“Celebratory evening meal”

Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Patterdale
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Excellent venue, host and staff very friendly and informative.
Menu large selection to suit all tastes, my friend was a vegetarian, myself gluten free, there was a huge selection.
Food was excellent, we had three course meal, starters, main and sweet. A gem of a place.

3  Thank Sheila L

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked for dinner at this restaurant looking to have a quiet meal for two in a beautiful setting. There is limited parking here and, on arrival, we were shown to our table in what is "the breakfast room" of this B&B/restaurant. We were then told if we wanted drinks to come to the bar and take them back to our table. We did just that, the order a gin and tonic and a beer. The tonic was poured from a near empty bottle under the counter and this found the gin and tonic to be flat and nearly impalatable. We also wanted wine and I asked to see the wine list. I was told to choose from any bottle of red wine on the window ledge in the room/bar and take this to my table and that this would be added to my bill. This I did.

We ordered pate and salad and garlic mushrooms to start and these were very nice. Our main courses consisted of chilli and rice and chicken in a tomato salsa sauce. The chilli and rice was found to be bland and nothing really to write home about. The chicken was pan fried according to the menu and the so called tomato salsa sauce came out of a jar quite clearly. Again nothing to write to home about.

There was no atmosphere as previously said this was the breakfast room with the packets of cereal rowed up on a server for the morning. The decor in this establishment has seen better days and needs updating.

There was a group of women at the next table and one of the company complained about her main course and the management took this off their bill.

Unfortunate but there it is.

Richard and June, Teddingon

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had dinner at the Old Water View and came away happy. The service was very friendly, the menu offered a nice variety of choices, the food was tasty, and the portions were huge. We had no complaints and would certainly recommend it to others.

4  Thank MaineScott
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We happened upon this place having been disappointed in the meal the night before in another local hotel,,we walked a bit further & thought it looked very quaint & inviting.
We were just blown away by the friendliness of the staff & more tan delighted with the quality of the food & the prices too.
It's a very long time since I had actual "FRESH VEGETABLES" & not just the usual FROZEN OFFERINGS that restaurants tend to give you.I swear that this food would have a 5 STAR FRENCH RESTAURANT knocked into a cocked hat!!!
On this trip we were camping,but the "OUT OF SEASON" deal that this hotel offers would be worth leaving the tent at home & letting these lovely people spoil us-and it would be far less windy -drier-and not such a long walk to the toilet!!!

1  Thank MAGGIECRAW
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We live on a working hill farm near Ullswater where we have a bunkhouse, sleeping 8, ideal for walkers, bikers and popular coast to coasters. Some people provide their own food but most of them walk along to Patterdale for their evening meal. Last summer a lot of them spoken highly of the meals served at Old Water View, a B&B and restaurant just 5 minutes walk away. I decided to take some friends along, in a manner of speaking to “sus the place out” for myself”. It was a quite Monday night in February and we were amazed, the menu is extensive ad reasonably priced and the food was delicious, compliments to Paul the chef. Also received a warm welcome from Lorna, always smiling, so attentive and helpful, she’s a real asset to the place.

2  Thank Heather J