“Honeymoon Heaven”
Review of Lakeside Hotel

Lakeside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I booked this hotel, based on previous reviews, and was not disapointed!. I was married on the 6th of June, and due to personal circumstances my wife and I could only get away for 2 nights so booking this hotel was in essence a short Honeymoon for us. Right from arriving we were impressed by the level of service, the receptionist came out to the car, and helped us with our luggage, and the porter parked my car, and then proceeded to take the luggage to our room. Whilst that was going on we were personally shown round the hotel and up to our room. I had emailed the hotel telling them it was our honeymoon and a bottle of decent champagne and fresh fruit was delivered to our room. I had booked a lakeside view with a jacuuzzi bath. Our Room were spacous, clean and well laid out. A very modern room with an old word theme. The hotel itself is charming, with a victorain feel, but also very modern too. We used the Spa, which to be honest is the best I have seen in any hotel. Mordern ,clean and well laid out. I was particualry impressed with the changing areas. Clean towels are provided, no paper towels, but clean face cloths. Shampoo dispencers in all shower compartments. The pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were excellent very bright and modern. There is also a gym, although I didn't use it it looked to a fairly high standard, if a little small. I work out 4 days a week so I know what I'm talking about!.

We ate in the hotel on the 1st night, as per prevoius reviews it isn't cheap, but to be honest it was worth the money as the food was superb and the service excellent. The General manager came out to our table and introduced herself, and congraduated us on our marraige. Its little touches like that that really makes your stay!
Breakfast was top notch and you have a fair choice, its self service for the uncooked food, plenty of choice. and you get a menu for cooked breakfast. Freshly sqeezed orange juice too! Plenty of toast and tea coffee also.

To sum up an amazing stay which for us was too short. We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday nights so it was quiet with not many children running about as in previous reviews. It is EXPENSIVE, no doubt about it, in my book I was prepared for it, and it was worth it. But it is well worth being aware of from the outset.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed 9 June 2009

Stayed here and had a really nice time, felt really at home sitting in the living room, infront of the fire, reading the papers, listening to the pianist! All very posh!. The pool and steam room/sauna were all great but shame they closed so early! (7pm!). Loved sitting in our room after the pool in the white robes. The food was really expensive but we just ate elsewhere in a pub down the road or had some snacks in the room. Great service, and breakfast was fantastic! Would visit again in a shot! x

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2009

A real gem of a hotel, but a little overpriced. One of the nicest hotel swimming pool I have seen. Shame about the huge car-park at the hotel. It takes away from the otherwise lovely setting. Do not go there at weekends, kids running around noisily up to 2 am. Service was a little patchy, sometimes very efficient, sometimes ...... If the weather improves in the Lake District I will be back! (Not a hope I suppose)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Stayed here for two nights based on this sites reviews and were not disappointed. Right from our greeting from our car. Fast check-in very friendly staff. Rooms very spacious more like a suite. Tea and coffee in the rooms, lovely bathroom and showers. The pillows and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Spa and pool area very serene - although the showers here seem to run hot and cold. The Fine Dining restaurant deserves more than the 2 AA Rosettes. £45 for 6 courses - every mouthful was a delight and the service exceptional. The Bistro was £39 for 3 courses, where the food was all very salty and the service was slow - although they tried their best. For the extra £6 I wouldn't bother with the Bistro - the service and the food is noticeably different by comparison. They could do with a notice on the confirmation and the website that they have a parking service - we spent 10 minutes looking for the car park. There car park is behind the aquarium. The location and views are stunning, but the fact that you can get the Lake Ferries straight from the door of the hotel, go on the old steam train or visit the aquarium without getting in a car - makes the location even more remarkable. This was pure luxury and we enjoyed every minute of it, just wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank poroger
Reviewed 20 April 2009

The sign outside the hotel probably sums everything up. "We overlook nothing but the lake" The service here is exceptional, but pricey. When you arrive, your car is unloaded and parked for you. You are given a tour of the hotel and shown personally to your room.
A short while later, you are contacted from reception to make sure everything is OK.

The hotel is in a fantastic location overlooking the Southern tip of Windermere, and a short walk across the car park brings you to the Windermere leisure cruises which take in Bowness and Ambleside.

The rooms are excellent and well appointed. There are two restaurants, one of which is called the Lakeview and carries two rosettes for really fine dining. We ate in this restaurant, and the dishes and appetisers are top quality. The emphasis is on flavour and quality - not quantity.

The leisure and spa facilities are all included in the rate though treatments are of course charged for.
There is a massive conservatory which overlooks the lake and in which drinks and light snacks are served.
Yes - it's pricey and for most people will be for those special occassions rather than a frequent hotel stay. Tip - Use ebookers for a better rate, particulalry if you only want to stay the one night. When confirmed, the hotel can provide room upgrades if available.
Would we stay again - You bet, but not until we have saved the pennies again - lots of them.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaxonMan
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Relaxing stay, first visit here, but found hotel to be overpriced. We have stayed at hotels with high standards and just as comfortable, but the price is much less for food/accommodation, although probably paying for extra services pool etc. Really prefer something more individual and was not our choice. Good service and friendly staff. Could be noisy in high season as small children running in corridors. Good location and views of the lake, though not from our room.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My wife and I stayed here for our second anniversary a couple of weeks ago. Given that I hadnt been to the Lakes since I was a child and she had never been at all, I found the job of choosing the hotel fiendishly difficult as there was so many establishments of all different types, sizes, etc to choose from.

The Lakeside isnt cheap. However, having said that, I would rather pay extra and have the attention to detail that establishments such as this show. Customer service standards are very very high here, as good as anywhere else we have stayed, all of the staff couldnt be more helpful. Food very good, not cheap, but very very good. Rooms good size, well equipped, comfortable, quiet, overlooking the lake... there was only one thing that we have come to look for automatically in every hotel we stay in which they did not have here and that was an in-room safe. Otherwise, it ticked all the boxes.

We didnt have any spa treatments, but we did make full use of the leisure facilities; very good pool, menthol in the steamroom helps clear the passages!

We both decided on checking out on the Monday morning that we would definately be back. Its well located to be able to explore the lakes and although some of the roads are a little narrow for big cars, theres plenty to do and plenty to see.

Overall a very pleasurable experience and many thanks to all the staff, youve done the hotel proud.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
#12 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Lakeside Hotel? Share your experiences!