“Great stay and wonderful anniversary”

Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great stay and wonderful anniversary”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We've stayed here for three nights and it was a great stay overall. From the room was spacious, clean and had a great view. The gym was excellently furnished (all you need to do your workouts) and the swimming pool and spa facilities top class.
We stayed for our anniversary and my wife's birthday. We enjoyed every bit of it.
Especially when I asked the manager Pete and the receptionist Robyn to prepare a midnight surprise for my wife's birthday. They collaborated excellently and helped me a lot to make it a special occasion for my wife.

So completely happy and will return again! Love the view from the Bar to the river!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iucle
pickle2014, Guest Relations Manager at Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to share the experience you had with us on the TA forum and for the great 5 star review. We welcome your comments and are pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be passed on to the staff too.
As a thankyou gesture and in the hope we will see you again, if you wish to visit us again, call the hotel direct and quote your TA pseudonym to receive a 15% discount off best advertised rate.

The Team at WW Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
glasgow
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is the most wonderful hotel in the lakes , great location , Beautiful looking building sitting right on the river , lovely little waterfall right outside our window surrounded by the fells , truly amazing , arrived at the reception and the receptionist was so bubbly and friendly , everything was ready for us , our room was lovely and fresh and clean , the beds where so comfortable , we went down to the bar for dinner and the food was wonderful, and we thought , right something has got to go wrong , we said wait and see what breakfast is like , so off we went to bed great nights sleep really quiet and relaxing , woke up fresh shower was great , went for breakfast and again staff really friendly and could not do enough for you , breakfast was really nice , to top it off we where not sure what to do that day , as we only booked 1 night but we ended up staying 3 nights we loved it that much , we met the hotel gardener in the car park again so friendly , and he told us all about the hotel and its history , he also told us of great places to go and do , I would recommend the spa myself and my 7 year old loved it to get away from daddy watching the football , the whitewater hotel is a treat to visit and a great place to enjoy your holiday .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank paula d
Dear Paula D,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us on TA and for the perfect 5 star score! It is always pleasing to read when guests have enjoyed their stay as that is all we aim to do! Your comments will be passed on to the team whom I am sure will appreciate the read as they do work hard to keep our guests happy.
We hope to welcome you back to the Whitewater again, and as a thankyou gesture we will be happy to discount our best available rate to you by a further 15%. For any future booking if you contact the hotel direct and quote your TA pseudonym we will be able to apply this discount.
The WW Hotel team
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked this hotel as an engagement present for my brothers sister.
It was a surprise weekend for them, I booked online and spoke to the hotel direct to say this was a gift for somebody else.
I gave the hotel my card details for payment!

When my brothers sister came to check out they had to pay as they don't take payment for your stay until checking out!

I am very upset about this, Why wasn't I informed on the telephone that this was how the system worked and also it says nowhere online even in terms and conditions!

What if she hadn't of had enough funds to cover her stay??

You simply can not use this hotel as a surprise weekend away for anybody!
If I had of been made aware then it would have been fine.

I also phoned the hotel yesterday where I was told the manager would phone me back, Well I am still waiting for my phone call.

Such a shame as they really enjoyed their stay and I was thinking about booking myself in this hotel for a weekend but I certainly wont be now.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KATIE L
Dear Katie L,

We were sorry to read this review, and believe the hotel manager has since made contact with you. It was an unfortunate error on the part of the hotel and for that we apologise. On the positive side your guests were very happy with their stay from the feedback we received from them.
Regards,
The Whitewater Hotel
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Arrived on Friday afternoon (4th July), very friendly young lady on the desk, welcomed us with a smile! Rooms were big, fabulous views and spotlessly clean. We spent an hour or so in the pool and used the sauna, spa bath etc, all really clean etc with lovely staff.

Had evening meal in the Dolly Blue Grill/Bar (mixed grills) which was delicious! Again, friendly and helpful staff, always with a smile. Highly recommend the Torte with Chantilly cream for dessert too :)

We only stayed on night as we were visiting the South Lakes Zoo the next morning. The same girl was on reception when we left and was just as smiley and helpful! The surroundings were stunning, as were the views from our rooms. I'd recommend this hotel to anybody visiting the area, so much so that we are going to go back again within the next few weeks with the rest of my family!

Room Tip: We had rooms 203 and 206 (family rooms), both of which had lovely views of the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HaloNorthwest
Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience you had with us on the TA forum and for the great 5 star review. We welcome your comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
As a thankyou gesture and in the hope we will see you again, if you call the hotel direct and quote your TA pseudonym we will offer a 15% discount off best advertised rate.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived on Friday afternoon (five ladies) booked in and were given keys to our rooms, two adjoining rooms which was lovely because we felt like we where altogether. We where a little peckish after a few bottles of champers ;) and decided we needed some nibbles, we rang room service and asked for some crisps or nuts, to put us on until dinner, we where brought a few Doritos and some dips that cost £16.00 a bit steep for what we got. All the other meals we had (we where there for two nights) breakfast and dinner were to a good standard no problems whatsoever, the staff in the dining room were good, there was one young girl (Collette) that was outstanding, very helpful, polite and knew her stuff. The staff in the spa were lovely, the only problem was we went to buy some lovely Elemis and there wasn't any staff there, they were all busy doing treatments, we were going to spend a few hundred pounds but hey ho.....The reason for four stars the price of the snack was ridiculous, the reception staff couldn't tell us how to get to the station had no information on the steam train or ferry across the lake, weren't very forthcoming about ordering taxis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ks S
Dear reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to post this review and for the positive & constructive comments. Your points have been noted.
We hope to welcome you back to the Whitewater hotel again, and as a gesture we will be happy to discount our published price to you by a further 15%. For any future booking if you contact the hotel direct and quote your TA pseudonym we will be able to apply this discount.
Thanks again,
The team at the WW Hotel
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked into the restaurant for a birthday meal for my wife and I on Saturday night. As we were local we were not using the accommodation, just the Riverside Restaurant.
Despite living in the area or he last 5 years, we had never been to the restaurant before, and had not really heard any experiences from our neighbours, but decided to give it a go, due to the interesting sample menu.
We were not disappointed. For starters, I had the smoked haddock fishcake, and my wife had the sorbet, which were both satisfactory for the price. However, the stars of the meal were my beef and my wife's salmon. The beef was melt in the mouth tender, and my wife's salmon was an interesting combination of black (squid ink) potatoes and a curry sauce. We also ordered a side of mixed veg/potatoes and chips, which made it a substantial meal.
I followed this with a caramel sponge pudding which was very nice, and my wife with the chocolate gateau, which was exquisite.
The staff were friendly and the service was good (did not experience excessive delays as in other reviews).
The wine (Rioja) was OK for the price.
Pros: The food was great, service was good and attentive. Went for a drink afterwards in the bar below where the beer (Ulverston Brewery, Flying Elephant) and surroundings were both good and the price was fair (£4.90 for a pint and a half)
Cons: Asked for rare beef, but was served medium (although this was not a big issue as its quality was so good. Asked for water and was given expensive bottled without the option of a jug of tap water (even though the table next to us were drinking this) - I resent paying for water.
Overall, I would return for a special occasion meal. Would have awarded 5 stars if it hadn't been for the overcooked beef and the expensive water.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trooser
pickle2014, Guest Relations Manager at Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us on TA and for the 4 star score. Your comments will be passed on to the restaurant team and we will take note of those.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again. The menus change frequently and we also offer a more informal style of dining in the Dolly Blue Bar & Grill.
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Dinner (chicken salad) was tasty when it arrived one hour and 10 minutes after it was ordered. 2 hours from request to receipt of an iron and ironing board. Breakfast awful, coffee and toast arrived 10 minutes after I had eaten the poor attempt at cooked bacon and the mush that was masquerading as scrambled eggs (there was no-one around to offer the option of a fried egg!). Very young staff who could not cope with a busy hotel, not a sign of any Duty Manager. All in all one of the worst hotel experiences I have had. It was almost as if the staff, rather than welcoming you, ran the other way to avoid any questions they may be asked. Doubt I'll be staying there again even though it is in a wonderful location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gordon B
pickle2014, Guest Relations Manager at Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Gordon,

We are really sorry your experience with us was not great and for the delays with the service we provide. We appreciate your comments and will take them on board.
Thanks for choosing to stay with us this time.
Apologies and Kind Regards,
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!