“Beware, this hotel will cost more than its worth and deliver less than it promises” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swan Hotel & Spa

Swan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Jed
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

to summarise:
Poor service, dirty linen ( duvet cover was dirty on arrival and not changed for second night)
Hospitality tray stocked with poor quality fare
Wardrobe door off runner and could only close with difficulty
Cleanliness of bathroom poor and fitting are worn, the bed also sagged.
Meals average quality but above average prices. Breakfasts were average and evening meals were poor.
High cost and low service delivery, this hotel flatters to deceive and does not deliver on the basics but charges premium rates.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Having enjoyed a meal with friends in this hotel a few years ago, my husband and I decided to go back and stay there to celebrate my birthday and we certainly weren't disappointed. The hotel is stylish, cosy and we found that the staff couldn't do enough to help us. We enjoyed two very good meals in the RIver Room restaurant and also felt that the breakfasts were excellent, with a wide selection of hot food available. In terms of leisure facilities, I had an aromatherapy massage in the Spa and really enjoyed it. You tend to only find ESPA spas in decent hotels and the attention to detail in this one is exactly what you would expect. We also enjoyed the pool (with steam room, sauna and jacuzzi) and, like all the public areas, it was clean and well-presented. The gym looked well-equipped but I'm afraid that I didn't quite make it there! If I had to be critical about anything I would say that the room, although spacious and comfortable, was a bit dated and in need of upgrading. I would also agree with previous comments that the electric fans are fine for the colder months but I wouldn't like to stay there in summer without air-conditioning. Having said that, we passed a few rooms which looked like they were being upgraded so perhaps a room refurbishment programme is underway. In summary we would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to go back for short breaks in the future. We felt it was good value at £200 for 2 nights but probably wouldn't want to pay much more than that so are likely to visit out with peak season (also avoiding the crowds of tourists!).

cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have just returned from my 3rd stay at the swan and as per my previous visits it was absolutely perfect. I am beginning to wonder wether the negative reviews are in fact some sort of sabotage from the swans competitors after all the recision surely does bring out the dirty tricks of this world. Ok so these are the good points. Firstly we stayed in a room called the Potter suite we have 2 children so this worked brilliantly. The room had an interconnecting room for the kids which allowed us to simply close the door. We paid £2.50 to watch Harry Potter 6 whilst the kids watched Bolt on there own LCD Tv. The tvs are stylish and the film prices do not take the mickey like other hotels ive stayed at. £2.50 for a film which is still at the cinema is just a steal and it made our night really chilled.

The decor was beautiful and tasteful. I felt it was clear that the hotel is continuing its renovation program, on each visit there are little extra touches which make the hotel feel loved. I loved the sofa and cushions in reception which again reflect the tasteful feel of the whole place. The bedroom was spotless and the bathroom appeared brand new there was not a spec of dust. We ate in the pub on the sunday night which was great. The chips were hand cut and certainly not chips in a bag standard. We had a cheese platter and a burger all cooked beautifully. On the Monday we ate in the restaurant and i had the lamb off the specials, my husband had the chicken both of which were lovely. The best part of the meal apart from the amazing wine was the desert. We had some crazy apple platter which reminded me of my childhood. It had some popping candy as a type of garnish and it had me in stitches. During the day we went swimming in an almost empty pool. The pool was lovely and warm and the towels were white and fluffy. So far everything is just perfect. I checked into the spa for a treatment and was given one of the best facials i have ever had. The products being Espa are undoubtedly in my view the best. We went for a walk on the nature trail which the kids loved and watched the steam train going by it was a great afternoon, very chilled and best of all no need to go in the car. The sunday night was capped of by sitting in the garden area watching a hot air balloon taking of. The kids loved it. The staff were very helpful and considerate especially the restaurant staff and the duty manager was always around. Breakfast was lovely, no queue for the toaster unlike my experience at the Burj al arab the supposed 7 star hotel in Dubai which also had a toaster so i take no issue with the swan offering an 8 slice Dualit. The coffee was lovely as was the milk and cookies the kids got at night for free. I can promise you that nothing is free at Center parcs and this hotel couldnt be further from that experience. The hotel is clearly suitable for a certain market, Im mid thirties and i have taste and very high standards. This hotel is my ideal, not to expensive, very stylish and I'm delighted at the fact it may have been done by an interior designer after all the fish wallpaper in the pool area adds to the feeling I'm staying somewhere special. As i was leaving the hotel i noticed the builders in a suite room i had previously stayed in and they were retiling the bathrooms. I found this odd as the last time id stayed it had already been updated with a new floor, this hotel is clearly striving to better itself which is unlike Cowley manor which whilst i love looks a little bit more ragged every time i visit. All in all thanks to everyone it was perfect as always and i would recommend it to everyone who has taste.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

This may have been an old coaching inn when my father visited in the 1960s,but it has now been totally stripped and transformed into a standard chain type hotel-an interior designer has run rampant with jarring colours in the latest bedrooms,and bizarre uncomfortable dining room furniture.The only feature left of the old Swan Inn is the one which would be of great practical value to have changed-the very low headroom in the bar and bar dining areas.Indeed,this has been made worse by new woodwork and floor surfaces.
Additionally to being an unpleasant environment,the bar food is of the most basic chips in a basket variety.I had looked forward to the Roland Room menu from my visit in 2008,but this restaurant has been closed.The River Room menu is mostly Italian and not to my taste,so that I ate dinner across the road ath the Newby Bridge Hotel.
Breakfast is served in the Roland Room,which would have been a pleasant relaxing experience were it not for the bawling of large numbers of infants and the queue for the single self-service toaster.
We moved rooms owing to the hotel being almost full at the time of our late booking.The first was a "superior" room (16) in the old part of the building facing the river.This was very small and had no usable easy chair.The interior designer had left a little whimsy in the form of an upholstered half-eggcup on a swivel-suitable only to be photographed in a magazine,not to sit on.The bed was too soft,too short,and too wide for the room.Only a duvet was provided,no other bedding.This was not appropriate for the high temperatures present throughout the hotel,even with a maximum outside temperature not getting above 15.Initaily the room was badly ventilated until I fetched tools from my car to remove the anti-burglar (second floor!) restrictors which prevented the sash window from opening properly.Ther is,however ,an air conditioner.
The dreaded designer had made a very nice looking bathroom but not so practical-the bath would be impossible for some people to get out of,the basin is tiny and usable only for a cursory finger wash,and the extractor fan(no window) makes noise but moves no air-it would not even hold a piece of paper against its grille.
The "standard" room (112) was much larger and had usable furniture but with the same soft bed and ridiculous duvet-this one only large enough to reach down to my ankles.The room was just as hot ,but in this case there was no air-con(but a fan) and the windows(all those facing the garden are like this) only had small top-hung opening casements.The path immediately outside this ground floor room was used as a childrens` play area.
The prominent feature of both rooms was the GIANT WIDESCREEN TV,which is set up to favour an immediate surcharge for access to other channels or internet.There are other signs of a wish to maximise the bill,such as a room service manu without prices.The hotel charges a"deposit" of £50 when checking in to cover "extras".
Both rooms were spotlessly clean.The public areas were clean apart from finding beer classes left on corridor floors on three days.The main stairs had an unpleasant odour in 2008,which I then thought was the new carpet-it was not.
The hotel is expensive for the degree of actual comfort provided-perhaps this reflects a subsidy of the swimming pool and spa facilities.It is not suitable for a Lake district walking holiday-the location is too remotefrom the fells,there is NO distant view,and the pandemonium of children is stressful to non- parents.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

We stayed overnight in early January and were pleasantly surprised by the cosy rooms, good restaurant and friendly bar.

It was busy when we arrived because of a wedding reception but unlike many hotels the festivities didn't spill over into the residential sections and was pleasantly self contained and unobtrusive for the non-nuptial guests.

We ate well in the Restaurant and felt the prices were reasonable - good for the standard but maybe a little higher than other local eateries. I also recall the wine was good value.

Our room was a standard (they also offer deluxe) but well kitted out, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The heating was adequate and easy to control and gave a warm cosy feel as it was bitter cold outside. No problems with noise either internal or external and the newish bed guaranteed a good night's sleep.

As a footnote we subsequently tried to stay there again over a Bank Holiday weekend later in the year only to discover they operate a minimum two night policy which was disappointing for us and a warning to others.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Lancashire England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

In spite of phoning twice they refused to take reservations for the restaurant unless for a large party booking even though we were staying at the hotel. 'We operate a first come first served policy in the restaurant' quote the receptionist. Reminding me of special offers at supermarkets! So we were expected to just turn up and queue till a table was available. Not the best start to the evening and we were not the only residents complaining about the dreadful service. The chef's signature dish of rarebreed pork chop was dreadful...fatty and tiny chop, very thin, sent it back the replacement was little better. Cooked breakfast fatty and disgusting but the fruit was very nice. Very over priced especially for such poor quality. Is this hotel living on a past reputation? WIFI didn't work, Ladies loo out of order. Room was nice. Lovely setting.

1 Thank 50something54
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

Having read previous comments we almost cancelled a booking to this hotel and rang the hotel to discuss our concerns. The staff were most helpful and explained the rolling program of refurbishment they are currently undergiong. We stayed in a newly refurbished family suite (the Potter Suite) which was just perfect - contemporary, clean, all mod cons, toys for the children, the works. Whilst there we had a look at the suites that are yet to be refurbished and whilst not quite as contemporary as the refurbished suites there really is nothing wrong with them - very clean and nice. The hotel is everything you would expect from a boutique hotel and I would urge anyone not to cancel on the basis of reviews on this site - I'm glad we didn't!
This is the perfect hotel for families that don't want to compromise on style and luxury.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#19 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!