“overpriced food”

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“overpriced food”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Be warned
Don't get me wrong we've stayed in this hotel for many years - the location and hotel itself are beautiful but now spoilt as restaurant prices are ridiculous
£17 for a large fish finger and some chips £7 for soup
Service is good in our experience
Steak and chips on the £48 set menu was as pub food

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank georgina_om

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
chichester
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We have come back to Lakeside after almost 7 years, now with three daughter when before we had one. Little has changed, which is good news and not bad. The staff are really excellent, helpful and very welcoming, although possibly a little formal - but that is being very picky indeed. The food in both restaurants was good bordering on excellent, with both offering something different in terms of decor, service and formality. The children's menu in both (the same) was enjoyed by our three after days out enjoying the lake district. Breakfast is lovely and relaxing in the smart lakeside restaurant.

The pool is fantastic for children and empty before breakfast every day which was a joy for our three who insisted on swimming pre-breakfast every day at 0700! The gym is basic and could do with a more up to date bike.

Our suite (room 15) was two rooms, one with bunks and one with a large bed. We did experience a little noise from outside at night as it overlooked a staff outside corridor (this could be a real problem in the summer if your windows were open). A great family room nevertheless.

Our only adverse comments are: the hotel needs more kids games or a small games room (the games in the lounge have seen better days) and the corridors leading to rooms are slightly tatty and let down the rest of the hotel.

We will go back and really enjoyed our stay. Thanks lakeside team.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shreddie1
uk
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had the most amazing afternoon tea here, booked as a treat for my husband's birthday. Although it was a Saturday afternoon, it was pleasantly quiet in the conservatory and we were given a table with the most magnificent view of the lake. Staff were highly attentive and nothing was too much of a problem for them, including boxing up some of the leftover cakes at the end. We started with a taster of a warming white onion soup and then had a plate of deliciously fresh sandwiches. And then came the cake tower....wow! macaroons, Florentines, scones, fruit cake, sticky toffee cupcakes, apple pieces, chocolate torte to name a few. Truly the most spectacular and tasty array of sweet treats we have ever seen, all washed down with copious amounts of tea. What a treat. Thank you so much to the Lakeside Hotel for this fabulously memorable experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cb1uk
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

What a great hotel for a romantic break and to get away from it all! The perfect retreat for a bit of pampering, lovely spa treatments and a super pool with Jacuzzi. We were provided with lovely fluffy white dressing gowns to wear after our swim. Very comfy room with a lake view every thing we needed. Breakfast was a feast and even better sitting by the window watching the boats bobbing on the water. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The restaurants are a bit on the expensive side but worth trying. On the whole a wonderful birthday treat.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 305 and views were great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank val d
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had booked this hotel to celebrate my birthday.On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and after enquiring about an upgrade(which we received for a reasonable price)we were given a little tour around the hotel.We were shown the Spa,the restaurants and the lounges.Whilst we were being shown round our luggage had been delivered to our room.Our room was extremely comfortable with a great view over the lake.We ate twice in the John Ruskin brassiere and once in the Lakeside restaurant.,the food was excellent each time as was the service.We were made to feel very welcome throughout our stay by all of the staff.Really enjoyed using the spa area,the pool ,steam room and sauna are great.I would readily go back again

Room Tip: Lake side views are great.(ask for an upgrade on arrival,they are very reasonable)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CIDER59
North West
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Had an amazing day with an afternoon tea spa package but then things went wrong.
Had a lovely relaxing day celebrating my mothers 60th birthday. Spent the day by the pool and had treatments in the spa followed by a beautiful afternoon tea. It was very expensive but it was a special occasion and appeared to be worth the cost.
The service from all staff on the day was brilliant and very friendly.
Then...Before we had left the hotel the nail polish on 2 of my freshly manicured nails peeled off, I put it down to me not being careful.
We returned home that evening and I immediately became ill and remained so all night. Upon checking with the 2 others in my party I found that they too had been similarly ill.
I visited my GP and once well enough emailed the hotel. I also informed them that all of the nail polish had peeled off my nails.
I received a quick response from a manager saying that nobody else had reported being I'll but she would look into it and respond within 24 hours. She did not respond.
When the manager did reply to my further email it was to offer me a manicure (which I declined due to the distance away) and to ask if I had seen a GP.
My GP then confirmed I had been suffering from salmonella. The response from the hotel was that they would cooperate with the authorities.
I find it hard to believe that 3 people, who had stayed the day at the same hotel and only eaten on the hotel premises, who were all ill at the same time with the same symptoms did not contract their illness through the hotel.
I was also disappointed in the lack of an apology from the hotel and very little by way of compensatory gesture.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank the-flea
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just perfect everything you could wish for lake setting ,perfect rooms some with lake view ,we sat in our room in our white fluffy dressing gowns eating our perfect lakeside Breakfast served in our room ,just perfect .spar was wonderfull ,steam boats outside of hotel . Dinner just wonderfull well worth a visit not the cheapest hotel but worth every penny

Room Tip: Must be a lake view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,025 reviews
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,803 reviews

Been to Lakeside Hotel? Share your experiences!