King George IV Inn
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
US$146
Stanley House(Eskdale)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubbeer festivalthe portion sizesteak piea number of occasionslocal beernice mealdown the roadbunk bedsdown to earthcumberland sausagewarm welcomeopen firegreat foodeskdale greenwashing machinedays walking
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Came here for tea as we were staying at the nearby fisherground campsite (amazing also), staff were so friendly and the food so quick out!!
We both had the gammon which was faultless the plate portions were large but I somehow managed as I didn't want to waste it!!! The kids who were 8 & 4 had chicken Goujons I did think the portion size was a little large but can't complain as we took it back to the campsite with us! If ever in that area again I will defiantly return!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I could not agree more with all of the other reviews about this fab pub. In a time when the Lakes seems to becoming ever more commercial this place is a real gem. Fab food, fab beer, great & truly friendly service, great prices - what's not to like:-)
Try the steak from the nearby farm - it's ace. This pub is worth a drive over Hard Knott / Wrynose anytime!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jamiepeate
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Called in here for lunch after seeing the reviews on TA.

My wife & I had been to the south lakes animal park (Now ain't that place a dump & to be avoided) so our day was not all bad, we were cheered up by the welcoming Landlord, a local pub ran by a local lad quite refreshing really. He directed me towards a beer & gave a sample to try, it was called yellow lorry (i think) an excellent beer & well kept.

We had lunch here sausage & mash for me & ham & eggs for my wife these portions were huge my wife alas had to leave quite a bit of hers as her appetite does not cater for this quantity of food but as the landlord pointed out he has to serve this size of meal as a lot of his customers are farmers & they can eat for England.

We came to the George prior to driving the hardknot & wyrnrose passes back to Ambleside now theres a white knuckle ride especially in quite heavy rain, so come on down all you fell walkers give breakfast a miss have lunch here you won't need to eat for the rest of your day.

there is extensive area outside a good chunk of which is under cover.

I would recommend this pub to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

June 13th 2013
Cycling tour, stopped here only for a drink in afternoon but then, as the bar girl was friendly, we wondered if they did accommodation... decided to have a room, dump our bike luggage and cycle up to Wasdale Head & back (2 hours each way). The landlord seemed easy-going and friendly, and he presented us with our Full English Breakfasts and they were good-looking and tasted fine.
We had sandwiches in the evening, and nothing to complain about this those either, good portions with side salads, food seemed fresh.
Locals in the bar said this is the friendliest pub in the area, and we couldn't find fault with it.
I have come across rudeness in the Lake District (the couldn't-care-less attitude as seen in many pubs/restaurants in Keswick & Ambleside) so was pleasantly surprised with the George IV at Eskdale Green and am quite happy to recommend it. We would have no qualms about re-visiting. The bedroom & bathroom were clean and nicely decorated.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hamish M
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Called in for a meal after a days walking. If you want a down to earth pub that serves hearty meals and a good selection of beers then call here. I ordered the burger and chips,the portion sizes are like something like you get for an eating challenge, I can eat with the best of them, but couldnt finish it, although the dog finished off the burger.
Theres no heirs or graces here,the landlord refers to you as "lad" or "lass", dogs are allowed in the bar, where some people are eating, my large german shepherd found it a bit of a squeeze. So if you are not a dog lover then you may end up eating next to someone with a dog, just a word of warning.
The food and welcome were so good we called in the following evening. If you are in this part of the Lake District then make sure you call in

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple