“We were amazed”

Dining options: Reservations
Penrith, United Kingdom
“We were amazed”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We live on a working hill farm near Ullswater where we have a bunkhouse, sleeping 8, ideal for walkers, bikers and popular coast to coasters. Some people provide their own food but most of them walk along to Patterdale for their evening meal. Last summer a lot of them spoken highly of the meals served at Old Water View, a B&B and restaurant just 5 minutes walk away. I decided to take some friends along, in a manner of speaking to “sus the place out” for myself”. It was a quite Monday night in February and we were amazed, the menu is extensive ad reasonably priced and the food was delicious, compliments to Paul the chef. Also received a warm welcome from Lorna, always smiling, so attentive and helpful, she’s a real asset to the place.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Heather J

Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We spent three nights here in december and had a thoroughly enjoyable time
Our accommodation was in the "bothy" totally separate feom the main accommodation the standard of the room on all aspects was high. We ate in the main building with the choice and standard of food being very good. There is a bar onsite as well which was a bonus ans meant we didn't have to venture out in the wild weather!! Overall a great find. The Old Water Pale Ale was great too!!

1 Thank happywalker1958
Kilmacolm, United Kingdom
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

We visited in mid November, after reading positive reviews. The food wasn't good - it was basic and bland. It was expensive for what we got. I wouldn't recommend. We ate and left - not wanting to spoil the remainder of evening by complaining.

Visited November 2013
Lakeshiker, Owner at Old Water View, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
We are a little perplexed about this review.

In November, we were "Closed to non residents" apart from one day in the whole month and on that day we served just three tables and I (the owner) was waiting the tables.

I worked every day in November and I am afraid that I do not remember meeting you and we have no record of your visit.

Please email or phone us as we would like to discuss your review with you.

Best wishes and a Happy Christmas.

Ian

07876 014971
manchester
“great mini break”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights and could not have hoped for better, had a very warm welcome from the owner, our room was very clean and cosy and all the little extras in the room make it feel like home, Both the evening meals we had were really tasty and service was great, really friendly atmosphere in the bar area and was shocked by how well stocked it was. Ian the owner was fantastic and went out of his way to make our stay perfect and was so helpful, was all great value for money, would tell anyone to stay here you wont be sorry :) Thanks for a great weekend

Sarah

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank redtinksarah
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“SUES BIRTHDAY”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Very friendly atmosphere but we had a very poor set of meals..steak ..chew and spit it out,lamb..shavings from the well done side of the lamb...chicken cold x2...terrible.!!

• Visited November 2013
Lakeshiker, Owner at Old Water View, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your review. Because you listed the combination of meals chosen I was able to check our computerised till to find the date & time of your visit and match that with the cctv footage. The kitchen cctv shows that the meals were probed for temperature before they were sent out. However it also shows that the first three meals went out quickly but the steak meal was delayed by a few minutes for which we apologise. The good manners of your party meant that the cctv shows that your friends waited until all 4 meals arrived before they ate. This will have meant that the meals were not as hot when eaten and again I apologise for the delay with the steak.

The cctv also shows that you were asked 5 minutes into the meal "is everything ok with your meals" and the reply is "great thank you". This is frustrating as we want happy customers and when we ask the question it is to give us the opportunity to redress any problems.

The kitchen cctv shows two cleared plates returned, one plate with the fat from the steak and one with a piece of chicken and some veggies. We cannot see any spat out steak I am afraid.

When you paid your bills in the bar, the bar cctv shows that you were asked twice if everything was ok with the meal. Again the response is 'great thank you'. As it was myself who did this transaction, you had the opportunity to tell me the owner if you had problems. I would most certainly have tried to redress or compensate you.

I have no contact details for you but please get in touch and I will provide a voucher for a free meal on your next visit as a gesture of goodwill.

Best wishes