“Disappointed !!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointed !!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner booked us a weekend away here as a valentines surprise. We checked in, the gentleman was 'ok' took us to our room and left. The room looked lovely but had a terrible smell of damp, we had to leave the bathroom door open to air it! Going down for food, if your a fussy eater the menu isn't fab, the staff all look like they have the weight if the world on their shoulders....and to be spoken to nicely ...you have to speak in a posh tongue! Us being from Newcastle , a lot of people don't understand our accents which is fine but to be made to feel inferior because of it is wrong! My partner asked for a plain pizza but was told it was pepperoni or nothing but the manager did say he would 'pick the pepperoni off if we wanted' asked for a plain burger with none of the spices on but we were told they were basically frozen burgers and couldn't change them. I asked for a steak with peppercorn sauce instead of the Stilton and port sauce as I'm allergic to cheese, my partner eventually settled on fish and chips! As I bit into my sauce covered steak i was shocked to be able to taste cheese, I told a member of staff who assured me there was no cheese in it. I said to my partner 'if it's not cheese then the cream is off'...along came the manager who basically couldn't be bothered to listen, said it tasted fine to him but, and I quote, 'sometimes accidents happen in the kitchen and ingredients can go off' after costing me £20 I wasn't about to waste it so I scraped the sauce of and begrudgingly ate it! Breakfast all the staff are miserable and need a customer service refresher course. We asked for some clean towels but wer told to wait till they came to refresh the room- 3 hours later still no clean towels, cups and no refreshed room but plenty attitude from the gentleman behind the desk! Whilst eating my Sunday dinner, I pulled out of my mouth a bit of rope that holds the joint of beef together, shocking that it would escape the kitchens attention whilst dishing up!telling the gentleman what I had found he basically shrugged his shoulders, no apology no nothing and took my plate away. His attitude stinks and is the least helpful and cooperative person I have ever met. I felt deflated, angry and very upset. I had been made to feel not good enough, common and frowned upon! I feel we were badly treat either because we weren't 'posh' or because we are gay. The whole trip was a disaster, my partner went down and complained and was basically told that we wer imagining it and I was being silly. Because I was upset I just wanted to leave... We were refunded for the Sunday night because we wer leaving early but we're told " I will refund you only on the understanding you don't give us a bad review" TOO LATE. As I left there was no apology, no explanation for the way he made me feel just a simple goodbye! To me that speaks volumes....if he gave 2 hoots about his guests and what we thought he would be correcting his mistakes! I will not recommend this place to anyone, if your face fits your welcome, if not....LEAVE. I'm disgusted.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Haylielise
thomasirton, Manager at Irton Hall B&B, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Sadly every now and then you get someone who you just cannot please. Being in this trade it does happen from time to time and I accept that but when writing inaccurate statements like this on the pretext they were discriminated against, its so ridiculous its almost laughable!

I will go through events in reality explaining what happened from the beginning and how despite everyone trying their best to accommodate them, they were hell bent on having a bad time.

On check in these two women approached the desk and were greeted with the usual Irton Hall warm welcome. As the east coast is only 2.5 hours away we have many customers come to stay with us and there certainly wasn't any language difficulty. They were informed that we were very busy and the restaurant was fully booked but they were still able to eat in the bar area. After being shown to their room one of the ladies came down asking about the restaurant, as it was a special occasion and really wanted a table. After rearranging the restaurant and bringing an extra table up from the store room we were able to accommodate them for their special meal. Once in the restaurant they informed me that one of them was a fussy eater to which I said shouldn't be a problem as our menu is quite extensive. As I don't think they realised that all the food is locally sourced and home cooked they asked if the spices can be taken out of the burger to which I replied they have already been made in a batch, seasoned and prepared (We would never use bought in frozen produce) We had a homemade pizza of the day on our specials menu and with the busy evening ahead the chef had pre prepped them so all that was needed was to be cooked. We are certainly not a pizza hut serving all you can eat jelly and ice cream as I think this couple had wanted. After going through all items on the menu the guest settled for a steak with no seasoning or salad and asked if they could have a peppercorn sauce not the stilton as per the menu. The waitress of course said 'yes' and asked the chef to make it fresh as it is not on our menu. After the waitress had checked once with the couple if everything was ok to which they said it was, I was concerned when the young waitress asked me to speak to the table as they were being rude towards her. When checking with the couple they informed me that there was cheese in the peppercorn sauce and she was allergic to cheese, I noticed that all of the steak and most of the peppercorn sauce had been eaten and had she wanted a new sauce one could have been made. I said there shouldn't be any cheese in the sauce but as she was adamant I would check 'as accidents do happen' with the chef who had just made it (peppercorns crushed, cooking cream, brandy and gravy) only our usual ingredients. I checked all ingredients to make sure of quality and freshness and then had the unenviable task of informing the guests that we have checked and cannot understand it. I offered an apology but there was no mention of the allergic reaction. As customer satisfaction is paramount to us I was left confused and stunned that they had though it contained cheese but as we had checked and re-checked put it down to a one off and of course took the sauce from their bill.
The next morning one of the ladies asked if the towels get changed during their stay, I said that the house keepers will be making their rounds later and if new towels are required they will be left on the bed after the room is done as per our sustainability policy, which she acknowledged and excepted. An hour later the same woman came down shouting and being aggressive again about not receiving her towels. I apologized for the misunderstanding as I thought it was merely an inquiry if we offer a chamber maid service and proceeded to get fresh towels myself immediately.
They ladies came down for lunch in the bar which was a freshly roasted beef joint with real homemade gravy and lots of seasonal vegetables. Sadly as one didn’t like vegetables we were able to offer another choice from the menu. As we were now seeing a trend in their behavior towards staff I dealt with them directly to try and avoid any further issues. Sadly not the case! When checking if everything was satisfactory I was shown a 1cm length piece of string. As she quite rightly noted it had been used to tie the beef with but the chef had failed to notice it when plating up the meal, I was quite annoyed as new that everything needed to be spot on to avoid further bother. When clearing the plate which this time had hardly been touched one of the ladies passed comment of ‘You’re not doing very well here are you’ which made me realise that whatever we did from offer free food/drinks was not going to appease this couple who were hell bent on causing bother and having a sour time. So when they came down saying they wanted to check out early I was only too pleased to oblige. It was only when she informed me they were not going to be paying for their room that evening (even though I had turned other customers away) I had cause for concern and asked what it was that we had done so very wrong to warrant this behavior. The answer ‘You have been treating us like scum’ startled even me who had expected some story of woe. Still not understanding how on earth they could have thought this being as we don’t discriminate with any person no matter of race, colour or sex. The Irton Hall is a B&B and not a five star hotel but we all try our best to make guests feel relaxed and at home (As per previous Trip Advisor comments!) I mentioned that as soon as the ‘Cheese’ episode had happened nothing we did was good enough and that they were looking for fault in all we do and we were never going to win.
Being the soft touch that I am relented and said that they didn’t have to pay for the second night despite our cancellation policy, even though we would be paying commission on the booking anyway. I asked only that as no doubt they would purposely be adding a negative comment on trip Advisor (What a surprise) they take into account that they had been saved a nights full room charge as I wanted them to bare no ill feeling of their experience.

I feel saddened that they felt it necessary to create a Trip Advisor account only to post a very personal but highly inaccurate review as they knew that we care about our score.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here in the Ormondroyd Cottage with my friends recently as part of a celebration weekend.

We hadn't heard of it before and were just sort of hoping for the best but when we arrived but what we got was far better than I could have hoped for.

The service was great the man from reception took us over to our cottage and showed us where to park and explained about the bar/reception if we wished to use it. When we walked into the cottage I was taken stunned at how big it was and how homely it all was. The wood burner was a gorgeous touch and the huge kitchen area made it feel like a home away from home. Plus all the facilities that were included were great (so many times in self catering you find you have to bring your whole kitchen with you, but not here)

The views from the bedroom were stunning, the bed was super comfortable and the shower was amazing!!!

It was just an overall lovely experience. On top of that when I got back to County Durham I realised I had left my Hunter wellies in the cottage, but Tom and Steve were nothing but helpful in helping to get them back to me.

Overall it will not disappoint and next time I am in the lakes I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I booked the Clock Tower at Irton Hall for my birthday weekend. It is a separate, self-catering building in the grounds of the Hall itself. It sleeps 10 (although there is 1 set of bunk beds, but we didn't mind). The location is beautiful, very much out of the way of anything and perfect for a weekend getaway. We stayed for 3 nights & got a very good rate.
We arrived on Friday at around 2pm. Although check in isn't until 4pm, we were told that the accommodation was ready & we could go ahead & get settled in. The rooms were very clean & nicely decorated, and each room had an en suite. The living area is very large, with a well equipped kitchen, ideal for a gathering or party. It seems like they had thought of everything. Towels supplied, every kitchen implement you could think of, and even a Playstation.
We had breakfast twice across at the Hall, delicious food. The staff couldn't be more helpful, particularly Debbie who looked after us very well when we had breakfast in a hungover state on Sunday.
We all thoroughly enjoyed it, and I would love to go back again at some point.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Egremont, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Myself and my husband have stayed here about 5 times now even though we only live 10 minutes away you could be anywhere, staff are friendly and helpful and love to have a crack, the food is fantastic, never had a bad meal, rooms are immaculate. Love staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We spent the weekend of 14th Feb with our 2 small dogs, excellent accommodation and helpful staff. Clean comfortable room with large bed, TV, spacious bathroom with lovely spa bath. Good centre for walks and visits to Wast Water and Coniston. Lots of good dog friendly pubs in the areas too.

Stayed February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Irton hall is described as a luxurious B&B and that it is. Friendly staff, cosy lounge bar, good breakfast and beautiful surroundings give this place a lovely charm. Tariff very reasonable for two nights over the weekend and that included full English breakfast which was excellent. The only thing letting the place down was the food slightly in the hotel, due to the location we had to eat in the hotel for both nights, the first meal was nice very much like a beef eater but better quality ingredients, but the second night we both had a stake burger which unfortunately fell apart as soon as being picked up and tasted of nothing but pepper also desert was microwaved so half hot half cold and filling was all shriveled to nothing.
We would return but find other places to eat before hand. All in all lovely place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Irton hall was a wonderful stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We needed some directions and they were very useful. We stayed in the 6 person house and it was very spacious and well equipped. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews

Been to Irton Hall B&B? Share your experiences!