“Fantastic hotel for exploring the lakes”
Review of Swan Hotel & Spa

Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel for exploring the lakes”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed in the riverside Beatrix Suite. The room was beautiful and well laid out, there was a dolls house in the room for my eight year old daughter and a psp for my 11 year old son. The service and food were both exceptional and the kids loved calling room service at night to get their complementary hot milk and cookies. The hotel is in a great location for exploring both sides of Lake Windermere.

Room Tip: If travelling with children consider paying extra for a river view suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marion_McGiven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed on the17 July for a special treat for my wife and I.
Reception check in was excellent and very friendly, thank you, also well done to the new receptionist who was training.

We had room 105 this was perfect and of a very high standard of housekeeping and decor,
the bathrooms very modern, the queen size bed perfect.
View from the room was of the patio area and river, again wonderful.
Mid afternoon we used the spa,excellent!

Booked a table in the restaurant for 8.15 .the chef needs to inform the waiting on team once dishes have run out, having studied the menu for 15 minutes and seeking advise from my wife on choice ,only to be informed at point of ordering that the kitchen had run out of that item ( you then have to choose a new dish on the spur of the moment) this happened on 3 occasions.

The bar and lounge areas are very pleasant and relaxing and good service offered

Breakfast was of good choice and service

Excellent Hotel to be based at for the lakes or to relax in a very well managed friendly setting

2 Thank stevemc2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 17 July 2014

dont know were to start, food was bland and overpriced for what it was, my wife got served the wrong meal she asked for salad and it came with veg they took the plate scaped the veg off replaced it with salad and returned it? She then asked for condiments to which we are still waiting.
When we complained and asked about this we were met with well.....
And are still awaiting to see the Manager who would not front up to explain this or the actions of his/her staff....
Keep well away.... It looks like they serve you with the feeling they can do what they want as they will never see you again as most likely you are on Holiday.

Sean W

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank woffy68
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a mini suite for our 40th wedding anniversary. The room was excellent with all the facilities we would have wanted. It was a very busy weekend but the bar food arrived promptly despite that. Later for dinner, we had to chase a couple of things up but the service was very good and any issues were well explained (mostly to do with running out of some options due to the very heavy day they had).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We called here a few days ago as the setting is beautiful and found a table outside overlooking the river. I went in to order drinks and picked up a menu whilst my husband stayed outside with our three dogs.. I didnt get so much as a hello or welcome from the man behind the bar. I ordered my husband a pint of bitter and asked for a Bulmers pear cider. Barman proceeded to fill a glass with ice without asking me. I advised i would prefer not to have ice (as i assumed the ice was for me) so he just threw the ice back in his bucket without a word. We then ordered some food and my husband had the same miserable experience from the same man. I ordered Halloumi popcorn and sweet potato chips as I usually love halloumi and my husband ordered fish and chips. My choice was a mistake as I received small squares of halloumi that had been fried in a salty spicy sauce (when halloumi is salty enough already) and i couldn't eat it it was so bad. I didnt bother to complain as i guessed what reception i would receive from the barman... my husbands fish and chips were OK. Overall, such a shame as the setting was stunning the property looks lovely inside and out, but the service was awful and the food mediocre.

Room Tip: I am guessing that the rooms over the river have a lovely view, and would avoid those that overlook...
2 Thank Sue B
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We ate at the Swan as we stayed at a nearby B&B. We didn't book so the restaurant was full but the bar served the same food.
There wasn't a huge choice for main meals but the food was very good and very generous portions.
Overall the food was very nice it's just the bar lacked a little cosy / warmth feeling so wasn't somewhere we felt like staying for the rest of the evening.

1 Thank KPKelogs
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel three times now. It's a lovely hotel. If you like floral prints you'll be in your element.

The rooms are very comfortable. Bathrooms great, beautiful fittings.
If I had to be picky the mattresses are way to soft for me, but that's a personal preference for a medium/firm mattress. And the bedroom furniture (dressing table/bedside tables etc) perhaps should be updated to match the decor better. But overall, very comfortable. Even the regular rooms are spacious. Request a room looking out onto the river.

Breakfast though was much improved compared with our last visit in 2012. No more self service toast and a bigger choice of cooked breakfasts (particularly if you like eggs). Nice to see that pancakes are still an option though! Breakfast room service much better than the bar.

But it's the restaurant/bar which I don't enjoy. The food is unforgivably overpriced. And not that special. The service is not good enough either. We had to ask three times for our table to be wiped. Is it not normal to wipe table after previous diners have vacated? And the gap between the first two diners in our party getting served and then the third and fourth was just a sign of poor communication between the kitchen and the waiting on staff. That really shouldn't be happening at a place that presents itself as The Swan does. Their prices show where they see their position in the market, but their service doesn't reflect that position.

We've also eaten at the Black Swan in Lower Withington three times and I'm really sorry to say we won't be going back. Exactly the same, very much on the expensive side (for what it is) with poor service and forgettable food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!