“Almost perfect”
Review of The Barn Tea Rooms

The Barn Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Lorton
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just called on spec when I passed the site, cafe busy, very unusual as situated in the old dairy, the floor being all on different levels. I ordered soup, roll and a cappuccino, all very good. The only downside was being ignored as I sat and waited for my order to be taken. The waitress seemed more concerned to take the order from a table next to me, who apparently were management or known personally to the waitress. She also had ignored two other customers who were there before me, also waiting to be served. For this reason I won't be calling again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We can only talk about the tearoom which we have visited twice during our week in the Lake District. It is in a recently renovated cowshed following the floods last year. With original floors and a huge wood burning stove, it's a perfect place to thaw out after a day on the hills. The portions are generous and well priced. We enjoyed 'The Edwardian Tea' which was wonderful. Very friendly staff make the whole experience perfect.

2  Thank Andy and Kath M
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have visited The Barn Tea Rooms many, many times over the years, and have always had a lovely afternoon tea or lunch in the past. We arrived with friends for afternoon tea yesterday, Sunday afternoon at 3.30pm. As soon as we walked in, the staff seemed to disappear into the back, and even though they had seen us, we couldn't get their attention. However, we found a table to sit at, and browsed the menu. During this time, someone was banging a hammer really loudly upstairs, and we couldn't actually hear ourselves talk. We put up with it though, as we knew we were in for a treat. We ordered soups, a cream tea, and a ploughmans lunch. (We did want some hot food, but we were told it was no longer available as it had all sold out.) Unfortunately, the soup was cold to luke warm (it would have been lovely too, if served hot), the scones were stale, and the ploughmans had coarse outer lettuce leaves, tough pickled onions, and not very nice cheeses (my friend couldn't eat it). I had a cappuchino, which turned out to be what tasted like an instant coffee with a tiny bit of froth on top. It seemed to us that the owner/manager wasn't there, and the staff wanted to get finished asap. I hope that this is a one off. We are retired restaurantuers, so we know what we are talking about. We won't be going back though. Shame.

1  Thank Helen K