“Lovely stay”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Jazzberry Cottage

Bright and airy kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Bright and airy kitchen
The spacious, luxurious lounge
The cosy wood burner and lakeland fireplace
The contemporary kitchen
Twin bedded room
Fresh and funky twin bedded room
Drench and invigorate in separate power shower
Boutique styling throughout
Messing about in the local lakes - perfect
Delightful end terrace cottage with easy access of A590
Set yourself free in the Lakeland Fells
We are surrounded by lush, fertile valleys - ripe for exploration
Windermere Lake from Gummers Howe - 3min drive
Our favourite circular walk - start from the cottage
Local Trout Farm 1mile from Jazzberry
Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway - walking distance from Jazzberry
Cruise Lake Windermere from Lakeside ( or link with the Steam Trains)
Swan at Newby Bridge, perfect location for a drink (foods great too) I mile from Jazzberry
Nearby Cartmel - medieval village - 4 miles
Nearby Fell Foot - swim, sail, play, eat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

chariot
East Midlands
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 13 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Jazzberry. From the original booking to the actual stay we have had great personal, prompt and professional service from Emma.

There was a brilliant package of fresh flowers, bread, milk and scones to welcome us as we first arrived, as well as a very comprehensive guide about everything you will need to know for a stay in the area, although we didn't get chance to explore much as our main reason for staying was to climb Scafell Pike (an hour's drive away).

The cottage is beautiful, very comfortable and well equipped, and has small added extras such as store cupboard ingredients, washing up liquid which sometimes are not present in self catering places. Great shower, comfy beds and big fluffy towels. Nice and toasty warm with the heating too, no danger of being cold here!

I'd definitely stay here again.

Liked best: The homely,cosy feeling
Travelling group: Friends
Kassel
Reviewed 24 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The rain-like shower head in the bathroom
Liked least: Terrace on the backside unfortunately not really usable during rainy weather :-(
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
gazhig
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed in both the stay and customer services”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 for a stay in June 2014

The Jazzberry Cottage looked perfect for me, my wife and 5 month old baby for our first ever holiday, but unfortunately, the description I read on Trip Advisor just didn't match the experience and wasn't very accurate. The cottage itself is very nice, but....

- The road was the biggest problem for us - the cottage is literally right on top of a very busy A road. We had major problems getting my son to sleep and then keeping him that way due to the noise of the road. We had no idea the cottage was pretty much on top of the main road! The noise of cars, lorries etc rushing past his window was quite upsetting, and it’s clear the location is not suitable for a family like ours. I also found the road was dangerous to cross with a pram and that you could only really walk to the hotel across the road with a pram, with everywhere else requiring a car.

- The “decking” was hugely misrepresented in the description. It reads “the lounge leads out to the decked yard area, which is ideal for the mandatory G&T”. I have to let people know that the area is not ideal for sitting outside, unless you want to inhale the CO2 coming from the vehicles on the way past. Not to mention the noise. And even if we wanted to, I don’t even think there were deck chairs provided. This says everything about it being suitable for sitting outside.

- Whilst the welcome pack is a lovely touch, it was strange that we weren’t supplied with toilet tissue. We had to purchase our own following an unexpected trip to the shop as soon as we arrived. We left some in case the next guests were in a similar position to us.

I had really looked forward to a quiet relaxing holiday, but the location of the cottage is certainly not “overlooking the delightful Leven Valley”. The cottage itself is lovely, we had no problem with this, but a crying baby, a constantly busy main road and a non-existent deck really disappointed us over the days we were there.

The whole point of trip advisor is to provide real reviews on travel experiences, and I have to say that I don’t think users are currently getting the full picture about the cottage.

I tried contacting Emma who books the cottage and was offered a "good will gesture" of 10% off a stay at an alternative cottage. Unfortunately, this was our only holiday of the year. She also told us that the description would be changed to make sure no-one else was mistaken, but this has not yet happened, which is why I'm writing this review.

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
11 Aug 2014
I am sorry hear you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. I would like to think that all our guests had a lovely experience when staying in Jazzberry; however I am a realist and know that this will not always be the case. We endeavour to learn and improve from all feed back whether that be good or bad, and the vast majority of our guests do enjoy what Jazzberry offers.

Firstly and for me the most disappointing aspect was the lack of toilet paper. This is not the norm. The cleaner is supposed to refresh with spare rolls. If you had called when you discovered the oversight and I would have popped by with some for you.

I agree the road is a contentious issue and the location is not to everyone's taste. I think it depends on how accustomed you are road noise. I would say that 5% of our guests mention it, but we have a high number of loyal returnees and many guests leave very positive reviews and comments in the visitor book. I really wish we could please all the people all of the time. You must have stayed during the heat wave and had the windows open? As a previous review states "The location at first looks to be busy and noisy....but once the doors are closed it is very peaceful"

We do not hide the location of the property and it is clearly shown on the map as being located next to an 'A' road. In the online description it states "The cottage has a small decked yard area, however this leads out onto the A590 and the front door leads directly onto the road. The fact that the roads are a danger to children and that the cottage is split over three levels with an open staircase means we would not recommend the property to families with young children. They must be road aware"

I wish that I could wave a magic wand and ask guests to let us know what they are looking for / not looking for when they book. We know how important being happy in accommodation is, so if people ask about the road and the noise, I never fabricate the truth and suggest that perhaps Jazzberry isn't for them. I also suggest people use the street view option on google maps to get a feel for the cottage. But we also know that many people appreciate the other amenities such as the modern, comfortable interior, the roll top bath and walk in shower, log burner etc and as people have reviewed ... a "good location with ... access to main roads and the many beauty spots that the South Lakes has to offer"

With regard to the 'decked area', the chairs had been removed for cleaning. There is now new furniture. Again if only you have called I would have arranged for some immediately.

This review has upset both the owner and myself the agent greatly as we give 100% in providing a quality cottage and service. However I thank you for your comments as all feedback is valid and makes us think. .
Emma
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 2 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Reviewed 1 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Clean and well appointed
Liked least: Located close to a very busy road
Travelling group: Young Children
Reviewed 12 January 2014 for a stay in November 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
mariemac1
uk
“Beautifull Cottage”
Reviewed 6 May 2013 for a stay in May 2013

Stayed at Jazzberry cottage for 3 nights and would highly reccomend. It was very modern clean and bright with everything you needed. we all had a wonderfull weekend. I booked this as we were attending our nieces wedding at The Swan Hotel Newby Bridge and this was just over a mile up the road and very good value. Will definetly be returning to this cottage.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Having to leave
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing