We booked this hotel for one night between Christmas and New Year for a family wedding be held nearby. The Hotel is as named an Inn dating back to 17th Century and you can feel the history as you walk in. The warm cosy fires, excellent food and friendly helpful staff were a delight on our arrival.
Our family room was set above the games room in the original building (there is a more modern annexe complex available) and was large and spacious with a good sized bathroom with bath but no shower (just a shower attachment on the taps).
The bedroom had two beds, a double for myself and my good lady however the mattress was way to hard for a comfortable night's sleep and a single bed for our daughter who had no complaints.
The wardrobe was free standing and unfortunately due to the uneven nature of the 'original' floorboards was unstable and should have been secured to the wall as when full the door swung open and the wardrobe almost toppled forward.
The room itself was slightly cool due to being on the corner of the building with only single glazed windows.
After attending the wedding we returned to the Inn before midnight and were looking forward to a bath but unfortunately there was no hot water.
When we awoke the next morning we found out there was still no hot water nor heating. We had to boil the kettle to make having a wash bearable (I know we're getting softer now we're older) but unfortunately the sink plug surround was loose and the water emptied out as soon as it was poured in!
We made our way to breakfast which was absolutely delicious alongside the warming fresh coffee where we mentioned the lack of heating and hot water only to be informed 'yes we think the boilers is broken' not even an apology!
On Checking out there was again no apology or even an offer of a reduction in the room price.
A lovely Inn set in a beautiful location with great food and generally helpful and amiable staff let down by the facilities.
I contacted the manager but have had no response.
Recommendation stay in the annexe their heating and hot water was fine!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Eskdale valley, The Bower House Inn is situated 4 miles from the Cumbrian Coast and three miles from the A595, ensuring easy access to all local locations. This 17th century 3 star inn offers superb food, open log fires and a warm welcome. Whether you are a businessman working in the surrounding area wanting a relaxing home from home experience or a traveller seeking a comfortable room, the Bower House is the ideal place. The perfect base for those looking to immerse themselves in nature, with the Lake District National park just moments away and a great start point for those looking to explore the surrounding peaks of Scafell and Great Gable and with Wastwater within easy reach, there are lots of great trails for the more leisurely walker. All 20 rooms are traditional but have their own unique quality and are comfortable with en-suite bathrooms and TV. There is also a modern and well equipped two bedroom flat suitable for families or business parties working in the area. The Bower House Inn provides a number of amenities, including luggage storage, free Wi-Fi, telephones and packed lunches if required. Relax in our beautiful garden set along the back drop of Muncaster Fell, the Bower House Inn boasts the best views in the Eskdale valley. Also why not enjoy a round of golf at discounted rates on Eskdale's spectacular golf course, or relax at one of our local fishing spots. Our bar and dining room have traditional low beamed ceilings where we offer a wide range of local ales, locally sourced produce and an extensive menu produced by a team of highly motivated chefs. Start your day with a good hearty Bower House Breakfast and within minutes you can be on the famous Ravenglass and Eskdale Steam Miniature Railway, exploring the area and all it has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotel.de, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, HRS and Agoda so you can book your Bower House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bower House Hotel Eskdale
- Bower House Inn Eskdale, Lake District, Cumbria