“Underwhelmed”

and 1 more site!
Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to the Lakes for a long time and this place used to have a superb reputation but things have sadly slipped.

We visited whilst staying locally and found the service to be very patchy.

Some staff were lovely and helpful but some were very jobs worth and would be better suited to working for the local council.

We ordered coffees but after waiting 10 mins gave up and got a refund. It wasn't a busy time and there were plenty of staff around but no one really cared.

The spa staff were quite rude and talked down to us so we didn't bother booking any spa treatments for me and my daughter and went elsewhere instead.

The thing is, it doesn't cost the hotel anything extra to have polite, friendly and efficient staff so I just don't understand why the management have let things slide so much.

The hotel itself is in a gorgeous spot and is well presented inside and out but for me it's the people who are letting the place down.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Sallycinnamon1974

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and 4 friends have just stayed overnight here on a spa and stay offer.
We arrived and were checked in by the friendly reception staff who also provided us with our lunch vouchers.
The rooms are gorgeous, no bland magnolia, different wallpapers make each room interesting and individual. Really spacious and fully equipped with everything you'll need.
We then had a glass of sparkling wine and chose our lunch (up to the value of £12) the sandwiches were very generous and the fillings seemed homemade rather than packaged and we were full after them!
We then went up to the spa where we had an hours treatment each, I can not recommend enough the Swedish massage and all the staff in the spa are really lovely we felt so relaxed in there!
We then made use of the hots facilities, the gym is well equipped for a workout and then there's a pool, jacuzzi and sauna to relax in. It was quite busy up until about 6 o'clock but then it is the summer holidays so that's to be expected.
We decided to eat in the bar again for tea after enjoying the lunch and we were not wrong to do so the food really is delicious.
Bedrooms are comfy and our rooms looked out on to the river and we had out window open all night and weren't disturbed at all.
Breakfast was lovely again there was fresh fruit, cereal, mini pastries, yoghurt, fruit juices and a cooked section aswell.
Overall I have to say this is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in, the staff throughout the hotel are friendly and helpful and I can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Unfortunately, we did not stay at the hotel but we did visit the Spa for one of their packages which included two treatments, a glass of champagne and light lunch. It was a birthday treat for me and my friend, and we both left feeling totally relaxed. I am a regular spa goer and I have to say that the ESPA facial (by Mel) was the best facial I've ever had! Regrettably, by the time we felt like having a swim, the pool was very busy....it was a Saturday and the hotel had a lot of families staying. Next time we visit...and we hope there will be a next time...we will swim in the morning. There was a wedding going on but it did not detract from the peace and quiet of the spa. The lunch was great value (as was the Spa package). I can recommend this property for anyone visiting the southern Lakes and in need of a relaxing few hours....

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank zillion50
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We came to the swan on the 14th August. When we were staying in a double room which had 2 double beds. When we arrived there were 2 magazines layers out on the bed with a baby toy. This was really exciting!!! We went out a bit to windermere on a cruise ship before going to the Beatrix potter attraction which I recommend going on bank holidays as you get to actually meet Peter rabbit nevertheless it was good all the same. Pool is brilliant and the the food is ok but don't order the chocolate fudge cake ( including if you are ordering it on the children's menu) it is way to much and too melted!! Don't get it only if u are prepared!! The adventure playground is cool and is really fun for children!!!

Overall it was a nice stay and I recommend it too everyone looking for a nice break in the country!!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Hanahappy
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Went into the swan yesterday afternoon and there seemed to be a lack care and attention so many staff but no customer focus to busy chatting by coffee area seemed all young kids and no one in charge of them,not like on previous visits where has its personal service gone!!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Andy7003
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked this as a special treat for my sister who has cancer and about to have chemo, also as it was my daughters birthday I would treat them both, I booked them both spa treatments however as there was only two available myself and my daughters friend just paid for the pool. Before we all parted we ordered coffee's to be brought outside as it was a lovely day so we could have a nice chat, however we waited that long my sister and daughter had to leave and go for their treatments, myselt and friend went to the bar to ask where are coffee's where, the lady said she was sorry but the coffee machine was our of order so instead of getting are special coffee's we had to settle for filter coffee for the same price. We proceeded to the pool which we where charged £7 each we where informed we had to pay extra for towells and robes, concidering I had just paid £110 for treatments thought this outragious. An hour later my sister and daughter joined us in the pool, I asked if they had enjoyed it and they said yes until they came down to the pool where my sister and daughter where also told they would have to pay extra for a towel they did not mind so paid it, however as my sister sho has had bowel surgery she asked for a robe for obvious reasons so the assistand said yes I understand I will get you one then to my sisters astonishment was asked to pay for it.most spa's we have been to recently provide towels and robes as standard, This is reason for classing this more of a hotel than a Spa, we have compared it to other Spa's we have stayed usually they make people feel special and make the day relaxed and enjoyable, we felt the staff at the swan did not deliver the spa experience enough to make you want to go back. One last point we decided to try and just forget it and make the most of the day by ordering some lunch, my sister asked for her white bread as she can't eat any other type, the sandwich eventually came on full brown wholemeal seeded bread, this had to go back and by the time a replacement came we had all eaten. So all in all not such a special day after all I felt I had wasted my money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jackie p
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at the swan inn.

Greeted by very friendly reception staff and lovely clean room. We were happy to stay in the hotel for our whole stay except for one walk provided by the reception.

The pub style restaurant is beautiful with amazing staff and relaxed feel. We loved that you can sit and eat looking over the river. It's not over priced for what you get- Similar to London prices

We booked the river room for our meal on the second night which is the same menu but felt more like fine dining. Yet again brilliant service and attention to detail.

The spa facilities and staff were incredible. By far the best 2 hour treatment I have ever had with a gorgeous relaxation room looking over the river.

The one thing was getting a cab from the station. We called 2 hours in advance of arriving at grange over sands and couldn't find one cab company available. The hotel sorted this but next time I would book that well in advance.

Note that there's not a lot around newby bridge to get to by foot. If we had another day there's a steam train a 5 minute walk away that takes you to bowness. There's also a free bus taking you to sights around the area but only runs in peak holiday times. Next time I would plan walks in advance and consider taking a car.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#4 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!