“A bit disappointing to be honest”
Review of Irton Hall B&B

Irton Hall B&B
Ranked #3 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked at this hotel partly because of the history of this place, thinking it would be full of charm with nice old wooden beams and historic items only to find the inside is like a cheap premier inn, the room was large but the side to the bath was smashed and had a big hole, the blinds fell to bits when i tried to roll them down and kids were running along the outside wall trying to look into the room all evening.
The food was very nice though but was very disappointed in the 1 ale that they had was warm and flat ( and French, so much for local produce) .
The grounds were also quite run down and the nice view of the hall was hindered by a marquee.
In all it was the little things that let this place down, for the price it is definatly not worth it.
Find a nice more quaint smaller b+b.

Room Tip: Not number 10
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
thomasirton, Manager at Irton Hall B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us.

It was unfortunate that previous guests had damaged the bath and blind in the room this is now is in the process of being rectified.

Sadly the internal parts of the building were unsalvageable when we began the restoration of the Hall many years ago so opted for a clean modern style. We clearly display pictures on all websites of how it looks including the bedrooms, self-catering and the grounds so can only advise to check first before purchasing.

This guest had obviously failed to inquire about our 'French' real ale, the fact that it has Aramis hops (from France) justifies the French name as well as being made in Geltsdale in Brampton Cumbria. Also its served flat and at 12 degrees as it is meant to be thus our 5* Cask Marque award.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked 4 double rooms through booking.com. We were on a trip to Lake District and staying at different places for one night. Of all the places I only rang Irton Hall to confirm my booking which they did on phone.

However when I reached with my family there in the evening I found out we only had 3 double beds. The Manager made excuses saying their system is not the same as Booking.com.

He did not even felt sorry for the mistake and I had to ask him to apologize to me for this error.

Then he arranged 4 double beds at a nearby inn. We were lucky as it was Sunday night so room were easily available. The service at the Inn was ok.

I don't know how the actual stay would have been. So if anyone is using a booking site make sure you call the hotel and confirm everything to avoid any surprises when you arrive.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sadly this was an unfortunate event that shouldn't have happened.
The gentleman had called 3 days earlier to confirm the booking and I have confirmed the 2 double rooms and 1 twin room to him over the phone. This I assumed was correct until the evening of check in when 8 people arrived after the 4 rooms booked.
The booking from a reservation company had failed to update the fourth room onto the system and the language barrier had unfortunately failed to reveal this during our conversation.
At that time in the evening I thought it prudent to obtain alternative accommodation for the group asap as we were fully booked and they all wanted to stay together, before other places close.
As this was not the guests fault and extra hassle for the family after the long drive I whole heartedly sympathised with them and understand the negative comment.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just back from a very pleasant weekend at Irton Hall where three generations of my wife's family were meeting to celebrate a family event. The hotel grounds and buildings are beautiful as is its setting in the South West Lakes. The rooms were extremely comfortable as was the bar and restaurant, food and drink very good. The staff were great as well, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This is for the B&B part of Irton Hall. A group of seven stayed in one of the houses, which have all been beautifully restored. The kitchen is huge and the living room well laid out and very comfortable, the bedrooms were all upstairs and again nicely appointed except for the BEDS! I just fail to understand having such a beautiful facility with fantastic staff and then put what was little more than a military cot in the rooms! Please Irton hall fix this and I would return many times, but as it is I can not recommend spending this kind of money and have to sleep on a sofa to be even slightly comfortable.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A wonderful hotel in the least known part of the lake district .
Good food with a nice bar in a tranquil place .
Take time to walk around the gardens , the hollow oak tree as a local story , as the staff about it !
I am more than happy to recommend this to any body !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I chose this hotel for a mini break with my girlfriend, we did strike it very lucky with the weather and just wanted somewhere nice and quiet. We did enjoy the sunshine on relaxing on the vast lawn.

For a 4 star, we did not find Irton Hall pretentious in anyway, and found the food very reasonable priced and a high quality "pub grub feel". All the meals we had were very enjoyable, and I highly recommend the ham pizza and fish (whale!) and chips.

Admittedly we didn't go a lot of sightseeing other than a morning visit to the sea side at Seascale, however there did appear to be lots of nearby attractions and next time I'd go to visit Muncaster Castle.

We were there on a special occasion which was noted to Tom, and admittedly I was slightly offended we weren't giving any sort of deal/notice of this but I can not fault the staff otherwise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A wonderful high quality hotel with a good selection of well made, excellent meals and fantastic breakfasts.

The grounds are fab. The ancient historic oak (Henry VI connection) really looks great in the magnificent lawn in front of the hotel. There are woodlands but unfortunately its a bit rough at the moment to explore (bit of a shame as we have a dog and enjoy the great outdoors anyway) and access paths into the wood from every direction need a lot of attention but once 'got onto' and done this will be another added bonus to this hotel with woodland walks they plan to create.

We stayed in one of the cottages close to the hotel. Next time we will stay in the hotel itself. Although comfortable I think they need to be 'got onto' as well.

The hotel staff cannot do enough for you which made our stay extra special and the prices of everything were very reasonable as well.

One to put on the list for sure and we would like to return but, as I say, stay in the hotel itself.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
19 mi away
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Irton Hall B&B? Share your experiences!