Fisherground Campsite
The Yewdale Inn(Coniston)
US$102
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfire pitadventure playgroundplay areazip wiretoilet blockboot dryingbad reviewssteam traintoasting marshmallowscamping experiencesmall lakecleaned regularlyat peak timeslovely sitecamping arealittle girlbear in mind
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just got back from a long weekend at this campsite. Originally only booked to walk up Scarfell Pike but so nice stayed another night. Would of stayed longer but sadly had to be back at work. Do not understand negative reviews, just think this is not the right sort of campsite for these people. People complaining about being quiet after 10.30 - I think fair enough it's a family campsite and people are trying to sleep. We went just as a couple but were more than happy to be reasonably quiet after this time as it is common courtesy to others.
Nothing wrong with shower block. Good facilities. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a camping park but is a true camping experience and all the kids there were having the time of their lives.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purplebadger
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's a shame gf5551 has such a bad experience because we saw nothing of their description - our experience was the polar opposite - my 5 year old daughter was actually in tears yesterday when we got home because she missed it so much!

The site is set in a stunning location with and you are greeted by the park rangers who were lovely, polite and helpful throughout our weekend there. We found the site very relaxed and loved the firepit (one for every tent) which was burning until we went to bed each night and fuelled by the large bags of chopped, wood, kindling and a firelighter block which you can buy when the rangers travel round the site each evening (£4.50 all in I think). There is also a real effort to keep the place tidy and presntable. We couldn't fault their efforts.

The shower block and toilets were always clean and the shower (50p) was perfect. The free use of the fridge for your iceblocks and 24 hour boot dryer were also much appreciated (as was the free hair dryer usage by my wife).

The pub is actually visable from the site sign it's that close (5 min walk) and the steam train actually stops at the edge of the site - perfect.

The pond and adventure playground are basic but the kids loved playing there and would still be there now on the rafts if we hadn't have come home. That with all the little rocky mounds to explore kept them busy all weekend and left them wanting more.

I really couldn't praise it more. We were 2 couples with 3 kids between us and are already making plans to go back again and again. My favourite camp site by far. What a find!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank andymook
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Found this site by luck really through a guardian piece, couldn't find it by normal google search. Anyway campsite was superb, we'll organised lovely clean camp that is totally geared round families. No drunken parties, noise patrol after 10.30 works brilliantly. In the middle of everywhere and different ways to get there. Travel on Ravenglass railway at the end of the field or walk to the shops or drive, whatever you need it's close.

We'll worth the beautiful drive over the hard knot pass, will go back again for certain. The kids (10&12) absolutely loved it

Room Tip: No rooms just take a good tent
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wayne w
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I found the site quit oppressive with lots of rules.The final straw was when my son came for tea and was asked for money to stand on thier grass, I went back to the entrance with my son and ask why he had to pay it would have been £5 for himself and girlfriend if they stayed under 3 hours it should have been £10 as it was over this, I asked why he had to pay this money to sit on my chairs eat my food sit in front of my fire and drink my wine the answer was they are using the site facilities toilet shower etc, I have my own toilet and he wasn't going to have a shower.The young girl who I challenged said it was on the web site which it is, I think this charge along with 50p showers for around 3 minutes, which added £14 for the week to the cost, just to keep clean for me and my partner, £5 for wood and kindling, money for visitors for standing on their grass and eating and drinking your own food was a bit much and to top it all the young lady said to my son if you don't like it then you can leave at this point I wanted to leave and would have if i could get a refund.After this i payed the money my didn't son and girlfriend stayed the evening didn't return.The site has poor phone signal so he couldn't arrange what we were doing for the day,I went to Bower House were he was staying a lot nicer and friendly and was talking about my experience, one of the local people said i know the camp site its a bit like a concentration camp.Yes it does what it says on the tin, great concept, over priced, customer service was terrible, and yes you have to be silent after 10.30 pm as it says on the web site.Customer vote with their feet as I talked about my experience with other campers, will I be going back NO.
Garry Beverly and Diesel our dog

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank gf5551 .
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This place is paradise, we have just returned from a week there and it was truly amazing. Location is brilliant, assuming you like peace and quiet and aren't health and safety mad.

The pitch we were allocated was large, with lovely grass to pitch on. They have a policy where the pitches are rotated and this leads to pitches which are soft but not overused.

The adventure playground is great for the kids, along with the pond which was about 3" deep and perfect for the kids to play in.

The highlight though, is being able to have campfires by the tent, in the fire pits, this is just sensational and they sell kindling and logs daily for reasonable prices

Utility wise, the toilets are clean, showers 50p for a decent amount of time, and good washing up and clothes washing facilities. There are also boot drying facilities and a freezer for ice packs

Finally a word for the wardens, I thought they were brilliant, applying the rules but allowing enough leeway for the kids to have a ball. They are clear what the rules are on the website and they are applied! Excellent!

We will be back!!