“what a marvellous pass!”
Review of Wrynose Pass

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Eskdale
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“what a marvellous pass!”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

It's like being in the Alps, and - should you be fortunate enough to have the road to yourself - it is quite a white knuckle ride for those used to city streets and flat country roads. If this appeals, then do the double and go over 1 in 3 Hardknott too - to beautiful Eskdale. If anyone's following you - let them pass!

London, England
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A great driving road worth the trip”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I drove through Wrynose Pass simply for the TopGear fan in me trying to find a fun driving road. I wasn't disappointed, when empty its a fantastically fun poke with slaloms and steep incline hairpins to throw the car around. It isn't a fast road but half the fun is taking in your surroundings and looking ahead at the ribbon of road laid out for miles ahead of you.

If you are a driving fan or just want a nice view make the short trip from Ambleside

Diss, United Kingdom
295 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 307 helpful votes
“Wow, not for the faint hearted!”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband is a keen cyclist and whilst in the lake district he was determined to attempt to cycle up and down the Wrynose Pass. So he abandoned me in a remote car park near Skelwith Bridge, with a book, and set off only to return an hour and half later elated because he had achieved what he had set out to do! Then it was my turn, no not to cycle up it but to be a passenger in the car. To say I'm not keen on hilly single track roads is an understatement, so with my stomach in mouth we set off. Fortunately it was worth it as the views were stunning, despite some very hairy moments when we met two vans and tried to squeeze past them at a passing point trying to avoid the large rocks and tippling over the edge. My husband was disappointed though because after we had driven through Wrynose Pass we came to Hard Rock Pass which he would have liked to have continued his cycle ride through but hey ho, another time; he had waited until he was 57 to do Wrynose Pass! Anyway at the end of the drive we came upon the delightful Ravenglass Railway, another place worth a visit, (read my review of that).

Visited August 2011