“Beautiful”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have dined here on a number of occasions and have never once been disappointed! The produce is always fresh and local and the food once again cooked to perfection!!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Menu was varied, with all produce sourced locally. Presentation was exceptional, with food cooked to perfection. Service fantastic.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have eaten at Overwater Hall on a number of occasions and they maintain a consistently high standard. This visit commenced with an amuse bouche of steak tartare and prawn parcels, the tartare being outstanding. Starter was an excellent crab risotto, main of various pork cuts, (belly pork great although the fillet was slightly over), and a desert of pear crème brulee with homemade pear ice cream which was also excellent. Other stand out dishes were the rabbit terrine, a prawn cocktail, (which had a fantastic beetroot panacotta wrapped in smoked salmon), and a mango themed desert with the most delicious coconut ice cream. Wine prices aren't at all bad for this quality of establishment and all the staff are very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Between Christmas and New Year, six of us went for Afternoon Tea at Overwater Hall. We booked ahead for 3pm on Friday, 28 December. We were taking American couple, my daughter and her Canadian boyfriend. We should have checked the map more carefully as we took a circuitous route to the hotel, and satnav is not helpful. But on arrival, the place is a delightful old English Country House, standing in its own grounds, and Steve (the owner) was pleasant and welcoming.

We were seated in the lounge in comfy chairs around a low tea table. Our guests were entranced by the room and keen to know more about the history of the house. Most of the comments, however, were reserved for the ample sandwiches, scones, cakes, etc. None of the dainty 'pop it into your mouth at one go' here, This was a beautifully presented and served proper English Afternoon Tea which charmed our guests.

We would definitely go again.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I live within a few miles of this hotel and restaurant and cannot now understand why I have not visited it before. It is in a beautiful and peaceful setting close to one of the Lake District's small and lesser known lakes, Overwater. Our meal began in a comfortably furnished lounge with G & T and canapes. My starter was full of differing but complementary flavours, consisting of intensely flavoured hot-smoked salmon layered with crab and an avocado mousse and accompanied by an even more intensely flavoured lobster jelly, while my friend had a king scallop with langoustine ravioli and coconut broth, an equally successful combination of flavours. The fish course (no choice at this stage) was a mildly curried cream risotto of crab, very subtly flavoured. For my main course I chose a supreme of duck on honeyed root vegetables with duck confit on pommes Anna, a smoked duck croquette and a wonderful sliver of seared foie gras, accompanied by a fig compote, a complete triumph, while my frind chose fillet of beef on a shallot tart tatin, again with seared foie gras. We could have argued endlesly about which if us had made the better choice! Desserts are not really my "thing", but again there was an excellent choice, with coffee and petits fours in the lounge to follow. With half a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red, carefully chosen for value from a good but fairly expensive wine list, a memorable meal for two, including pre-dinner drinks, came to £134, for food of real quality, put together with imagination and style. Service was pleasant, efficient and unobtrusive, as it should be in a restaurant of this quality. To quote Arnie, "I'll be back!"

1  Thank MikeTCumbria