“Lovely B & B tucked away in a quiet and peaceful location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest How Guest House

Forest How Guest House
Ranked #2 of 7 Eskdale B&B and Inns
South Australia, Australia
“Lovely B & B tucked away in a quiet and peaceful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I booked into this B & B unaware of the area and how to get there. Thanks to a SatNav we were able to find it without any problems. We were greeted by very friendly and welcoming owners. The view from our room was lovely there were deer, horses and plenty of birds to watch. Breakfast had many choices and everything was lovely and fresh but watching the birds eat their was just a great highlight. I was hoping to see a red squirrel but wasn't so lucky but talking to the owners we were able to hear the passion they have for the wildlife they are able to keep in the area. I would certainly remember this place if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Esher, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great location for the Western Lakes area including walking up Scafell, Scafell Pike, Conniston Old Man etc. Hardknott Pass, Wasdale and Conniston lakes where we went sailing also in easy reach. Accommodation was very clean, comfortable, good shower cum bath and fantastic views. Everything worked and our tea/coffee/biscuits were topped up daily. People very helpful and friendly without being obtrusive. Fantastic English breakfasts (haddock and kippers optional) cooked to order. Packed lunches were very good value and saved time in the morning when we wanted to be off and out. Pleasant garden, plenty of parking and a drying room. Plenty of wildlife about inc a great variety of birds, deer, red squirrels. Dogs are not particularly my thing but the resident labs were kept well away. We were particularly grateful for the weather forecasts and info on boat hire printed for us while we were eating breakfast and for chilling our wine in the fridge! At least 5 decent local pubs serving good evening meals.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 2.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Ruth B
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This B&B is a true hidden gem. The owners are friendly and welcoming, just like their dogs. The views from the location are outstanding and the area is perfect for walkers or those looking to get away from it all.

Nearby there is the Eskdale light-guage steam railway, a few pubs that offer some good pub grub (Although saying that, the english breakfast served here is fantastic and will see you right the way through the day, so you might even want to skip lunch). And for those who do not want to skip lunch there are many paths to walk it off.

The room i stayed in was clean, well lit and had lovely views over the Eskdale region. Overall i had no complaints at all and would highly reccomend this as a destination for those working or having a holiday/break in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We recently stayed at Forest How for four nights and used it as a base for walking in Eskdale and Wasdale. We found it, without doubt, superb. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable and had double aspect windows which gave us magnificent views of the fells. The breakfasts were delicious and kept us going all day when we were walking. We were entertained by pheasants, yellowhammers and a variety of other birds feeding outside the breakfast room. In the early evening we sat drinking wine in the lovely garden with a red squirrel feeding nearby and through our windows at dusk spied hedgehogs and deer. It is a real haven for wildlife. In summary. very comfortable rooms, great hosts with loads of local knowledge, good local pubs to eat at and a perfect position.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We loved this location, very helpful hosts and very comfortable rooms. You should really enjoy your stay here!

Great location for hiking and scenic driving. There's also a great locals pub around the corner that I'd recommend for a feed and a pint at a great price.

Dog friendly, always a plus!

I only wish I had been able to stay for longer. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring a rain coat and your walking legs!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently stayed at the guest house for two nights on my own and honestly couldn't of wished for a better place to stay! The setting is absolutely beautiful, so quite and peaceful and a must if you're a nature lover, as there are red squirrels, deer and all manner of birds present in the grounds. The owner puts out bird feed on the patio in front of the breakfast room windows each morning, so you can sit and bird watch whilst you eat a scrummy breakfast. The room was comfortable and clean, with everything I needed and I was very impressed with the modern, well fitted, shared bathroom.
I am especially grateful to the owners John and Debs for all the extra help they gave me that weekend. I unfortunately had a car accident on the way up there, yet thanks to their help it did not ruin my weekend at all. They helped try and fix my car, took me to a local mechanic, gave me lifts to and from Wasdale Head (so I could still go walking as planned) and generally helped cheer me up. If it wasn't for them my weekend would have been a write-off too, not just the car!
I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a lovely bed and breakfast in an area we had never visited.
The hosts were very friendly and keen about the wildlife in the area especially the red squirrels !! :)
The walk to the pub across the fields was lovely and the pub at the end just as nice.
Very quiet peaceful place to stay :)

Room Tip: Very quiet location, I can't think of any good or bad points, sure all would be good in such a f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
Gosforth Hall Inn
Bower House Inn
Bower House Inn
#3 of 7 in Eskdale
Brook House Inn and Restaurant

Been to Forest How Guest House? Share your experiences!