“Not Blown Away”
Review of Swan Hotel & Spa

Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 8 June 2014

After several of my friends had recommended The Swan to us, we had high hopes when we went for dinner in April 2014. Such a shame - we had wanted to sit in the restaurant, only to be told that they were fully booked and without a reservation, they could not seat us, but advised the same menu is available in the bar. The staff didn't seem very interested and appeared to be students. I would like to add, the restaurant at this point was empty. As in NOT ONE person there. We ate in the bar and the food was nice and a reasonable price, but I wasn't blown away. As we left, the restaurant had a single table of four seated. We were disappointed and wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CarolineJ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stopped for tea! The Swan has extended the riveredge terrace with a pink and white theme. The weather had brightened and we were lucky to find a table. Quite a continental atmosphere as we all wanted to linger in the sunshine in this delightful spot.

Room Tip: We only had tea on the terrace
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simone N
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Just come back from nice lunch I had with my friend in Swan Hotel.. Bar area is really stylish, food delicious and very good value for money...Lounge area is quiet and spacious- ideal for private conversation with a cup of tea.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Swan was highly recommended....and sadly disappointing :-(

We were keen to try this place and fitted it in during a helicopter flight.
(The staff were exceptionally helpful and arranging the Heli landing was just one phone call. The landing site is very user friendly and is strictly 1 Heli at a time. Wind sock available. Size 30m x40m approx)

On first appearance the hotel is quite stunning. The spa is apparently very highly recommended, although when we tried to book they were full....3month lead time for weekend bookings! However they did recommend the Armathwaite Hall in Bassenthwaite which was SUPERB!!

So the reason for us going there.....steak! We like steak! I wouldn't say I was an expert but I know a good steak v a bad steak

We ordered the chateaubriand and I have to say it was rubbish! Very disappointed! It was more akin to a rubber doggy chew!

I will definitely return there for use of the bar and restaurant but there are better hotels to visit

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helimedic
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and perfect for our friends wedding. The hotel overlooks a river and at the back there are delightful gardens, so whatever room you are allocated you will have a pleasant view. The room was lovely and had all we needed.
We sadly didn't have time to use the spa but from what we saw it was clean and inviting.
The breakfast was excellent and whilst we didn't eat in the actual restaurant we did attend a wedding catered by the hotel and the food was delicious, so I would imagine the restaurant is equally good.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Whilst the back of the hotel has nice gardens the front rooms overlook the river and I would imagine...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I offer a warning to all diners not, NOT to order the BBQ Beef Rib for a main course. Tonight, on my first visit to this hotel restaurant I was extremely disappointed by this dish. It was served on a large skinned rib only to make it look bigger. The beef was sandwiched between two layers of fat and the beef, tender as it was, required my whole attention to find it.
A considerate poor dish, which was very spicy and rather disappointing.

Out of four meals served, 50% were disappointing. When we informed the waitress, our comments fell on stony ground and were ignored.

Oh, we only had main courses so we weren't offered bread rolls. Couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Keep to the half chicken, but they had ran out of that meal by 7:45 p.m.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank 50john
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Driving by this hotal you are drawn to it and its lovely location.
Unfortunately we only stopped to eat; excellent menu and special board which provides wonderful choice and locally sourced products.
Looking inside at the decor and spa I would say this is a place I could happily stay; it had a feel, a vibe and I hope to bring more clarity and knowledge once that event comes to pass.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newby Bridge
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!