“REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL”

Fisherground Campsite
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I have been to this site many times and keep coming back to it,sometimes up to three times in a year.I am a seasoned camper and 54years old but young at heart and like fun.I go toFGCS for the guaranteed peace and quiet that is encouraged by Mick and Alison.I come for the beautiful views and the great walks that can be had from the campsite and of course the campfires at night.I return to this site because I have ALWAYS been made welcome and treated with respect and kindness from the owners.
I like a good laugh with my friends and a good chat at night but 'We' are respectful that not everyone wants to Listen to us after 10.30pm so we whisper.Bearing in mind that some children are asleep at this time and of course bear in mind the early walkers that need a good rest before setting off on their journeys the day after.
Its about being considerate on any campsite and there has to be rules or the place would be chaotic.I feel that some of the negative comments are unjust and over the top.Most people blame the weather for not enjoying their trip but equally some blame the place or the people,Some people are just not cut out for this type of holiday and some probaly would be better off in a Butlins type of camp where its as noisey and Crass as you like.
My friends and I have just been to the site and had a good peaceful and well looked after break-AGAIN.thanks to the owners and their good managment of the site.Thankyou.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 October 2009

What a shame this site has had bad reviews.Having visited a couple of times during the school hols with our grandchildren we could not find a better site to keep them occupied all day long without any expense.These people who have complained can only be 'new age campers'wanting everything but the kitchen sink.Having been campers for over 30 years how things have changed.However the site is ideal,the play area fantastic and as for the quiet after 10-30pm heaven after being outdoors all day.If these people want to sing & dance all night long then this is not the site for them go to one which caters for party goers.The staff although over enthusiastic at times were helpful and kept the site well looked after.Keep up the good work and we shall be back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Stayed at the Fisherground again Aug bank holiday, couldn't park the car outside the tent because of the amount of rain that had fallen. this was not really a problem and quite understandable as it saved the grass from being churned up around the tents.
The owner helped me pick a decent pitch which was quite firm in spite of the rain.
People just seem to complain about the slightest thing nowadays,i think we have turned into a country of spoilt brats, if they don't quite get exactly what they want or if someone asks them to be a bit less noisey all the toys are thrown out of the pram.
Any way less of the rant,we had a lovely weekend of walking and a few pints of beer at the the end.If you're looking for a site where you want to be noisy till all hours with no thought for your fellow campers,then do us all a favour and find another site,and leave the Fisherground to people who want some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

It has 2 good points. 1) The views. 2) Acceptable play facilites. However........
The owners are extremely rude. Tried to charge us extra for a so called "large tent". As we had pre booked electric hook up I was able to get refund on this but not without a fight. Wo betide you if you make noise after 10.30pm!! Had we been playing loud music or screaming and shouting I would understand. However at 10.40pm we were enjoying a couple of glasses of wine while the kids were asleep and were told "not to enjoy ourselves quite as much!!" (Wasn't that why we were on holiday??) We were not aloud to park by our tent (although a very select few did!!). Barrier supposed to close at 9pm, but 1 night closed at 8pm and another 7pm. When barrier closed how would an emergency vehicle get in? Although I thought childrens play facilities were good I witnessed some children getting told off by staff for just being kids and having fun. The road round the campsite is full of pot holes. Even when leaving we parked half on road and half on grass when [acking to allow other vehicles past. Got told of for this!! Lading owner cleaning in mns toilets while men going to the loo (what would be the comment if a man was cleaning ladies toilets while ladies in loo??. I could go on and on. This site has a 3 star AA rating and I would struggle to give it 1 star. I spoke to other families who felt the same. DO NOT VISIT THIS SITE.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Stayed on this campsite at the weekend and had a very different experience to others who had posted about this campsite. We were a party of 4 (2 adults, 2 x5yr olds) , new to camping so pretty unsure what we were letting ourselves in for when we saw some of the feedback. What we found was
- A lovely campsite in a stunning setting
- No over zealous quad bikers spouting rules but a friendly group of wardens going about their jobs in a professional way.
- We experienced none of the 'lights out' patrolling and managed a great barbeque, good banter and a few beers without any criticism from the wardens
- A great playground and pond for the kids to splash in and lots of friendly, well behaved children
- An 'interesting' pub in walking distance with good bitter but awful lager
- Clean, hot showers where 50p gets more than enough time to have a wash and warm up

Overall some reviews made this place sound awful but we had a great time, kept two demanding 5 yr olds happy and will definitely go back when it warms up next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2009

This was our first camping trip and we decided on Fisherground because of the positive reviews on the UK campsite website and the facilities on offer for the children. There were four of us camping, myself, my daughter (5 years old) my friend and his son (5 years old).

A couple of days before we travelled, I discovered the negative reviews on trip advisor , but decided we would go anyway and at least we could prepare ourselves for the strict regime and the prospect of being verbally abused as previous posters said they had been.

Obviously we arrived with some trepidation to be met by a staff member on a quad bike, "here we go" we said. What a pleasant surprise, nothing like what we expected, there was no mention of rules and all he said about the grass was that it had been a wet summer and could we please go slow when on the grass so as not to cut it up.

Perfectly reasonable request we thought and so we set about putting our tent up. Once we were all set up we took the kids off the adventure playground and the pond were they happily played for a couple of hours. The scenery around the camp is stunning and we were very lucky with the weather.

Our evening was spent barbecuing and sitting around our campfire roasting marshmallows. I think the fact that they allow you to have a campfire really adds to the whole experience. All in all we found Fisherground to be a well run site in stunning suroundings with great facilities for the kids, who loved their first camping trip and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed at Fisherground at Eskdale during August Bank Holiday. Despite a lot of rain we enjoyed our holiday.
Alison and Mick gave us a warm welcome when we arrived and helped us to find a place suitable for our tent without having to drive all over the grass and round the site churning up the ground. Throughout our stay Alison & Mick were friendly and helpful.
The children's playground & rafting pond was a hit from the word go, whatever the weather they would have stayed there all day. We enjoyed beautiful walks, a ride on the little train that stops at the Site and each evening logs were sold round the site & everyone was having camp fires & toasting marshmallows.
The site rule of quiet after 10.30 pm was much appreciated, especially by families with young children. Alison, Mick or one of the wardens walked round the site every night despite the weather to make sure that everyone was reasonably quiet. Thank you.
The facilities were kept clean by 4 Wardens & there was always plenty of hot water.
We are already looking forward to visiting Fisherground next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family