King George IV Inn
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
The Yewdale Inn(Coniston)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe pubbeer festivalthe portion sizesteak piea number of occasionslocal beernice mealdown the roadbunk bedsdown to earthcumberland sausagewarm welcomeopen firegreat foodeskdale greenwashing machinedays walking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2009

As said before, the service was the worst I have ever experienced. Thankfully I did not stay over at the inn but after walking, was ravenous and looking forward to a nice evening meal. The barstaff couldn't understand what drinks I ordered, they only had 1 chicken breast for a £9 2 chicken breast meal and offered me £1 discount so I opted for another meal choice....breaded "seafood" ... how I regret it (it made me ill!) That meal was a mere 45p more expensive than the chicken and they cheekily requested I pay the extra 45p. My pate was frozen in the middle, the breaded seafood soaking in a sea of fat, frozen chips and veg were hard. We paid before eating and requested a discount/refund but they outright and rudely refused. Dreadful service, disgusting food and I wish some people who actually know how to actually run a business take over soon!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Fisherground Farm campsite in Eskdale, and so the King George IV pub seemed like the obvious place to go for an evening meal (being within walking distance from the campsite). How wrong we were though! The place may look nice and welcoming from the outside, but once inside it's a whole different story.

The foreign staff (sounded Eastern European) could barley understand what we were saying - until it came to money that was! We tried to oreder a Pear Cider but the lady behind the bar came back with something completely different.

Then when it came to the meal I was faced with the smallest lamb shank I have ever seen, topped with lumpy microwaved gravy, soggy chips and a tiny helping of frozen mixed veg, while my girlfriend had barley-cooked frozen scampy with three thin slices of carrot and a few frozen peas.

Of course, we had already payed for the meal at the bar before we'd had the pleasure of eating it. When we told them that we weren't happy and wanted a refund, they told us a straight "No". I stole a pint glass in anger and we both walked away in sheer disgust!

Avoid the place, tell everyone you know to avoid the place, spread the word and then hopefully the idiots who run the King George IV in Eskdale will get what's coming to them... or at least go bust so somebody competent can take over.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Made the mistake of wandering into this pub looking for a drink on a long walk. Bought two lime and sodas from a girl who didn't know what a lime and soda was, but was very definite that they cost £2.20 apiece. After stumping up £4.40 for a couple of glasses of squash, we then asked if it was possible for our water bottle to be filled. She agreed and returned with it, only to suggest we paid 50p for the privilege. We refused, so the cheery landlord came out, grabbed bottle, tipped it down the sink and said 'if you're not going to pay for it, get it from the river.'
Great for: masochists who like the texas chainsaw massacre experience by being insulted by aggro hicks
Not so great for: anyone who's not from the planet Venus and has an idea of reasonable bar tariffs.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple