“The perfect, relaxing break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Swan Hotel & Spa

and 1 more site!
Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Preston, United Kingdom
“The perfect, relaxing break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel. I saw the pictures on the internet and hoped it would live up to expectations - it did and more! The hotel is very stylish, yet you still feel totally comfortable in your walking boots! We had a short break with some friends and within hours we all felt totally chilled. The rooms are clean and comfortable, staff friendly and courteous, and breakfast was a wonderful start to the day. The pool and steam room just right. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel at all, infact we can't wait to book our next stay! Great location too for south lakes in particular, plenty of good walks nearby. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Swan Hotel and Spa for our 15th anniversary for the weekend. Very straight forward to find and in a lovely picturesque location. The hotel is really nicely decorated and our room was plenty big enough. Whilst there the weather was really wet (only to be expected in the Lakes) so we enjoyed time in the hotel. The main restaurant Served beatiful food and the atmosphere was relaxed.

The room was very comfortable and all of the decor top notch. It was very clean and well appointed, with Penhaligons products in the bathroom which was fantastic as I love their scents! Both myself and my husband attended the spa - I had a facial and my husband had a back massage, both of which were wonderful and the staff were very friendly and knowledgable.

We also had room service one night, this was really the only negative. We initially went to the bar but there was a wedding party and the bar was heaving. After trying to find a table we decided to go back to our room and order something as we felt it would be quicker. There was a mix up and the restaurant staff were very busy but that must be the success of the hotel. it was also mother's day weekend which probably added to the numbers.

Breakfast was lovely, tasted very fresh with a good selection. There were also some lovely rooms downstairs for reading and relaxing but due to the size of the hotel these rooms were pretty busy. All in all we had a lovely weekend, we were situated within easy driving distance of Grizedale Forest and enjoyed mooching around the Lakes stopping off at various attractions.

I'd definitely recommend this. I was given espa spa products as a free gift in the room from booking through Mr & Mrs smith website which was a nice little extra :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wirm2000
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I booked a suprise Easter weekend away for my partner and i and i was not disapointed. The Swan Hotel is beautiful, location was perfect and i cannot wait to book our next trip back! The pool is gorgeous, really relaxing, the restaurant was fantastic my only slight criticism was that they didn't have my first choice of Champagne but the one i chose in the end (the house) was very nice.
All the staff were very professional, the service was excellent and the place was very clean. I would reccomend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I have stayed in many large hotels in the Lakes but this has to be the best for style, service, value and taste. I would highly recommend this to both couples or families as it seems to get the balance just right so everyone can enjoy the hotel.

Staff were really friendly from reception to the pool and the bar and lounge areas are fantastic. We thought the price for food and drink were very reasonable and the standard very high.

I love how the hotel has been carefully decorated which is contemporary and tasteful really refreshing. Attention to detail is spot on and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here over easter weekend for 2 nights with our 2 year old daughter - I researched "child friendly luxury hotel in the Lakes" and 4 came up with this hotel coming out with the best reviews so I booked it purely on the reviews. And I was not disappointed.
Here is what I liked - the food in the pub is very good and it has a great atmosphere, and the food at breakfast is great too - but the food in the restaurant was "to die for" and is almost tempting us to dive back there from time to time just for lunch (it is a 90 min drive for us). I warn you, the portions are big! And the kids menu is all fresh and my daughter loved it. I also liked the style of the hotel - chic yet warm - and the lounges with childrens toys and games is a great plus as you can relax while your child plays around you. The staff were all lovely and very interested in our child (and others) - no one ignored her and they all waved as she rode her trike up and down reception. The rooms are a good size but I did find it a bit snug with her cot bed - but we did not stay in for long, as we roamed the hotel when we weren't outdoors. Newby Bridge is pretty much central to all of the Lakes, it took us on average 20-30 mins to get everywhere and there is ample parking at the hotel.
This is what I did not like - we stayed in a deluxe room as we were told this would give us a viewof the garden or lake, but were given a ground floor room which was a little noisy and our view was of the cars parked outside our window. Also the wifi did not work in our room. At times the lounges were a little untidy with dirty glasses/cups from other parents who had been sitting there, but I think it was just very busy the weekend we stayed - on prompting at reception, the areas were quicky tidied up. I have made a few suggestions to the management to make the establishment even more child friendly and if they take that on board this hotel would hit 5marks out of 5.
All in all, I have told all my friends with children about the hotel and I would definitely go back, so I hope you find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Ask not to be placed on the ground floor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We've just returned from a 2 night stay at Swan Hotel and have had a thoroughly relaxing few days.

The location on the river is stunning - even better from our room overlooking it on the 2nd floor which was a bonus! Agree with other tripadvisor comments, it is best to not be on the ground floor as there is constant traffic (of cars and people). I requested a high floor at booking and got one without issue.

The hotel is tastefully decorated. I had 2 spa treatments and they were great - lovely massages with aromatherapy and facial, really relaxing setting with well trained staff.

Very good choices for in room breakfast - very impressive - and delivered on time (for no extra cost).
Lovely, ample choices, in the breakfast room too that we had on the second day.

Cannot comment on lunch/dinner at this hotel as we ate elsewhere. Points to note from our brief look-about, the music played in the bar is rather loud, the place was full too so unable to find a "quiet spot" and the prices were on the expensive side - hence why we ate whilst out exploring.

One key thing to note is how thin the walls are upstairs - you hear everything, from the corridors to the TVs in the next room. Not ideal, especially the loud group of revellers going to bed ~ 1am Friday night, but I imagine this is typical and consistent to how the building is made. Unfortunately for us we were housed very close to the hot water tank too which made a bit of noise, especially in the morning.

That said it was a perfect weekend and had nice touches like complimentary water in the room, lovely bath products and robes, and being allowed to check out 1 hour after the schedule check out time at no cost. I absolutely loved the massages I had so it was a great pampering experience.

Thanks again

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

The situation of this hotel is idyllic beside the river. On the day we arrived we were able to sit out on the riverbank with a drink.
The staff were friendly and efficient. On the Friday evening the restaurant and bar area was extremely busy yet the food was excellent in quality and served promptly.
Our room was at the rear of the hotel but had a lovely outlook over to the hills. It was clean and a good size and the bed was very comfortable.
Food and drink I felt were priced reasonably for a hotel of this quality. An 8oz sirloin cost around £17, a pint of beer £3.10 and a large glass of wine around £7.
This is a very family friendly hotel. We had a 3 and 6 year old in our party and they thoroughly enjoyed the facilities, childrens indoor play area, swimming pool, adventure playground and nature trail.
Although this is a family hotel it will not deter me from visiting as a couple as there are a number of small rooms off reception area with seating for a little peace and quiet.
For those wishing to do some exploring by car the hotel is well located.
I hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Suggest preferable to have rooms on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!