“Excellent hotel on the lake”
Review of Lakeside Hotel

Lakeside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Excellent hotel right on the water with easy access via the lake to Bowness and Ambleside, a bit out of the way otherwise, the room we stayed in had a view over the countryside and was comfortable if a wee but dated, as some other reviews have mentioned the beds are very soft so if you like a firm mattress request a bed board as soon as you arrive, we stayed 4 nights but only managed a sleep on night 3 after requesting the bed board, bars and resturants very good but expensive.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cc1
There are newer reviews for Lakeside Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Relaxing, calm, attentive, amazing views, good and great bedrooms. Food in the main restaurant was absolutely gorgeous with great friendly staff who couldn't do anymore to help. Spa was clean, modern and relaxing. If you want somewhere to stay for a lovely night away then this is definitely the place to come!

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend break at Lakeside with my husband and family my my mother in law's 70th birthday.there were 5 of us, ranging from age 33 to 71 and we booked 3 rooms and had dinner in the brasserie & breakfast.

The hotel is situated as the name suggests, overlooking the stunning scenery and tranquility of lake Windermere, we were fortunate to pick a sunny weekend , so the views were breathtaking.

From the moment we pulled up outside we were met with a warm welcome, our luggage was taken and we had the offer of valet parking (we didn't take them up on this), check in was very straightforward and as were were shown to our room we were very kindly given a guides tour of the hotel, which enabled us to get the most out of the facilities during our short stay.

Our room wasn't a lake view room, but still had beautiful views. And harming period features. We had a four poster bed, tea and coffee facilities, biscuits& water.
There was a flag screen tv in the room, and plenty of storage & hanging space.

I took my own hairdryer, but the one in the room was a "proper" one - there was also a brush, that came complete with hair! Pretty gross! I reckon they should swerve that idea!

The bathroom had both a bath & an amazing shower and had plenty of towels, facecloth's and large bottles of body lotion, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. - which is a massive plus for me, most hotels don't supply conditioner! I had my own but I tried it and it was good stuff!

After checking in and unpacking, we made our way to the terrace for prosecco and beers in the sunshine! The service was great and the rest of the hotel guests seemed to be having an absolute ball! I saw quite a few people order the "feast of cakes" which was basically afternoon tea but purely cakes! (Amazing ) brightly macaroons , and cake pops with popping candy amongst other delights- if I ever return, I'm ordering that!

After a few drinks, we donned our swim suits and bath robes and made our way to the Spa! We didn't have any treatments , but the spa only use Aveda products so I expect they'd be pretty amazing!

The changing facilities were great, hanger cubicles, swimsuit dryers, plenty of towels, hairdryers and private changing areas.

We all did a few laps of the gorgeous pool, then relaxed in the steam room and sauna, before having a dip in the jacuzzi and getting out to get ready for dinner.

Before dinner, we had some drinks in a little snug area and enjoyed some tasty bar snacks whilst being entertained by a live pianist.

We had dinner in the brasserie, which in my opinion looks nice than the restaurant, the food was absolutely gorgeous. I had the halloumi and chocolate mousse but i tried some of the fish & chips and the steak pie looked delicious! Again, great service.

After dinner we retired back to our snug for a few drinks and then it was off to our 4 poster for a good sleep! The bed was small but comfy, the the bedding was clean and soft.

We awoke early on the Sunday and had a walk around the lake to check out the scenery, and then had breakfast, which was served in the restaurant

We were treated to coffee and orange juice, and whilst we waited for our toast to arrive we helped ourselves to croissants from the buffet area (cereals and preserves also available )

The cooked menu was fairly small but I was happy to order eggs Benedict. Some of our party requested a full English, this wasn't on the menu. But was provided anyway of a fashion . Whilst my eggs Benedict was really tasty I must say I was hoping for more of a portion than the one given. It was just half a muffin and 1 poached egg and I was really expecting double that if I am honest! The full English meals were also missing hash brown
And baked beans, perhaps they are not befitting of a 4 star hotel though.

After breakfast we were ready to depart, feeling totally refreshed from a lovely shirt break, check out was the most relaxed check out procedure I've ever experienced! I'm very glad we chose this hotel, and I'd happily stay again :)

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Lakeside met all our requirements----the location could not have been better,right on Lake Windermere and our room overlooked the Lake.
Our room was very well equipped and we were particularly happy with good lighting and an alcove with 2 arm chairs where we could read when it got dark.My husband's only criticism was a lack of a room safe
Public rooms were well furnished and the garden rooms and gardens delightful.

Staff were particularly helpful including sorting out my Kindle in a wi-fi black spot and the managing director,Neville Talbot who came round and chatted to guests at breakfast,devised a touring route for a day,highlighting places of interest and providing the relevant map
Food was delicious with plenty of choice for vegetarians
Moreover the hotel was only a very short walk to the quay where boats went round the Lake,likewise the steam train and the excellent Aquarium --very helpful as I have difficulty in walking Together with a beautiful pool and spa--Lakeside is an excellent and well run hotel

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Lake are a real bonus to one's enjoyment
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank atraveller605
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Fantastic from the moment we called to book for just one night as we were taking little one away for the first time. Unfortunately I was ill on the day we were due and i feared for my £100 deposit. No need to have been concerned - a quick call and a very helpful lady named Charlotte amened the booking to the next day. On arrival in the room there was complimentary drink and milky bar for the toddler and also, a mini dressing gown - very nice touch! The hotel was clean and it's position is second to none. The staff were all very friendly yet professional. Food a little expensive but then the hotel is right on the shore of Lake Windermere. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Demotravels
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Lovely welcome on arrival, spacious rooms, choice of 2 dining options, magnificent breakfast included. You can sit inside or outside and enjoy the exquisite scenery. Very well located to the dock where you can take a variety of lake cruises. The steam train can also be joined here. There is an aquarium and cafe also at the dock area, so something for adults and children as well. Basic gym equipment and an indoor pool and spa facilities. Borness and Ambleside can be reached by boat for a lovely day outing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel excels at all levels: location, staff, food, space, ambience - unbeatable. I stayed here for four days, mainly to attend a Moorcroft event. This is perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed in and the only thing I would fault is the ancient televisions - but I didn't stay for the television! From the hand-made shortbread and charmingly mismatched Haddon Hall china in my room to the fabulous view of the lake to the gorgeous food and the lovely staff, every inch was to be cherished. I would definitely come here again. The location is also superb, with a lake cruise jetty, steam engine station and very good aquarium on the doorstep making some trips an absolute doddle.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are lovely but, with the hotel being on the shores of Lake Windermere, I wou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lakeside Hotel? Share your experiences!