“Stunning Area, lovely campsite”

Fisherground Campsite
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights from 22 May - 26 May over the Bank Holiday weekend and a small party of 2. This is a lovely campsite in stunning surroundings and I had no issues with the shower/toilet facilities also very clean and water hot.

Like previously stated a few rules which is reason why we booked there. Quiet from 10.30pm if wanting to party this is not the site for you. Sadly this did not apply on our visit, well for our second night! We were down by the bottom field near the access to the steam train. Lovely pitch beautiful views. By friday fellow campers started to arrive on mass and a group started to pitch near to us but over the day more arrived must of been several + tents lost count of the no: in the group. Now these selfish narrow minded morons had no respect for the few rules especially the no noise after 10.30pm and having retired to our tent we were kept awake till after 2am.with them laughing singing drinking. They new this rule as they kepted joking 10.30pm bedtime! But they still decided to come to this site and ruin it for others. Eventually we got woken up at 5am to there dog Harry barking. Then they were awake morning everyone at 7am.

Now my disgruntledness is having spoken to the Owners/wardens having had enough and wanted to pack up and leave said they did patrol and heard nothing. This I strongly disagree with as myself and others around us had complaints about this group. I also dont understand why they let such a large group amass around lots of smaller tents especially people with small children. There website states intending drunks or those of a loud nature should look elsewhere & they have a zero tolerance policy if any of the rules are broken.

Now the owner and his wife Alison and the wardens especially Mike & Mikey all very lovely, they were very understanding and couldnt do enough for us and we were shown another pitch. They helped us move all our things and we re pitched up by the facilities in the small field. We then had a much quiter experience and were able to sleep!. We met some lovely people and we enjoyed the last two days of our holiday which those morons all most ruined for us.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! It really is a lovely site I personally will avoid Bank Holidays in the future. Children will love the freeedom of fun this site can offer having them run all over and playing laughing was never an issue it was lovely to hear and see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were a small party of 2, yet most of the persons there were in bigger parties. We were immediately impressed by the beautiful scenery, and how well the field was kept. We found the staff to be friendly, and most were very approachable. This seems like a good site for young uns, and the adventure playground was a constant hive of activity. There was nice spacing between the tents, with good access to portaloos. This would of been 5 stars had it not been for one shower block per 170 tents and the fact that they sold damp wood. However, I would recommend this campsite and I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a lovely site, brilliant for kids, great base for walks and trips including the steam train with a stop at the site. The rules were fair and not pushed at us, the curfew was kept which was great.
The only couple of gripes was firstly after confusion with the booking which was the sites fault, an apology would have been appreciated. Other than that the wardens were very friendly and helpful. The other gripe is not a fault of the site, the amount of people that drove to the toilet block was ridiculous and irritating, It is a bit of a walk but the vehicular traffic around children is too much and if they drive at 5mph through the one way system they might as well have walked.
The food at the nearest pub was very poor, however the Woolpacks food was great and we got a free lift back to the site which was much appreciated after a long walk to Hardknott fort and 3 pints.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful location, great facilities and well looked after.

Pitches were beautiful and we were happy to keep to a couple of rules! Nothing like the previous reviews on here! The owners just wanted us to respect their site, I guess some people just don't want to!

However, unfortunately, the campsite can't mitigate for idiots who choose to camp! Some people are just inconsiderate of others, not just staying up until 2am, but talking loudly all day too! Obviously their opinions are worth hearing!

The only gripe we have is that at 10.30pm we were tucked up in bed but talking quietly when a light was shone at our tent to tell us to settle down!!! However, the group of 6 tents were still up next to us and making much more noise! By 11pm we were all asleep, normal noise from a normal family!!!!

Lastly, the pub nearest the site is awful for food, travel further, beautiful pubs elsewhere to eat !

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Hopingtotravellots
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here some time last year it was a bit of a last minute thing for us. I had a quick look online at a few sites and seen this one and was a bit wary with some of the reviews but decided not to let them put us off and give it a try. The staff were lovely one man in particular he couldn't of done any more to help us. My little boy had a fab time playing in the play area and in the water. It was quite a bit out of the way but the weather was amazing so we were quite happy to sit around the tent in the sun. Will defiantly be coming back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

First stay at this site for my family and I, and we loved it! The setting is gorgeous, the wooden play-area in the trees & pond with little boats was fantastic for our children. The steam-train that stopped at the campsite was fab (quite pricey but hard to resist!) and the wardens, Mikey&Mike where extremely welcoming, friendly & helpful. The dry-boot locker is a great idea and godsend, as are the fire-pits (perfect for marshmallows!) and the ability to buy reasonably-priced logs on-site.

The shower and toilet blocks where really clean and nicely presented however, I was surprised that you had to put 50p in the showers(!). This seems a little out-dated for camping these days and unnecessarily inconvenient, especially for families, although the wardens do keep a ready supply of 50ps in their cabin. Even so, the last thing you want to do in the morning is scrabble around for 50ps or traipse over to the cabin for change of money, when all you want to do is get washed! Everything else about this site is perfect though! We'll definitely be going again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Although the campsite's "how to get here" page dissuades you from taking the Hardknot Pass GETTING to the place (I concur) ... when you're leaving, NOT going via the Hardknot Pass is absolutely inexcusable. Get to the site early via the (admittedly glorious) recommended route to pitch your tent before nightfall, sure ... but in the words of Supertramp: take the long way home. It will take you all day to get back, but you'll have seen things you would never have, simply retracing your route.

As for the campsite? Clean, not insufferably large, and friendly. I shouldn't expect many chavs, given the effort required to get there ... and the fact that there's nothing to do but enjoy Nature. If you desire a phone signal, best hie yourself to the top of yon ridge, greenhorn...

Considering it's so inaccessible, there's a good general store in Eskdale Green: from the campground take a right at the George pub and carry on for half a mile or so. Also, stop to take a picture of Giggle Alley. Worth an Instagram to the folks back home.

Lastly (not really - there's a lot to be said about this place, not least the characterful Herdwick sheep) there is the steam train that takes you down to Ravenglass. Worth the experience, so I'm told by the rest of the camping party. I say: do it.

Steam train. Right there on your virtual doorstep (you don't have an actual doorstep: you're camping). It will take you up and down and up and down the track, from the hills to the sea. The cost of a ticket is not unreasonable, but I'm not going to quote it lest it changes.

Ravenglass is a curious place that is filled with self-hatred despite the fact that it is a coastal town. And when I say "town", I mean "glorified halt". There's no promenade or such - Mother Nature provided a beach, so why would you bother? -- but it's worth a wander to say you've been there.

Don't fail to go to the Roman camp at Hardknot. It will remind you that your BS job is not so tough after all. What was surely one of the most elevated forts in the Roman empire. Narcissists: don't do your hair beforehand: your handiwork will all be undone by the wind in an instant.

All in all, a fantastic corner of Britain.

Oh, my. I haven't mentioned Wastwater (five stars - go there), the ridiculously tourist-friendly* one-lane roads, the kids' raft pond at the campground, or this, or that .... basically, just go. It'll be a blast. Book early.

By the way: the sheep are called Herdwick sheep. It took a wee while to ascertain this -- not even Mickey at Reception could tell me, but she referred me to a Cumbrian stalwart: young sheepgirls are brown with white heads. After a while, having listened to the wild Wastwater wind as the soundtrack to their bleak lives and after having given birth in the hooliest of winter places ... they go grey. Grey with a lovely, cuddleable aspect nevertheless.

Enjoy your stay. If you don't ... seek help.

*Sarcasm

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank stackpool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
YHA Eskdale
YHA Eskdale
#2 of 2 in Boot
Newby Bridge Country Caravan Park

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!