“Bad, rude service, overpriced inedible food.”

King George IV Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Eskdale
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went in for a meal, the outset and location of the pub looked nice, however that was where it ended. I ordered surf and turf, expecting maybe a nice king prawn skewer with the steak, when the food arrived I was shocked to see cold prawns on my plate (looked like cheap frozen prawns), with frozen veg and the steak was raw in the middle and I had asked for medium cooked when I placed my order. The chips were uncooked, and the salad was sopping wet and badly presented. This was not what I'd expect for a meal priced at £17.50!!! My partner ordered a burger and the bread bun was soggy from the wet salad and her chips were also uncooked. We only ate less than a quarter of the food on the plate and that was purely out of hunger and when we voiced our disapproval we were met with rude abruptness and not one apology was given or offered, we still had to pay the bill in total and left without them thanking us or offering an apology. All in all the worst dining experience I have ever had.
You'd be much better taking your service down the road to the Brookhouse Inn, much more welcoming.

2  Thank 370RichC

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had lunch a George IV on a weekday and it was awful. A ploughmans that consisted of a vast plate of salad, some coloured cheddar, another rather mysterious pale and bland cheese. There was a sub type roll with it that was powdery and dry. My wife had a cheese and pickle roll, same coloured cheddar..same awful roll. The staff seemed like they were running it as something to do rather than as a professional place to eat. Would not go back.

2  Thank b0b_the_fish_72
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

First stop on our week long holiday. Called in for a late lunch on a Friday afternoon, were made very welcome & Barney the Labrador was happy to find a very doggy friendly pub! Had the steak & ale pie and Cumberland sausage with mash. Both dishes were served quickly, portions were massive & taste was amazing! Highly recommend the steak & ale pie, it is fabulous! Plenty of choices of great real ales also, will definitely be back a few times this week & would recommend this wonderful pub to anyone who wants to enjoy good home cooked food & great beer!

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight, so had the pleasure of sampling dinner & breakfast.
Absolutely superb quality, service & portion size.
Love it!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The pub is situated in an excellent location with plenty of parking. There is outside area for food and drink as well as a lot of space inside. The Bar staff was very friendly and the chef personally came out to explain what options we had for vegetarians.

Good options for drink including different flavoured vodka. A large selection of Ales.. I have never seen in my life.