“Interesting”

and up
High Adventure Day Tour from Keswick
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Eskdale
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I'm more local to this place and have visited a few times now, it's well sign posted and has plenty of information on the boards about all the different rooms etc, if I went up there and was disappointed by the fort then the views and surrounding area definitely make up for it, stunning vista across the valley, on a clear day it's fantastic to see. As well as that to get to the fort you have to go up Hardknott, the steepest road in England...that in it'self is a fun challenge with a car full of people! I would recommend a trip to this place it's so peaceful and beautiful.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

A wild wonderful place - very atmospheric and remarkably well preserved. Definitely worth a journey but watch out for the potholes on the top of Hardknott! The pass is not for the faint hearted or underpowered cars.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I'm only talking about the Hardknott Pass, as I was so shattered by the experience of driving that we couldn't think of sightseeing. I'd been over Hardknott thirty years ago and can only conclude that either I have a completely 'false memory' of the experience or that the condition of the road has worsened. After we were recovering in the hotel, I read in a guidebook that the gradients on Harknott are the steepest in England: 1 in 2.5 and 1 in 3.0 in places. Virtually perpendicular. I remembered those but not the multiple potholes and the narrowness of some of the inclines. It would be better described as a 'track' rather than a road. It was 'first gear' for an awful lot of the climb and simply impossible to get into second. You need a good car with plenty of acceleration. And if your passengers are nervous types and/or the weather conditions are not 100%, please think again. Or, better still, walk don't drive.

1  Thank Kay327
Reviewed 12 March 2014

we knew all along that this place was remote however the drive there was treacherous. i feel this would have been ok of anywhere this had been advised but to have 30% inclines with no warning is crazy

2  Thank handbags__addict_11
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful Roman ruin in such beautiful scenery! I visited in very cold conditions but enjoy the briskness of it. Visiting the site in January brought home the conditions the Romans would have had to endure which was insightful in itself.
The route over Hardknott Pass is stunningly beautiful. Not for the feint hearted but absolutely worth journey (larger vehicles are not recommend, I.e caravan's). The fort is extremely secluded with stunning views, perfect for walking or a picnic. In summer, this will be perfect for a lazy afternoon, with information placards around the ruins to make it as informative as you want it to be.
All in all a beautiful site for a lovely afternoon out, regardless of the weather in my opinion.