“Weird campsite” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fisherground Campsite

Fisherground Campsite
“Weird campsite”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We visited in a party of 4 adults and 4 children aged 3 months to 5 years. The site is in a great location and the steam train is great. However,the site was very expensive and not value for money. After paying £25 per night for 2 adults and 2 children in 1 tent, I did not expect to pay for showers. The showers run on 50p coins but a shower needed 2-3 coins adding extra cost to the stay. There are only 4 showers in the ladies, insufficient so always a queue. The stalls are too small and nowhere for a child to sit. There are also not enough toilets so there was a queue at busy times. There is a lot of staff, leaving us feel watched but we did not find the ever present staff helpful. We were overcharged by nearly £50 on arrival and then felt under scrutiny when we went back with receipts to discuss this. We did get the money back but it was not a comfortable situation. After unpacking our car, we were asked to move it to a field a few minutes walk away. I explained how inconvenient this was having a 3 month old and 2 year old and some stuff, including the buggy stored in the car. This was not well received and I was given a lecture on the needs of the new campers arriving. Unfortunately, despite the site being picturesque, we would not recommend this site.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Kelkub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just back from Fisher ground which was brilliant. Nearly did not get in as we did not book and when I called them whilst on route, they told me it was full when I asked for two to three nights. My husband called straight back and asked for four nights. They said if we stayed for five nights they would find us a pitch. Don't know why they didnt tell us this in the first place. Luckily we did'nt mind as we had our hearts set on this site and in the end would have liked to have stayed longer.We had a disastrous holiday abroad last year with no one for my son to play with, we were so relieved when we pulled up and there were kids everywhere.
The adventure playground, pond with rafts and the rope swing into the pond was such a novelty. My son loved it. You do need somekind of footwear when in the pond as all stones. A wetsuit comes in handy as well, due to british weather.
The Firepits are such a good idea. We sat around it eveynight and the ice-cream van also sells Marshmallows and the sticks to toast them on the fire. The log man comes and hangs around which was great as we would have been gutted not to have had a fire every night. A bag of loggs was £5.00 and £1.00 for kindle if needed. New shower block was fine but could have done with more showers. Good washing up facility. The hair dryer was broke and the hand dryer was a waste of time. Handy to have the use of a freezer but I got the impression it was a bit of a free for all. Label your icepacks with your name all over them and keep them together in a sealed knotted bag. I liked the fact that you had to keep quiet from 10:30. Everyone was very respectfull. I have seen comments about the staff, we found them very friendly at all times.
We will be going back next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank mandy b
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

For me and my daughter going camping for the first time was an adventure and we couldn't wait to get to the campsite to get set up. We got slightly lost on the way and mistook the nearby Eskdale campsite as fisher ground. After driving in I asked a lady who was carrying a mop and bucket if we were at the right place. She took it upon herself to bad mouth fisher ground and said that once we had been to there we would be wishing we were staying here! She couldn't have been more wrong! We were greeted by Alison and shown to our pitch by Colin who was very knowledgeable and even offered to help me set up if I got stuck. We found both Alison Colin and an older chap very friendly and helpful. The campsite itself is very clean and child friendly... My daughter loved the pond and play area my only criticism is that there could have been more tyres in the pond as 2 wasn't enough at busy times. I cannot believe a previous criticism about the log man and ice cream van staying around so everyone got served, I thought that was a good thing as it meant you didn't have to stand in a long que. The walk to the waterfall is a must (thanks Colin!) I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful places I have been and have some amazing pictures. We are looking at going back very soon :) thank you from the family on Cavendish

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AJ2304
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights with our children (4yrs & 2yrs). This was our first & I had researched campsites for families - this was listed in a national newspaper's top 10. We really enjoyed our stay here & would look forward to going back. The play area is great & our boys loved it. I would recommend taking wet suits & suitable footwear for the pond. Although there is no wifi or phone signal, I quite liked the escapism this brought. The camp fire was great fun & really added to our enjoyment of the experience - providing a night time focus. The rules are perfect for those with young children who would not welcome party animals on site & I was found the security reassuring. Staff were always visible & a special mention to the older man who drove the quad bike who was particularly welcoming & friendly towards the children. The rules on site are too much for some but I found them reassuring. I can also see why there is a charge for visitors.
I was however disappointed that my sister (who mistakenly booked the camp site down the rd) was not allowed to come in to pass on messages re: where yo meet up etc without being charged £2.50. It felt rather unreasonable, especially as the owners were aware of the mix up & the fact that there is no wifi or signal to aid communication. I would have happily paid for them to come on site in the evening or for a lengthier period of time.
We ate out at brook inn - excellent! Friendly, accommodating staff & fab food & drink. The King George IV was poor in comparison - food was particularly poor.
I would have liked more space in the shower cubicle - it was impossible to wash myself & 2 children without our clothes being soaked - a dry area to leave clothes, dry & dress would be really useful.
We enjoyed day trips to Wasdale & Coniston & I would look forward to returning to Fisherground.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is the worst place I have ever been too! As you arrive from your long drive you are greeted at the gate and asked to pay straight away! No show round first, no smile. I had friends staying here and as there isn't any phone or internet signal We decided to meet at fisherground when we had all set up our tents. ( we stayed at another campsite down the road)
When we arrived at fisherground I explained that I was just here to tell my family and friends that we were going to the beach. We were told to pay £2.50 each to enter their site! I tried to explain that we were only going to be 5minutes but they didn't care and said that if I wanted to give my friends a message that it would cost us £5!! (£2.50 each)
All they want is money! Do not go there!

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank darcybubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Recently returned from a two night stay at fisherground campsite. Myself and my partner wanted to stay in the area in order to climb Scaffell Pike. We considered the national trust campsite nearer to the mountain but were put off by the price, this campsite seemed like a good compromise as it was cheaper but further away. I wish we had chosen the national trust campsite now as with all the extra charges at fisherground it probably would have ended up cheaper.
There is definitely a 'military' feel to this campsite, upon arrival we were shown to our pitch which was in the middle of the field even though there were plenty of free pitches at the edge of the field, out of the way. As a young couple with no kids we wanted to keep to ourselves and asked if we could have one of the other 'out of the way' pitches. This request was refused, and we were slightly annoyed when about an hour later another couple were allowed to have one of these pitches, the guy even saying that it would be nice for them to be out of the way of the children.
One nice feature of the campsite were the fire pits, however the wood and kindling were far too expensive, £6 for a bag of wood which only lasted half an evening. When we went to buy more, they tried to tell us that they couldn't sell us anymore as it was too late (8.30pm!), they eventually gave in when a queue started to form. Another unforeseen expense were the showers, 50p for an extremely short shower and I was caught out and my partner had to rescue me with another 50p!
Overall I felt uneasy and not very relaxed, especially with the half hourly patrols of the campsite by men on golf buggys!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah S
North East
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just back from 5 days at fisherground which was a nice site; but as the title says could be so much better.
We arrived and the first thing we were greeted with was being asked to move our car even though we were on the hard standing for booking in?.I think the only time the women (took it to be the owner -dark hair and totally unpleasant ) broke a smile was when she took our money, She even ignored me two days later when I passed her and politely said hello.
We were then take to our pitch by a more pleasant older guy.
Once we set up ( thank you to the women who asked if our Daughter wanted to play with her little girl as we set up) we had a wander round the site which is very well situated and has some lovely landscapes. We did notice a lot of rules and I agree with other posts who say this is to be welcomed ; but I would add this should apply to all and not the scatter-gun approach that seems to be used.
The washing station and toilet block were kept very clean but my personal opinion is they are to small for the size of the site and we often saw lengthy waits.
The first time I realised the site was all about profit was when the log van drove around site.....and kept driving around like a punter looking for a lady of the night. Don't get me wrong the logs were great for the camp fire but you almost felt pressed into buying some. Then it was the turn of the ice cream van to come around and wait....and wait; for at least an hour until every kid on the site had made sure their mums and dads had spent any change they had. Then there was the off-site visitor parking at £2.50 per car which I felt was a step to far. The only thing they didn't charge you for was fresh air, the views and the kids play area, and I'm sure they are looking at how to charge for the latter two as we speak.
We did also notice some pilfering ( shame on the guilty) with one women telling us her kids boots had been taken from the boot dryer.
At the end of our stay as we packed up I once again had the displeasure of speaking to the women who's customer focus was none existent and who clearly has a need to go on a communication skills seminar. We had all our items packed up so rather than make about twenty trips to our car which was parked about one hundred yards away ( at the insistence of the wardens) we pulled up on a grassed area where there had been a camper van parked the night before and was swiftly told to move my car back to where it had been parked........as the grassed area was unsuitable for vehicles????, so despite having a disability I had to make the constant trips back and forth until we were packed.

So to summarise:-
The site has some breathtaking views
The site is close to some lovely walks and drives out
The toilet blocks are very clean if a little crowded
The kids will love the adventure play area..... which is probably the best feature
The owners / staff have varying levels of customer focus from none existent to acceptable and their general attitude and approach is the single point which is stopping this site from becoming an excellent site. Their attitude is something they are obviously aware but unconcerned about, and the fact that they do not respond to any of the negative posts with a"sorry will try harder" tells me they are not bothered........so long as the till is ringing.

Room Tip: Don't expect any pleasantries from the staff and you won't be disappointed