“A joke”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
A TripAdvisor Member
“A joke”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Food terrible, staff and service terrible. You will be disappointed. Only reason why they do well is purely on there location on the stunning river. Que was huge had plenty of staff who all moved at snail pace manager was yawning and disinterested. Girl in front of me asked for a bottle of sparkling water he proceeded in slowly walking and yawning up and down the bar then produced a bottle. When my turn finally came I asked him where are food was as we had been waiting near 2 hours and had a starving five year old. The food massively over priced for what it was turned up dry and over cooked. However presentation was nice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

After an amazing weekend here two years ago, my partner and I returned for a special occasion. Again the hotel was very good and the rooms are a great standard (though we had a deluxe room and I'm not sure what the difference was to a standard room).

The low score is due to the restaurant and staff. On Friday we ate in the bar which was busy but good quality and enjoyable. On the Saturday we'd planned a special meal in the restaurant. We were disappointed by the menu choice, which was the same as the night before at the bar and not much choice at all! Waited 20 minutes without even being asked what drinks we wanted. The ambiance was incredibly hot, noisy and the small room to the right was filled with screaming children left unaccompanied. When someone did take our order eventually the Specials were sold out, the waitress was very unhelpful and left us alone to decide what else we wanted. Turns out our other choices were sold out and in the end after a 40 minute wait with nothing to drink and nothing we wanted available on the menu we walked out.

Breakfast the next morning was incredibly salty, so much so it was inedible. On check out the lady on reception asked us if we had a nice stay which of course we did not. After telling her what happened she encouraged us to complete a feedback form stating we would hear from the owners.... But to date we've not heard anything.

Overall the hotel is in a beautiful location and the rooms are very nice. The restaurant and bar staff totally let the place down and for an expensive hotel this isn't really acceptable. It's a real shame as was so perfect 2 years ago. Wouldn't return. Waste of money and although we made the best of it the treatment we received in the restaurant pretty much ruined the weekend.

Stayed April 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed in the riverside Beatrix Suite. The room was beautiful and well laid out, there was a dolls house in the room for my eight year old daughter and a psp for my 11 year old son. The service and food were both exceptional and the kids loved calling room service at night to get their complementary hot milk and cookies. The hotel is in a great location for exploring both sides of Lake Windermere.

Room Tip: If travelling with children consider paying extra for a river view suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marion_McGiven
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed on the17 July for a special treat for my wife and I.
Reception check in was excellent and very friendly, thank you, also well done to the new receptionist who was training.

We had room 105 this was perfect and of a very high standard of housekeeping and decor,
the bathrooms very modern, the queen size bed perfect.
View from the room was of the patio area and river, again wonderful.
Mid afternoon we used the spa,excellent!

Booked a table in the restaurant for 8.15 .the chef needs to inform the waiting on team once dishes have run out, having studied the menu for 15 minutes and seeking advise from my wife on choice ,only to be informed at point of ordering that the kitchen had run out of that item ( you then have to choose a new dish on the spur of the moment) this happened on 3 occasions.

The bar and lounge areas are very pleasant and relaxing and good service offered

Breakfast was of good choice and service

Excellent Hotel to be based at for the lakes or to relax in a very well managed friendly setting

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stevemc2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 17 July 2014

dont know were to start, food was bland and overpriced for what it was, my wife got served the wrong meal she asked for salad and it came with veg they took the plate scaped the veg off replaced it with salad and returned it? She then asked for condiments to which we are still waiting.
When we complained and asked about this we were met with well.....
And are still awaiting to see the Manager who would not front up to explain this or the actions of his/her staff....
Keep well away.... It looks like they serve you with the feeling they can do what they want as they will never see you again as most likely you are on Holiday.

Sean W

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank woffy68
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a mini suite for our 40th wedding anniversary. The room was excellent with all the facilities we would have wanted. It was a very busy weekend but the bar food arrived promptly despite that. Later for dinner, we had to chase a couple of things up but the service was very good and any issues were well explained (mostly to do with running out of some options due to the very heavy day they had).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We called here a few days ago as the setting is beautiful and found a table outside overlooking the river. I went in to order drinks and picked up a menu whilst my husband stayed outside with our three dogs.. I didnt get so much as a hello or welcome from the man behind the bar. I ordered my husband a pint of bitter and asked for a Bulmers pear cider. Barman proceeded to fill a glass with ice without asking me. I advised i would prefer not to have ice (as i assumed the ice was for me) so he just threw the ice back in his bucket without a word. We then ordered some food and my husband had the same miserable experience from the same man. I ordered Halloumi popcorn and sweet potato chips as I usually love halloumi and my husband ordered fish and chips. My choice was a mistake as I received small squares of halloumi that had been fried in a salty spicy sauce (when halloumi is salty enough already) and i couldn't eat it it was so bad. I didnt bother to complain as i guessed what reception i would receive from the barman... my husbands fish and chips were OK. Overall, such a shame as the setting was stunning the property looks lovely inside and out, but the service was awful and the food mediocre.

Room Tip: I am guessing that the rooms over the river have a lovely view, and would avoid those that overlook...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!