“Nice holiday, but beware special offers”
Review of Brockwood Hall

Brockwood Hall
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at Brockwood Hall through a voucher deal. The lodge was perfectly adequate and comfortable - towels and bedding were provided, and the lodge was serviced daily. IIt was not very child-friendly due to low shelves and steps up to the lodge, so we had to block certain areas off from our toddler, but he was fine when we did that.
The lodge is in a good location for visiting many attractions - Muncaster Castle, Coniston, Ravenglass railway are all about 30-40 minutes drive away.
The office and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful, but our holiday was almost spoiled by one persistent member of staff who insisted that our 'deal' came with the 'condition' that we spend time finding out about the time share options for holidays with the company. We pointed out that this wasn't clear in the terms and conditions of our voucher (in fact it was quite vague, mentioning only an 'orientation tour', not an attempt to try and sell us something), and eventually (but only after 2 days) we were left alone to enjoy our holiday. It was also pointed out a couple of times to us how much money we had paid for the holiday (quite unprofessional I thought) but then we also had to endure 3 days of noisy road resurfacing works taking place directly outside our lodge from 8.30am every morning, so if we had paid the full price for the holiday we would have had a very good case for not doing so anyway.
We did manage to have a nice holiday though. The lodge was nice, and the couple of times we ate up at the main house, the food was excellent, just a little slow (if you have a toddler, it might be worth pre-ordering food). We didn't get chance to use the pool but it looked ok.
I don't think we would stay at Brockwood Hall again through a special offer because of the experience we had, which is a real shame because we did have a nice holiday in the end.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RichRach2010
Brockwood L, General Manager at Brockwood Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the resurfacing work which did take slightly longer than was anticipated.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful two weeks here and found the Staff very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a 2 bedroom lodge for the first week, then a three for the second week as some friends joined us for the last 6 days of our holiday. We found the lodges were very clean and pleasant with new appliances and a fully fitted kitchen. The restaurant served delicious food at a reasonable price and the bar was nice and relaxing. We would recommend the resort to anyone wanting a top class holiday experience.

Andy & Jan

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank andrewhales

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, I'm glad that you enjoyed it and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Arrived on 30/05/14 for a couple nights stay at the Brockwood Hall lodge with the wife and 2 kids. The lodge I stayed at was the Lune Lodge which accommodates up to 4 people. The location is very nice and the scenery is stunning. The journey to get to the lodge was also brilliant you have to go through 10-13 miles through the country side.

The lodge itself was ok but would definitely need some refurbishment i.e. the doors need replacing very old. Bathroom lock needs replacing, opening the patio is a massive struggle. The beds would need replacing as when you lie down you can feel the springs.

These are things that should be checked regularly without customers actually mentioning them On average you would pay £300+ so really you would expect better, however the above would not put me off to come back again.
My biggest disappointment was before I travelled I checked twice to make sure there was a fridge freezer available in my lodge (Lune Lodge), the reply that was given to me was "there is a fridge freezer" but the freezer compartment is small and you can only fit a couple of boxes of fish fingers, which was was ok for me. Once I got to my lodge I realised that there was only a fridge. I rang up the reception and they said that lodge doesn't come with a fridge freezer. I told them that I was advised that there is a small compartment for a freezer but they said sorry its been replaced. They offered to store my frozen food some where else but I refused as I shouldn't need to especially being advised twice there is a small compartment for a freezer (1 day before travelling). I eventually had to throw my frozen food.

You have to pay for the electric which is fair enough and you have to top up the electric meter first and any credit that remains is refunded which is good.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank enjoytravelling2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, I'm so sorry about the mix up over the fridge, this really was an oversight as all the other fridges do have a small ice box. This has since been corrected with a replacement fridge that does have an ice box. As you may be aware we are quite recently under new ownership and we have plans for substantial refurbishment which includes replacement beds. We look forward to welcoming you back to Brockwood in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this holiday accommodation via RCI, centred in the grounds of the ancestral home of the Whitehaven Shipping Company owner Daniel Brocklebank, later to become part of Cunard.
Accommodation comprises of Norwegian Pine Lodges, built on stilts in the Wicham Valley. Our party of four had a six berth lodge, one double (on suite) and two bedrooms with two singles in each. The lodges are 28 years old, fitted with very modern kitchens and bathrooms. A daily maid service is available Whole centre has been recently purchased and is in the process of transformation. Facilities include a heated swimming pool, bar with a restaurant, excellent food served by wonderful staff. Situated in the south west of the Lake District, giving easy access to a myriad of activities and opportunities that area has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tickmehappy
Brockwood L, General Manager at Brockwood Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Very many thanks for sharing your experience and especially for including a little of the history of our lovely resort, I am sure this will be of interest to other potential customers. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived here after been moved from the worse site ever.
Our arrival was jaw dropping and we couldn't believe our eyes.
Receptionist was very friendly and most helpful. Was given a free wifi code and when we did use it we had no trouble.

My two children were amazed by it all and that's before we entered our 2 storey lodge.

Wow the kids said the look on their little faces said it all. Running around in amazement and choosing there very own rooms. We were unprepared for such lavish fixtures and fittings and a sauna as well, to top it of most of all the view from our balcony it was breath taking what more could you ask for it was stunning and we felt so blessed.

The lodge was well fitted and loads of space. Great kitchen and plenty of room for all the family. Upstairs been the living area had a large flat screen tv and leather sofas with a lovely log burner but we didn't use it as it's well central heated. Was very warm at times but plenty of windows too help cool the place down. We had a tv in our main bedroom but it wasn't working and I'm sure they would of sorted it but we forgot too meant ion it as we weren't in their much.
I would highly recommend this place and I will be returning again very soon.
Only little snag was at the end of our holiday checking out we had a bill for the electric which we didn't know about, but too be fair we had been moved from another resort and hadn't had our confirmation sent but may be some good advice when we first checked in would of been forewarned.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Jeanette A

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of our lovely resort, I'm really glad that we exceeded your expectations and sincerely hope to see you all again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at Brockwood Hall on a RCI exchange in April. We had a 3 bedroomed cabin which had recently had some refurbishment, the kitchen and bathroom and shower rooms were new and the cabin well equipped.The area is beautiful but quiet, there is free wi fi so teenagers can retreat to their I pads if it rains.We have stayed at many time shares and the toilet rolls have always been replaced when cleaning took place, not so here what you have on arrival is your lot ! The nearest shop is 6 miles away, there is no shop on site, and if you family use toilet rolls up at the same rate as mine ................so stock up !

Room Tip: Grasmere cabin is quite dark
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jennie1943

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Brockwood Hall, apologies for the oversight regarding the loo rolls, these are in fact replaced free of charge if you are staying for a week.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Spent last weekend in the brilliant Brockwood Hall Lodges. We stayed in Fairfield Lodge right down in the bottom of the woods (I wouldn't recommend for people with poor mobility) it's very quiet & secluded & was perfect for our 1st anniversary celebrations (& the dog!!)

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the lodge, it was very clean & full of fresh towels, coffee & tea, soap, fresh bed linen & all the mod cons.... there was even a hairdryer!!

We ate out in the restaurant on our 2nd night. Despite having to wait for our food due to a large booking upstairs, the staff couldn't apologise enough & kept us well informed. We enjoyed what we had & received free dessert for the inconvenience of having to wait (which we was able to take away)

My other half used the pool with no problems, it was clean & well kept.

The only downside to the weekend was not being able to book in until 4pm & having to book out by 10am, however, you could have checked out later at a cost of £5 per half hr extra. You do have to pay for electricity used, but despite the electric fire & the small heater in the main bedroom being on constantly, plus use of the cooker, shower etc, we only managed to use just over £3 for the whole weekend.

The staff are very helpful & friendly. I have already recommended Brockwood to friends & we hope to return sooner rather than later.

Thank you for a wonderful weekend!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank LizzyBear39
Brockwood L, General Manager at Brockwood Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review, I'm sure other travellers will find this really helpful. We are of course delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you choose to spend your 2nd anniversary with us also, please do let us know so that we can something special for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Millom
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#3 of 15 in Millom
The Pavilion Guest House
0 mi away
Foxcroft Bed & Breakfast

Been to Brockwood Hall? Share your experiences!