up superb breakfasts every day and couldn't be more helpful and friend, she offers great advice on the local area and her enthusiasm for the area and house are infectious.
We have already recommended it to family and friends and will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Over looking the river confluence is great, although all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben S
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I came here on my 30th birthday after staying in newby bridge the passed 2 days in a awful hotel. They fitted us in on the day. they were so accommodating so friendly. Breakfast was lovely not one complaint. Will defo come back but with the dog this time.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Spartacus1983
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had the most relaxing and accommodating stay at the Stanley house. It is in the perfect location for walkers, with many different walks all easily accessible. There is a stream right behind the house next to very well kept gardens. It is absolutely picturesque with the backdrop of mountains and valleys. The moment I opened the car door, all I could here was the sound of the river, nothing else.

The rooms are neat and tidy with a very comfortable bed and nice warm shower. The house itself is very warm and cozy.

What I have been most impressed by is the friendliness of the staff. Lettie who manages the house was waiting for me even though I had arrived at 12am. She was very kind and welcoming, showing me around, and telling me to treat it like it was my own home. She even offered to fix me some food. The next day she had prepared a lovely breakfast and also advised me on walks to take. She even loaned me a map as I was looking to buy one. All in all it was my perfect mix of attentiveness without the formality of a hotel. Staff weren't always around but there were phones everywhere that automatically dialled a number to the sister inn where you could be in contact with a staff member.

Stanley House truly is a gem and I will not hesitate to stay there again. Beautiful countryside without the hoards of tourist and one of the funniest and kind managers.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Joel N
England
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Eskdale is one of our favourite places in The Lakes to stay - its beautiful. Having camped countless times and stayed in a local cottage, and The Chalets, we decided to give The Stanley House a try. We booked a family room, which accommodated myself, my husband, 2 year old son and our dog Sammy! We were fortunate enough to have the hotel to ourselves which certainly ensured that we got undivided attention. From the moment we arrived the welcome we received by Letty was 2nd to none - I have to say nothing was too much trouble. Ok, so your always going to pay top dollar when you stay in such a beautiful place like Eskdale, and yes, The Stanley House could do with a few minor touch ups .... But you actually cant put a price on a stay which you are assured fantastic customer service, thats is rare to come by, and priceless. The open larder is a lovely touch, the breakfast was fantastic and the relaxed atmosphere was just perfect. Would we have had a different experience if the hotel was full - I don't know .... We would stay again but would probably check if Letty was still there beforehand as she made our stay so much more enjoyable with her friendliness, professionalism, fun nature and general loveliness. Our son and Sammy were taken with both Letty & Lesley and we thank them both for an enjoyable stay... p.s the horses were fantastic too :-)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Faded_Tan_9
Crook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently visited Stanley House in Eskdale with the children, and had such a lovely time. The customer service is second to none, Letty was fantastic, the perfect hostess, entertaining the children with the playstation and laying a warm and inviting fire in the logburner where we enjoyed a ice cold bottle of rose wine. The perfect way to spend a rather cool and damp Saturday afternoon, after tacking the hair raising Wyrnose and Hardnott Passes! In the evening, we enjoyed a first class meal the Woolpack Inn, their sister hotel, a fantastic Inn, serving real ale and mouthwatering Pizzas, once again made by Letty, and providing lots of entertainment for the kids with a selection of games and the odd game of pool. Our family suite was ideal, with comfortable beds, a hot shower and fantastic views of both the railway and the beautiful stream and gardens which lay adjacent to the hotel. Best nights sleep ive had in ages! Breakfast at Stanley House is a whole new experience, delicious to say the least, and you can watch the Herdwick Sheep grazing outside or the cows being herded down the road. All in all, we had a wonderful time and would love to return. This is no ordinary B&B! Thanks again to Letty for making us so welcome, we would love to come again!.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Melanie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
Forest How Guest House
#2 of 2 in Boot
The Boot Inn
The Boot Inn
#1 of 3 in Boot

Been to Stanley House? Share your experiences!