“Lakes break”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Lakes break”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I took a few nights at the swan. Our room was great and well equipped. The staff were very friendly through out the hotel, spa, bar and restaurant. The food I though was great value and the setting was just amazing! We will defiantly be booking in again.

We did visit mid week but was not too quiet the bar and restaurant still had atmosphere. I read some reviews about it being packed. I can imagine as it is a great spot but there is plenty of room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My wife and I went to the swan hotel hoping for a relaxing night at a spa hotel. Perhaps we were a bit naive to think the that first week of the Easter holiday would be romantic but it definately wasn't. The swimming pool in the spa was basically a children's pool complete with floats that they could play with. The food in the restaurant was basically very expensive pub food and was OK but nothing special. Our first bottle of wine took 20 minutes to arrive and was corked whjen it did finally arrive. They suggested another - more expensive - bottle for us and then proceeded to charge us for the more expensive bottle without warning us. The staff were mainly young teenagers who were more interested in chatting to each other then serving us - it was a similar story for the breakfast (my wife's salmon and scrambled eggs was particulaly unpleasant). When we went back to our room we ordered a film but it was too jerky to watch and when we finally got into bed the sheets were crinkled and slightly damp - as if they had been put on when still wet. To be fair they did not charge us for the film and gave us back the price we paid to upgrade the facilities in the room.
All in all not the romantic getaway we had hoped for maybe it would have been better when it was not so busy.
Simon

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Broadway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

the rooms are comfy and well laid out and generally the hotel is pretty good. shower and bath mixer was sadly falling apart, could not close the plughole in bath. nice bar and breakfast. we had a function there and the food was ok-ish but not top. the interior design is "interesting", lots and lots of swirly floral wallpaper. however, for cumbria, definitely above average. nice and friendly reception staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank onpiste
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My partner and I stayed her for 1 night as a birthday treat. He requested a river view room and we were not disappointed. The room was spacious, very clean and very comfortable, perfect. Bathrobes and slippers were provided along with tea/coffee facilities, free wifi, luxury toiletries etc. The staff even left me small box of choccies as a birthday treat.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

I had a luxury spa treatment (at extra cost) and made use of the swimming pool and sauna which were included in the price if you were staying at the hotel.

The Swan Inn bar served excellent food and is very comfortable with a lovely atmosphere. Not a huge choice of food but the menu suits every taste and the service was very good.

My partner had booked a table for evening dinner in the River Room restaurant but unfortunately this was disappointing. We waited over an hour for our food when the meal came my meal wasn't very good. We sat from 8pm until 9.30 and nobody asked if we wanted a drink! I spoke with our waitress, who was very friendly, and the cost of my meal was waivered without any question. My partners meal was lovely.

I would highly recommend the Swan Hotel and Spa for a treat or break.

Room Tip: Room 313 is a river view room and recommended
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lytham St Annes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with a friend for spa. The rooms, service, restaurant and spa are perfect. You find cosy little corners everywhere. check the seats next to the fire place in the evening. The views across the river and bridge are stunning and the place is perfect to start off for hikes in the lakes. The massage was one of the best ever. Absoluely recommend! Perfect place for a relaxing week end.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julia S
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel ticked all the boxes for our mini-moon lin September. The staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant and bar are excellent (the cocktails are particularly good!), the room was clean and modern and and the hotel in general is beautifully decorated with a really relaxing, but luxurious feel.

I highly recommend this hotel for couples, friends or families. It gives and extra special lift when holidaying in this beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

If I was a hotel I would be The Swan. I loved staying here. We checked out, went to our next hotel and were so disappointed with it after The Swan, we checked out & then checked back in to The Swan. And we then stayed for an extra night!
Love the staff, love the decor, love the food, love the spa. No pretence, no stuffy rules - a really laid-back vibe. Amazing breakfasts, wonderful evening meals, helpful but not over-bearing staff, lovely uniforms, comfy beds, good linen, fluffy towels, amazing wallpaper and fireplaces.
Loved it all.
And I never write reviews.
Bravo Swan: I love you.

Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!