“Lovely”

and 1 more site!
Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great hotel for mums, dads & the kids :-) we felt like we had had a 'grown up' weekend with our little boy who loved it too

1  Thank Kinx

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We went to this bar for food at the end of a lovely week in the Lakes. Children and dogs both welcome. Food very good, if a little pricey~ we chose a sharing platter and were told that it wasn't available as they had run out of sausage rolls! My husband suggested that they just add something extra which they did. Lovely decor. Outside eating areas for when the weather gets better. Very busy so perhaps be a good idea to book.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have visited this hotel several times and always enjoyed our experience, but things have changed. In the past the hotel had 2 restaurants. Downstairs was a brassiere restaurant for families with young children, and upstairs was a more formal dining room where diners could enjoy a more sophisticated experience typical of a 4 star hotel with a rosette.
Now there is only one restaurant which is expensive. Our meal which cost £135 in total was ruined by a large family who took flash photographs of their crying babies all night. When I complained I was told that the hotel was child friendly and there was no policy in place on using flash photography in the restaurant.
The food was quite good but our evening was spoilt. The rest of the hotel was ok but it seems to have lost its direction. In my opinion the management should decide what sort of hotel they want this to be and re-open the other dining room so adults can escape from the kindergarden.

3  Thank phil117
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We didn't stay we just ate in the bar. I have eaten in the river restaurant a few years ago and found the food didn't quite match the place on at occasion so I decided to return to sample the food in the bar this time. Now the deco of this place is simple amazing great hotel sat on the edge of the river with great views. We wasn't really looking for somewhere to eat as we had eaten a massive breakfast but we drove past and I had remembered this place and want to take my partner to show her how nice this place was so we just ordered a meat platter to share which was very nice with pickles fresh bread etc much what you would find on most sharing platter these days. We has a good look round and other peoples food and looks like much of the same as too when I was here last time. But it ticks the boxes! Would love to stay here and see if the rooms match the rest of the public areas!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This relates to the restaurant only, not the hotel. Called in on the way back from the fells the day before, and had a drink and a snack at the bar (which features a real fire and good ales, thought the drinks are pricey). Hot chocolate especially good according to 11yr old son. Thought the food coming past looked good, so decided to return for dinner next day.

Sadly the restaurant part lacks a real fire (is gas imitation) but is a nice room all the same with tables reasonably well spaced. Menu offers a good choice for all the family, but theme is local and seasonal. The haunch of venison (for 2 to share, though would have done 3!) was exceptional.

Can't comment on the hotel really, other than that the residents lounge looked very inviting, as did the spa/swimming pool. Will come back to stay the night when we can.

I gather the hotel was completely refurbished following the 2010 floods, and there has clearly been a lot of money spent on creating a modern family hotel.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a friends wedding in December. It was pretty cold and icy but they appeared to have gritted the bridge and car park which was great! Upon check-in I stated that when I had booked it, I had asked for an early check-in as I was a bridesmaid. They told me it was no problem.......until I arrived and then they said the room I had asked for wasn't ready. I had to go off to the bridal suite to start getting ready and left my partner stuck at reception with all the bags while he tried to sort it out. As a result, they put him in a random room next to the reception for about an hour and a half - then he opened the door to the groom and his wedding party, as apparently that was the room for him to get ready in too! At the time I couldn't be bothered to complain as I was a little pre-occupied!
The room itself was nice but so SO hot - not sure if they tried to over compensate for the cold weather.
Check-out was painfully slow too, with a queue of about 12 people when I was waiting. It could have been because it was busy with so many people, but it was a bit annoying. The hotel itself is decorated really well etc, but I think it is a little overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Although we had a fantastic deal on our room price (we only stayed a few hours to get some sleep after the first leg of our long journey) which anchored our opinion on this fantastic hotel, it's still an excellent hotel particularly if you have children. We had our 19mth old and our room (standard, plenty of space) was waiting for us with toys and offers of free milk and cookies, more toys and books in the library, and an adventure trail. Perfect. Our room (112) was spotless and immaculate. The bathroom was good and there was plenty of space for our family and it was their standard room. The staff were kind and helpful, and the breakfast was AMAZING...perfect way to start the day particularly if you have more driving to do. There is also a pool and spa which we didn't use but it looked pretty good. This is not a 5 star luxury experience. There are one or two minor, minor points (tired windows, faulty bath plug, expensive bottled water) which make no odds when stacked up against the positives. The bed was huge and very comfortable and the location was a perfect 'gateway' experience to the Lake District. If you want to stay a night or more at a good, clean, kind, generous hotel, particularly if you have children, I would highly recommend this hotel & spa.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newby Bridge
#4 of 20 in Windermere
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#7 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!