“The ultimate Marmite campsite”

Fisherground Campsite
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The ultimate Marmite campsite”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Having studied the large number of negative and positive reviews of this site we booked it with great trepidation.

However our one week stay was almost entirely wonderful. From the beautiful location, with soft grass and soil (my first camping experience without a bend tent peg), to the friendly staff, and off course the brilliant fire pits (my tip is to always keep the logs vertical to give them enough air).

Certainly the site was crowded over the Bank Holiday period, but all our neighbours (with one noisy exception) were friendly and quite at night.

It was perfect for the three young children we took, who were able to find all kinds of adventurous activities to keep entertained.

My only criticism would be the rather small and distant toilet block, which although always clean, did get crowded at 'rush hour'.

I would be happy to return to this beautiful and less touristy part of the Lake District at any time.

1 Thank ninfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We travelled with our 3 small children (3,6,7), all having a fun time. We found the staff very pleasant and chatty on arrival, showing us to our pitch and giving us useful information about the site.
Our children loved the adventure playground (3 year old needed a lot of supervision - as climbing frames were quite high / lots of tree roots etc).
We had a fire pit which was fantastic in the evening, toasting marshmallows was a bonus with our children. The man who sells the logs / sticks was very polite, we found that the wood burnt well - no probs.
Showers and toilet block were good, plenty of room and clean.
Lots of great walks - ideal for children.
Overall we had a lovely time - no complaints, we can not understand why people have given this campsite bad reviews - I think some people just like to moan!.

1 Thank K M
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have stayed at this site many times, as we live locally, and up until now we have always had a great time. However on this occasion, I felt as if the site's recent featuring in various guidebooks and newspaper reports has maybe started to impact negatively on it.

For the first time ever, we were told exactly where to pitch our tent - hmmmm. We were told that we could park our car in one of the parking areas near the tents while we unloaded, but that we needed to move it to the field next door afterwards as they were expecting an influx. Everyone else had ignored this, so we did too, especially as said field is also labelled as a child play area. Didn't see a huge influx of unparked campers needing our space.

Next issue - people have commented on the wardens enforcing the rules too strictly - I wish! The people next to us stayed up til past 12.30 drinking on the first night. Not being really unruly, just a bit loud. Next morning, a couple of our tent pegs were missing. The second night, they were drinking and talking even later, waking us at about 1.15am by shouting. There was a lot of flapping outside our tent and next morning we found that about half our pegs, including most of the ones pinning actual poles down, had been taken. Glad the weather wasn't worse or we could have been in real trouble. Someone's dog had also weed down one corner of the tent - don't know whose for definite, but this group had a dog. Did the wardens ask them to be quiet after 10.30? Not that I'm aware. Now I know you can get unpleasant people anywhere,but this was the first time it's happened to us here. Hopefully just a one- off!

Other than this, the site hasn't changed a huge amount in years really, and the toilet and shower block is OK, but as others have said, it's beginning not to be adequate for the number of campers.

Another odd thing was that only half the site appeared to be being used for some reason - meaning that campers were pretty close together - the other half is more sheltered and often preferred by people without children. Don't know what was going on there.

Also, now that the site team have little off-road buggies, they seem to be forever driving round the site, either showing in newcomers or just generally patrolling. This is quite irritating.

So, all in all, changes there have not been for the best, and this wasn't my favourite visit. That said, it's a fabulous location, the kids love playing on the playground and especially in the muddy pond, pitches are pretty level, facilities are adequate, its not too midgy and where else do you get your own miniature train stop?

1 Thank Sam D
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have returned from this campsite today with 3 young people (one being myself) two adults and two children. I am a new member to trip advisor and feel like i had to join to quash any bad reviews with my reasonably good on about this site. I read a lot of reviews before going on any trip and i have read a lot of bad ones about this site, i was nervous about booking it but did anyway. The lady on the phone was polite and booked us in with no trouble and took a small deposit off my card which i didn't see being a problem although some might not like this.

It was a long 3 hour drive to this site which we stayed for 2 nights. We were greeted by the two owners politely and we were swiftly given a tent card for the guy rope of one tent (which we never put on it as we noticed nobody else did) and he jumped in his quad bike and showed us our pitch and asked if we could keep the cars on the gravel to preserve the grass. The gravel surrounds the whole site so your car is never far away and we had plenty of hands to help anyway. There are metal buckets for the campfires/bbq's and we were asked to place our tents around the bucket, which is what we would have done anyway. It didnt bother us that he told us where to pitch at all, i think he was thinking of us at that point. As we were setting up the two children (10 + 5) went off to play and within 5 minutes they came back soaking and dirty which is the point of camping as a child. The playground isnt necceserily the safest of places especially in the dark and the rain but it was great fun for the children and under supervision on some of the bigger equipment is fun for all ages.

The shower/toilet block is pretty standard with 5 toilets and 4 showers i believe for the females which was sufficient for the site at this time as we never had to queue. There were reasonably clean but i don't think a little update would do the place any harm. The washing machine, dryer/boot dryer and washing up sinks were all clean and very useful especially for children and big families with lots of dishes. The showers are a little pricey at 50p but there is plenty of hot water and lots of hooks to keep things off the floor.

As i have read in other reviews the staff at the site are strict and rude but we did not find this to be the case at all. the owners would glance a smile if you were passing them and the few wardens they have seem polite although we never had any thorough runnings with anybody. The fact they patrol the site is not an issue either, i think i noticed them doing it maybe 3 times throughout the whole stay and they never stopped and 'told anyone off' they were just checking everything was ok. There are quite a few rules posted on boards especially around the toilet area and i wouldn't say they were all necessary and some a little patronising ('hair drying only' on the hair dryer) but again don't put too much thought into it as they are only signs.

A further good point i would say is that the owners come round the site numerous times between 5 and 9pm with large bags of dry pre cut logs and kindling for the campfires. We thought they were reasonably priced at £4 per bag of wood and 50p for a bag of kindling so dont forget your matches and marshmallows and we went into the woods and stripped some twigs with a pen knife to toast the marshmallows on like real campers haha.

Overall a nice quiet stay in a beautiful area of the country roasting marshmallows on the campfire with the family looking up at the stars. wouldnt necessarily stay again but this is due to us preferring to try different camp sites every time.

Room Tip: Be prepared to drive to get to a more built up area and its beneficial to be a confident driver beca...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Have been to this site once before quite sometime ago and thought we would return for a visit, on arrival we were met by a lady, that made me feel unwelcome from the start looking me up and down whilst telling me that the site was full and there was no room left.. I mentioned that I had been before and the tune changed to do you remember the rules? Ohh yes sure I do , then there was a silence whilst the police like radios buzzed and clip boards flicked through. Then just as we were making plans to turn around and leave...'' we could fit you in I guess''

We stayed two nights it was ok nice to have a fire pit although take your own wood to burn as the wood sold on site never seemed to get going for most people, bit damp I recon.

The showers 50p is ok if your quick enough or £1 for a bit more, to long for me though.. site was clean for sure no litter here. I didn't like the wardens driving round every few mins in golf carts to do something not sure what? No need for golf carts all the time its really not such a big site.

Turn the radios off and stop with the don't do anything wrong atmosphere or else and all the strict signage questions etc etc, owners please relax and chill just a little and you could have a great campsite in a beautiful place.

Pub down the road is very nice the train thing was a little to pricy for me so didn't bother, would I go back maybe but not for a while..

Room Tip: My tip would be say you have been there before and can remember the site rules that will get you in...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dood2b

Travellers are raving about these Eskdale hotels

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent site for children, great playground they can really get muddy and wet on. Unfortunately basic facilities, it would be nice to see a very much updated toilet block with more free showers and taps that turn on for longer, I have never been to a site where you had to pay to shower before. The freezer also needs modernization it is often so full it does not shut properly and doesn't freeze your freeze blocks, make sure you label them by the way, or they will disappear, this I think is mainly due to the freezer being too small so the bags get ripped and then no one knows whose is whose. The staff generally are pleasant and helpful, however there is one lady who comes across badly and seems quite prison warden like as
she patrols the site each morning carefully checking that no one stays longer than the they booked.
All in all, it is a great site, the kids loved the atmosphere and the park, I loved the camp fires and the surroundings. We will be returning as there are many more things in the area to do, l hope to return to see a few improvements.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dem78
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I had read both the good and bad reviews of fisherground campsite and was feeling a little nervous in case we experienced the bad ones. I need not have worried as our time here was fantastic. The weather was good and upon arriving I asked if we could be as near to the toilet/shower block as possible as my hubby is disabled. They obliged with the added bonus being we were opposite the play area and water pool so we could see the kids at all times. I went with my sister and family and we loved every min. The camp fires at night felt very special and everyone was very friendly and helpful. We had some lovely walks and went to see the waterfall off the eskdale trail. This trek is not for the faint hearted and I wouldn't recommend for young children. It it a very steep climb up slippery rocks with no barriers and no warning of what to expect. Wr turned back for our own safety and so did others. The drive to the campsite was a bit hairy and some roads if that is what they call them were very narrow, steep, slopy and uneven with the odd sheep sat right in tge the middle. My sister had to get out and move one on! Still a fantastic holiday and aim to go back next year. Worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
Brook House Inn and Restaurant
Irton Hall B&B
Irton Hall B&B
#2 of 7 in Eskdale

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!