“What a Gem of a place!!!!”
Review of Overwater Hall

Overwater Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ireby
Doha, Qatar
“What a Gem of a place!!!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This place certainly ranks highly on my "must return" list, and this is inspite of the horrendously wet rained that welcomed us. We stayed here for three nights last weekend.

Location: Fabulously tranquil, yet within easy reach of Keswick. It has the some of the best grounds I've ever visited. We had some lovely strolls in the garden, and also on the board walk, with little puppet. But if you are a keen rambler/hiker, then you could easily go on for miles and miles on various trails. I'd like to make a little suggestion to have some sort of water facility by the entrance to clean boots/doggies after a muddy walk. Luckily puppet is small enough for me to carry into the room and dunked in the bath. But I hesitate to imagine what happens to the larger dogs.

Staff and Service: Easily rivalled any of the leading hotels of the world. What more can I say?

Food: We dined at the restaurant twice and neither meals disappointed. Pre-dinner canapes were delicious and set the tone for the entire meal. For starters, if it's on the menu, try the king scallop and lobster ravioli, which is served with a lightly thai fragrant sauce. I had the home hot-smoked salmon on the second night, and wow, that was some smoked salmon. We then feasted on a trio of cumbrian lamb and rare beef fillet. Both were perfectly executed although my friend's beef fillet was served rather too well done instead of rare as ordered. The fish course was again cook to perfection, being moist and not overly dry. I can't say much about desserts as I had the cheese platter both nights but my husband had nothing to complain about. Cheeses were local but the best was the home made chutney. It was so good that I wanted to take some home!

Breakfast was cooked to order. Do try the home-made muesli although my husband did find it a little too filling if you have the cooked breakfast as well. Nice selection of croissant and pastries, as well as fruit jams.

Bedroom: We booked the Garden Room downstairs as I liked the idea of having a drink on the patio. Disappointingly, we didn't get the chance. But the room was spacious and comfortable, with a very large bathroom but a small flat screen TV. Plenty of storage space. I found the decor a little old and dated, and the TV a little too small. but that might just be a personal thing. My friends had one of the superior rooms upstairs (room 4) and I liked that room very much. I also had a peek of the Turret Room, which was also very nice. Next time, I'll have one of those instead.

Dogs: They certainly are very welcomed here, which is refreshing. My only complaint is that Puppet's dinners were nothing special. He had beef for the first night (don't think it was steak) which was far too over cooked), and plain grilled chicken the second night which was fine. They were cheap at £5 per meal but I would prefer to pay more for something more special like rump steak, chicken livers or calves livers.

All in all, we loved the place and will recommend this to all our friends.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room.
2 Thank gizmopuppet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Overwater Hall is a lovely place and nicely located away from the more crowded parts of the Lake District. It is still within easy reach of Keswick and other destinations. The house is pretty, with comfortable public spaces and homey bedrooms. I had one of the tower rooms, and it was spacious and well-appointed with a very nice bathroom. It also had lovely views of the property, which is one of the best things about Overwater. The grounds offer very pleasant strolls, and I was just sorry I couldn't have my dogs with me (which I think everyone else staying there did). The owners/staff were extremely nice and helpful. I ate dinner at Overwater both nights I stayed; the restaurant was very solid (and of course convenient). The breakfasts were very good as well. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Overwater Hall.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Cameron K
United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We always stay in the Garden Room, this is on the ground floor, which means we don't have any stairs to climb up after over indulging in the restaurant! It also means our Basset Hound (aged 13 years and four months) doesn't have to watch us struggle up the stairs (or is it the other way around?) The room is spacious with it's own private balcony over looking the gardens and fells. We watched squirrels and roe dear and listened to the birds singing. We enjoyed sipping Pimms, eating wonderful food. Stephen, Angela and Luke looked after us very well. Not forgetting Adrian and all the other staff. We only live 18 miles away - but it is like stepping out of our busy lives and slipping into heaven. Thank you and see you soon.

Chinnor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a relaxed , quiet, laid back break with excellent food and wonderful views in the Lake District look no farther than Overwater Hall. All of the previous reviews are spot on and we cannot wait to go back albeit longer than the two days we stayed at the end of April. Thanks to Stephen, Luke, Angela and all the staff we met during our stay, please don't change a thing as everything is already perfect.

Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Our 14th wedding anniversary and we decided to have afternoon tea as a little treat at Overwater Hall.
As you drive into the 18 acre site its like you leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind, you walk through the door and you slip into 'relax' mode.
Afternoon tea was served in the lounge on comfy seats with unbeatable views. Whilst sat there eating our array of finger sandwhiches, we were entertained with an abundance of wildlife in the garden, woodpeckers, finches, sparrows and loads more.
We had the lightest scones we've ever had, absolutley gorgeous, followed by an assortment of delicate home baked cakes and tray bakes, we just couldn't finish them, but we did take them home :-) No diets here!
To sum up well worth the money, great service in a fantastic place. Well worth a trip. We'll go for lunch next time. Try it yourself?

Sydney
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed two nights. Great central location and staff were very accommodating, excellent service. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SJ_L_K
derby
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have just returned from a visit to Overwater Hall. This is our 23rd year going there so that says it all. It is a perfect place to stay whatever your requirements. I took photos of red squirrels and deer in the garden as well as watching a woodpecker through a window. The 'board' walk through the 18 acres of natural garden is delightful, with the backdrop of the fells all around you, even a bench to sit on, the scenery is magical. The rooms are beautiful with all those little extra luxuries - (including Adrians complementary liquer for a night cap) the care and attention given by everyone cannot be bettered, nothing is too much trouble and as for the food - the presentation itself is like a picture, even before you taste it. Do try it for yourselves.

Room Tip: Our favourite is the Garden Room which is on the ground floor, it has a door to your own little pati...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank janet o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ireby
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Embleton
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Overwater Hall? Share your experiences!