Brook House Inn and Restaurant
YHA Eskdale(Boot)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Stanley House(Eskdale)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslocal real alesmalt whiskyberry piemusselsthe pubexcellent foodravenglass and eskdale railwaymashlake districtwarm welcomegood sizequiet locationplenty of hot watergreat beerate heredown the roadboot inn
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Being extremely competent myself in the kitchen I enjoy eating in places that make food either equal or better than mine, I've got to say the meal I enjoyed (very much indeed) yesterday was absolutely outstanding!!!! Extremely friendly and helpful staff, lovely atmosphere and the cumberland sausage I had was the best I've had for some years (and I'm very particular with my cumberland sausage)!! 3 of us, a small child and a (fussy) vegetarian visited after a lovely walk in need of a cold refreshment (or two) and a good meal. The bar staff were very informative and helpful about the beers and ciders they had and made excellent suggestions. The cumberland sausage came with mash but I asked if I could have chips instead 'no problem'. We all cleared our plates (even my fussy toddler that doesn't eat or like chips)! My vegetarian friend commented that she finds it hard to eat out due to lack of choice and non-appetising meals, as a meat eater myself, her meal looked extremely appetising n she enjoyed every mouthful. As 20/30/40 somethings we feel we're quite educated but were introduced to a vegetable we'd ever heard of or seen before and it was lovely, the waitress explained to us what it was (which was great that she knew). We enjoyed the meal so much we decided that a sweet was the only way forward (as the main meal had been so good), it did not disappoint! raspberry meringue with cream and ice cream to die for and my 20 something friend cleared her hot choc fudge cake and ice cream, as did my toddler (and licked the bowl...surely a sign of a tasty sweet....my toddler not my friend). The atmosphere and surroundings were great too. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever and I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys a nice beer (or cider) and a beautiful meal. We will be back! we didn't stay overnight but they do have rooms, perhaps we will next time, if staying there is as good as our meal experience yesterday I'd be moving in!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank chille0ut
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Agree with lots of the comments on this place - great location, good selection of real ales and a fantastic (and decent value) whisky list. But the food was a bit average - nothing to complain about but nothing special either

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed at the Brook House Inn during the week before Easter when there was quite a lot of snow. We were very impressed by the Inn and felt that we had made an excellent choice. The best part of our stay was the delicious food which was of a considerably higher standard than we expected. Due to the fact that the Inn was not too busy (probably due to the weather) we ate in the bar which was warm and welcoming. We had a few dishes from the specials board which were great, this is clearly home cooked food and is not bought in. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there was a good selection of well priced local real ales and wines which we enjoyed. While the bedrooms were nothing special we found our room to be cosy and comfortable and we had a nice modern bathroom with a bath which is important to us after having been walking. The breakfasts were good and set us up for our day. We would recommend the Brook House Inn to people looking for accommodation in Boot and will return, hopefully when the weather is better for getting up the mountains!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

When you have 3 kids, the single most important thing is that you can ENJOY a tasty meal. So my thanks to the team at the Brook House Inn today for all of the small but very helpful touches that really made our 3 course lunchtime meal so relaxing. Our starters were brought out at the same time as the kids' meals, my youngest was offered a high chair and junior cutlery set much to her delight and everything from their accompanying hot chocolates through to the ice cream for pudding was presented with kindness and thought about their needs - thank you for making our lunch so relaxing:)

The ingredients in our black pudding stack sounded unusual (black pudding with orange), but somehow it worked well. Our salads were ok however they were off the starter menu and we opted for them as mains so fair enough. A great selection of whiskies, several local ales, 2 sorts of Sauvignon Blanc - everything you could want for a long afternoon relaxing from the brisk wind outside. Oh, and a warm and friendly welcome.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank caversham43
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We booked a meal for our Nans birthday for 16 people and the staff were great, decorated the room for us, blew up the baloons, even allowed us to change the time of booking an hr before we were due to arrive.
I had the seafoof medley from the specials board which was beautiful but my scallops were cold, I didnt complain as all the food came together and I know its difficult catering for large parties, the coffee torte was good too.
Would go back