Lakeside Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel(Newby Bridge)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$195
  • Breakfast included
Swan Hotel & Spa(Newby Bridge)
US$185
US$128
Hampsfell House Hotel(Grange-over-Sands)
US$107
1,400 results
All reviewslake viewjohn ruskinafternoon teamain restaurantan aquariumfine diningtraditional hotellake districtper headnothing is too much troublesandwichesstunning locationspecial occasionlovely hotelhotel facilitiestop classsteam train
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Not a stay, but a surprise lunch for my wife. We don't live too far from the lakes and often go shopping in the area, so like to try hotels for lunch. I must admit this hotel surprised us, as we have often passed it and did not fancy it. However reading the reviews on this site were most positivve, so we booked for lunch on what was a most wet day !.
However the attrention to detail was great, the staff very efficient, and the sevice and meal we had in the restaurant was top class, in fact it made our day. It is on the basis of this experience that my wife wishes to book one of the luxury short breaks, so I think that will go ahead shortly !. A good hotel, will return.

Dr Malc

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SentaFleetwood
Reviewed 4 October 2008

My wife and i stayed at the lakeside recently on a three night deal.
All was fine on check in staff friendly and baggage delivered to the room which was a good point. Hotel was elegant loads of charm in a location to die or kill for!! Then the first problems!! My wife always checks the matresses for cleanliness as we are particular where we lay our heads!! The mattress was badly stained as was the mattress cover which was under the sheet.Reception called and Marcus the manager attended. He made us feel a lot better!! NOT!! He explained that "well when people have sex madam these stains happen" AND I SUPPOSE WE WERE SUPPOSED TO SLEEP ON THEM? WE ASKED. after all this was a four star hotel with room rates to match not a b and b in blackpool. He said we could move room but could not have an upgrade on any account . He showed my wife a alternate room which she rejected as the window faced a wall and then she was taken to another room which was acceptable. " CAN I CHECK THE MATRESS?" she asked certainly madam, she was met by a big brown/red stain obviously blood or worse which had encroached onto the matress cover again. The manager was shocked and we were immediately upgraded to a brilliant room with not a sex or bodily function stain in sight!!--- not a good start.
The rest of the stay was very relaxing, the breakfasts were very adequate with just a little more thought needed to the continental breakfast itinary that being no meats available but otherwise very good. In general the staff were helpful very polite if a little patronising at times a bit like robots . On the last day the waitress was intent on getting us from the breakfast table asap as she was clearing before we ever finished!! We never had a evening meal there as for us it was too arty farty and too expensive as was all the menus and extras which on ocassion seemed to be almost robbery!! We ate out at local pubs the Masons Arms on strawberry bank being lovely and the Lindale inn excellent all sensibly priced and proper food!! The liesure facilities were very good but closed too early at 7-30pm The spa girls were a credit to the hotel. We got to look at the higher priced suites and rooms and to be honest save your money!! as they are past there sell by date and drab. The hotel does need some dragging into the 21st century as old tvs and no fridges in expensive rooms were things we noticed. I have tried to be accurate and as a whole it was a relaxing three days but we feel that it is overpriced and will have to compete. I would not take children there as youth seemed to be frowned upon and it was not child friendly at all. We also were not enticed by the cost of the sandwiches that being £14. Saying all this we would go again but would not pay full rate to do so!! happy daze

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I took my wife to the Lakeside Hotel for her birthday this year; we wanted something a little different this time around, and the Lakeside turned out to be an excellent choice. I booked on Lastminute.com, one of their Top Secret hotels, and then phoned the hotel direct to get an upgrade to a Lake View room - well worth it! Valet parking outside the hotel (very necessary, because there is very little space directly outside the front door!), very efficient valet service, and a very relaxed but efficient reception - possibly the smallest reception desk I've ever seen! We were checked in, and taken on a tour of the downstairs rooms, restaurants, and spa. We were then taken to our room, where our luggage was already waiting - good service!

The food was excellent, and complimented by an extensive wine list. Whether outside by the lake; in the conservatory, or in the restaurants themselves, the staff are friendly and attentive.

The outside of the hotel is a bit of a mixture - directly outside is a pretty lawn which leads to the lake shore, and it is very quiet and genteel. Beside the hotel is a public car park which serves the Lake Aquarium, the ferry to Windermere and the ferry directly across the lake, and the Steam railway which runs south along the tip of the lake. So, there is plenty to do and see - and very close walking distance!

The spa is very nice indeed; good size pool, jacuzzi, steam & sauna, gym, and treatement rooms - everything you need, and very relaxing.

The only thing to highlight is that this is not a cheap area for food, and the hotel food prices are pretty steep. The quality is good, but if you are looking for cheap and cheerful, this isn't it. It is a very genteel setting, with very attentive service, and you pay for the privelige. But, on the whole, I think it was definitely worth it! :-)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank soulsease
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Stayed here 20th September for the 3rd time in 2008 and this time we took our parents. They are not easily pleased or impressed but I knew I had nothing to worry about when booking the Lakeside.
We had a couple of the country house rooms which had their own patio areas. They looked out onto the road which isn't my preference when the hotel is located on the banks of the lake but they were private and non the less the rooms were very nice. They had the sun in their patios throughout the day so the lack of a lake view was not a concern to me.
As ever the hotel was a delight. Some of the hotel's advertising states that 'you feel at home as soon as you walk through the door' and my mother picked up this as being an accurate representation of the hotel's general ambiance.
We ate in the Lakeview restaurant and enjoyed a terrific meal. My folks were well impressed. The best dessert my mother had ever had! Yeah, ok at £49/head it's a bit steep but as you know, you get what you pay for and if it's going to be as good as it was then fair enough. I'm not sure how often the menu is changed but it was the same one that we were offered when we last visited in May. This wasn't a problem to us though since we can never make our mind up anyway.
Breakfast was excellent as well.
Most of all though, and this should never be taken for granted, was the superb attitude of all the staff. From the gentleman porter right through to the management, everybody is genuinely concerned that you enjoy your stay. We love it up there and I'm just going to have a think if I can fit in another visit before the year is out, after all it's only money aint it!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 September 2008

My husband and I stayed her for two nights midweek in August after looking at some reviews on Trip Advisor. I telephoned the hotel direct to discuss room types and received a comprehensive talk through all the accomodation on offer, no rush or pressure at all. We choose one of two lodges.that are situated outside of the main hotel .These have their own private garden, very spacious open plan bedroom/sitting room, well equiped bathroom and a private sauna! A glass wall opens up and you are right on on lake with stunning views and ducks that wander up to check if you will part with a biscuit for them. The main hotel is warm, welcoming with Old English charm in abundance. Food is exceptional, we ate in both resturants. The main resturant offers a 6 course meal for just under £50.00 per head, great value as one of the best meals ever! Breakfast is an experience not to be missed. Afternoon tea in the conservatory at around £30 per couple was my only slight moan as this was very overpriced and bore no relation to the cost of other meals on offer.
Our two night stay including meals cost us over £900, so very expensive, but service levels were very high, turndown service at night, plenty of staff on duty in all area's nothing too much trouble, fine china in rooms and in resturants, the highest quality bedlinens etc. at least you can see where your money goes.

We will be visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple