“Magical Experience”

Fisherground Campsite
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were looking forward to a few days in the lakes and we weren't disappointed, even after a longer than expected drive to avoid Hardknott Pass. We arrived and were directed to our pitch and advised which way to pitch our tents around the fire pit then left to it. We had to replace our tent on the second night and that was no problem to the site, they just apologised that our tent wasn't upto the rain!

There is no wifi or phone signal, which is fantastic! We brought two teenagers who had no choice but to sit and talk to us, play games around the fire or play with their younger siblings-and had a great time in spite of themselves! The fire pits are a great idea, using an old wheel rim to contain the fire and keep everyone safe and are arranged so every pitch can access one. There is a man who comes with wood every night for £5 or so and the kids love buying their bag for their own fire.

There have been complaints about the facilities, but I can't understand why. The showers and toilet blocks are cleaned about 6 times a day-upto midnight. There is a 50p charge for showers, which is well advertised on the website, so we arrived with a bagful, but the wardens carry change. The showers last more than long enough to shower me and a child and were warm. The queues can build at busy times but they soon go down, or go have a cup of tea and come back in ten minutes,

The washing up facilities are more than adequate too and the washing machine, driers, freezer and boot cupboard are a nice extra touch.

The best thing about the site is the pond and rafts and adventure playground. It would be easy to lose the kids for the whole day while they are busy making new friends. It is really lovely to see so many kids being kids instead of being directed or staring at screens-their own magical Swallows and Amazons adventure.

There were one or two families complaining that they weren't allowed their lights and music and there wasn't a shop or clubhouse, but that was the charm of the place. We can't wait to go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mckeontribe

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Fantastic pond for the children to play in, good local attractions, plenty to do for all. Very efficient, organised camp, in midst of rural beauty. This is a truly awesome site. We went a couple of years ago now and it was really clean, friendly, well run site. Definitely would go back again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned after spending 7nights at Fisherground. Originally booked for 4 nights but extended our stay. On arrival we were met by a pleasant warden booking us in and directing us to our pitch. We were met by another warden showing us where to pitch and explaining the rules of site and pointing out various ammenties ect. We found all wardens very helpful and polite.
Site very clean and we especially liked the no noise rule after 10.30 which we found most people adhered too apart from on night where a disagreement broke out between a few campers and the noise was very loud. However this was quickly sorted and resulted in the camera being removed from site.
Our kids loved the pond and adventure playground. We felt comfortable in allowing them to play without feeling the need to check on them every five minutes.
We had lovely days out and found quiet tarns so kids could plodge. We visited ravensglass by car and although its a nice enough little town we were glad we didn't pay to get the train there. We did use train once (for the childrens benefit) from dalesgarth to fisherground and that was enough to keep them happy.
We loved the fire pits and these were very nice for keeping warm on a evening. The fire man comes round every night and works out at about £6 for wood and kindling. The ice cream lady comes round also and stays for a good few hours.
Few things we werent happy with - having to pay for the showers. Yes you can get washed (quickly) with one 50p but I think this is an unnecessary expense.
Not enough showers - somedays there was lengthy queues just to get washed and the sinks were very crowded too.
Paying £2 charge for using a debit card!! A total rip off! I would recommend paying by cash.
Overall we had a great time and would recommend Fisherground Campsite.
Would we return? Yes!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First came here 30 years ago and had a week of pure bliss as a 10 year old. One toilet for male and one for female with a cold running tap for both. Spent a week of pure bliss! My love of the lakes originates from this experience of rural camping at it's best with major hikes and views to die for. Coming back with my family to walk some of my favourite mountains 30 years later I have been gutted to read some of the reviews about my favourite ever campsite. However, time moves on and Eskdale understandably but unfortunately has become ever more popular. Fisherground Farm is now an extremely popular campsite. As much as I reminisced about times gone by I wholeheartedly appreciate the efforts of the present owners/runners of the site.
We (family of 4) enjoyed our campfire for as long as we liked as we were considerate of other campers.
The showers at 50p encourage people to be swift. Toilets and showers really clean.
Wood was available at a reasonable cost daily.
The ice cream van, although not an asset in my eyes, was a hit with the kids.
The fantastic play area kept kids entertained for hours.
Wardens available at all times. Efficient and knowledgeable when needed.
Walks to die for.
I left this site feeling sad and already planning my next visit.
If you want to party on into the night and don't like children, book Blackpool! I went there on my way back to Cornwall and am still in a state of shock!
Would love to write a bad review to put people off but can't possibly do so here! Go, chill out and make an effort to walk. I know I'm going back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visited the site for a week in July 2014 - two adults, two young children and a dog. For people used to slightly wilder camping, Fisherground felt a little over-organised on arrival - we had to wait to be escorted to our pitch, and were told exactly how to position the tent. That said, once we realised how busy the site is and how big some of the tents can be, it was easy to see why this is done. Likewise the rules about noise (no noise after 1030), gates closing overnight and fires (only in the firepits and with bought wood) may seem a bit officious but make sense. Quiet evenings were welcome, but with a two year old the no noise before 8am wasn't easy to keep to!

The site is great for families. The pond with rafts and adventure playground provide on-site entertainment, and the fact that fires are permitted is a bonus. Our children were a bit young to join in, but older kids obviously make lots of friends, and there were lots of big football games going on. On-site wood sales and ice cream van make life easy, and the site has its own train station on the Ravenglass-Eskdale railway which is brilliant for car-free day trips and is a big adventure in itself for the kids.

Toilet and shower facilities are clean, and washing machine/tumble dryer and freezer for ice packs are available. Other reviews have complained about showers but I found 50p paid for a reasonable length of time. There is a pub within easy walking distance which has a nice outside seating area and serves good food. A shop would have been handy for milk etc, but the nearest stores are a half hour walk or short drive away.

I wouldn't recommend the site for those wanting to get away from it all in wild Cumbria, or if you would be bothered by packs of children and ballgames, but if you are looking for an easy campsite with lots of entertainment for children this is great.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I'm not one for writing reviews but you go camping to have a good time and laugh with family and friends. Avoid this sure like the plague stayed here Friday nite with my partner and two children also my friend get partner and child. Absolutely discuting the way we were treated. Sat round the camp fire talking amongst ourselves not load and no music. We went to sleep around 12.30 - 1am. The next morning we was greeted by the staff telling us we had to turn off the bacon we was making and leave the site as we was too noisey and had a complaint. No warning just told we had to leave. I agreed we would go when receiving the money back we had already paid for Saturday they refused to give us money we had paid to stay but was told to leave for talking I would not mind if we was so load and annoying. When they say no noise after 10.30 they mean you CANNOT TALK!!!! 50p for a shower and it smells like sewage

• Stayed: August 2014
12  Thank Bonnielass88
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife in early August. The location is amazing with views of some of Southern fells all around and a short drive/walk along hard knott pass to the feet of the larher fells. The campsite itself is very well set out leaving your car a short distance from your tent. We arrived and after paying were guided around the one way system, were a helpful staff member showed us where to pitch. Plenty of space around tent and your own fire pit. Toilets were very clean and plenty cubicles, showers and sinks. Shower was 50p, was just enough time for me, maybe if people washing long hair would need spend £1. Play area for kids looked really good. There is a pub at the end of the road. The nearest shop is 1 mile walk up the road which is uphill, I personally enjoyed the walk there and back. Cannot fault this site was just what I was looking for, a helpful, well set out campsite in a beautiful location with no sign of a city/town for miles.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple