“Lovely meal at River Room Restaurant”
Review of Swan Hotel & Spa

Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This relates to the restaurant only, not the hotel. Called in on the way back from the fells the day before, and had a drink and a snack at the bar (which features a real fire and good ales, thought the drinks are pricey). Hot chocolate especially good according to 11yr old son. Thought the food coming past looked good, so decided to return for dinner next day.

Sadly the restaurant part lacks a real fire (is gas imitation) but is a nice room all the same with tables reasonably well spaced. Menu offers a good choice for all the family, but theme is local and seasonal. The haunch of venison (for 2 to share, though would have done 3!) was exceptional.

Can't comment on the hotel really, other than that the residents lounge looked very inviting, as did the spa/swimming pool. Will come back to stay the night when we can.

I gather the hotel was completely refurbished following the 2010 floods, and there has clearly been a lot of money spent on creating a modern family hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a friends wedding in December. It was pretty cold and icy but they appeared to have gritted the bridge and car park which was great! Upon check-in I stated that when I had booked it, I had asked for an early check-in as I was a bridesmaid. They told me it was no problem.......until I arrived and then they said the room I had asked for wasn't ready. I had to go off to the bridal suite to start getting ready and left my partner stuck at reception with all the bags while he tried to sort it out. As a result, they put him in a random room next to the reception for about an hour and a half - then he opened the door to the groom and his wedding party, as apparently that was the room for him to get ready in too! At the time I couldn't be bothered to complain as I was a little pre-occupied!
The room itself was nice but so SO hot - not sure if they tried to over compensate for the cold weather.
Check-out was painfully slow too, with a queue of about 12 people when I was waiting. It could have been because it was busy with so many people, but it was a bit annoying. The hotel itself is decorated really well etc, but I think it is a little overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Although we had a fantastic deal on our room price (we only stayed a few hours to get some sleep after the first leg of our long journey) which anchored our opinion on this fantastic hotel, it's still an excellent hotel particularly if you have children. We had our 19mth old and our room (standard, plenty of space) was waiting for us with toys and offers of free milk and cookies, more toys and books in the library, and an adventure trail. Perfect. Our room (112) was spotless and immaculate. The bathroom was good and there was plenty of space for our family and it was their standard room. The staff were kind and helpful, and the breakfast was AMAZING...perfect way to start the day particularly if you have more driving to do. There is also a pool and spa which we didn't use but it looked pretty good. This is not a 5 star luxury experience. There are one or two minor, minor points (tired windows, faulty bath plug, expensive bottled water) which make no odds when stacked up against the positives. The bed was huge and very comfortable and the location was a perfect 'gateway' experience to the Lake District. If you want to stay a night or more at a good, clean, kind, generous hotel, particularly if you have children, I would highly recommend this hotel & spa.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We visited here for a romantic meal for two. We didn't stay in the hotel, just ate in the River room restaurant. We were booked in for 7pm and arrived to find a quite empty restaurant with many tables available so why we were sat so close to another couple I will never know. It really spoiled the atmosphere as we felt unable to talk to each other and I'm sure the other guests were uncomfortable too. We ordered the sharing platter to start for £15, a hefty amount for a couple of slices of bread, two breadsticks, what I believe was shop bought hoummus, some slices of meat, and some cold mushrooms. It was nice, just not £15, everything cold nice. I then ordered the venison, it was very nice although served with an overpowering jus. My partner ordered the BBQ spatchcock chicken, he found it ridiculously hard to eat without getting bones in his mouth and also not worth the £18 paid for it. We also had a long wait for drinks and had to ask for them twice before recieving them. The dessert menu was limited with choice and so we chose to share a cheese board. Again, it was ok but expensive for the amount recieved and for Jacobs crackers. The restaurant was also really cold and my chair wobbly not making me want to stay and spend money there. All in all we agreed it was overpriced and not up to the standard I was expecting. We really hoped to make an evening of it but were in Blockbuster choosing a dvd by 9. Bit disappointed really after reaing all the rave reviews, if I was to return I woul maybe stay over as I think that must be where they wow their guests.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dansmum1
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked a room for a Friday night to break the trip home after visiting family and to get a day exploring the South Lakes. I stayed with my wife and 5 year old daughter. When we had booked out room we were asked my daughters age. When we arrived some toys (figures) and a magazine had been left on her cot bed. This was a great surprise and really helped her to settle. We were also instructed to call reception when she was going to bed, so that they could bring up milk and a cookie. A really nice touch.
The room was brilliant. nice size, spotless and the decor was amazing. Whoever did the interior design after the floods has done a fantastic job.
The weather was poor when we arrived so we used the pool. My daughter loved it, and despite the small size of the pool, a couple of adults were able to do some lengths as we played. The hotel was fully booked, but most of the guests were there for a wedding, so they seemed to be in a different part of the building to the rest of the guests.
The communal rooms downstairs, near to the bar, are open and really nicely furnished. A couple of rooms have been set aside for children, with a good selection of toys and hundreds of books. Rather than being an afterthought to appeal to families, the rooms are well thought out and we spent quite a while in there. It felt more like a lounge and was a great child friendly area. Again, the decor was cool.
At night, we ate in the bar and the food was amazing. It felt like a real pub (I guess it is!) rather than a hotel. Nice and relaxing with an open fire. Within minutes of sitting down a staff member brought over an activity pack for my daughter. The prices weren't cheap, but certainly not too dear considering the quality and size.
Breakfast was amazing too. Really attentive staff. The man in charge was really friendly and the service and food was brilliant.
Whilst we paid quite a bit for our room, I feel that it was definitely worth every penny. I can't think of a way in which the staff, food or room could have been any better.
The location was great too. I had an early morning run on the back road to Backbarrow and on to Haverthwaite Railway and didn't pass a single car. Lots of footpaths off the road too, so I imagine walkers could wander about for hours.
Had stayed here a couple of times before the floods. We've always enjoyed it, but this time it blew us away.
ps. I am in no way linked to this hotel! ;)

2  Thank StevoLeeds
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We enjoyed the room , my 75 year old mother and 10 year old daughter, all enjoyed the hotel food ambience, swimming pool etc Staff helpful with local knowledge and info on Beatrix Potter attractions.

Room Tip: We had rooms over looking the river, they were good away from the road/bridge.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Had a very relaxing weekend break. We were made most welcome by every staff member during our stay. The food in the bar bistro along with the restaurant was lovely. The decor throughout the hotel, and our room was fabulous.
The Swan is very child friendly and at the same time very adult friendly.
Will deffinately return, and quite confidently recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: There are standard rooms with a river view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newby Bridge
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!