“Great food - really enjoyed dining here”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Queens Head

The Queens Head
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Troutbeck
Price range: US$8 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Pub, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wine and Beer
Description: Reopening in April 2017 after a £2 million refurbishment, The Queens Head Hotel is Located 4 miles from Ambleside and Windermere and nestled on the side of the fells which overlook the Troutbeck Valley. The new Queens Head will feature a large drinking area with cosy dining areas and 10 newly-refurbished en-suite guest bedrooms providing the perfect base for guests to Cumbria and, of course, their four legged companions. Renowned for serving some of the finest food in the area, The Queens Head’s new menu will highlight a mixture of homely classic pub food with a Cumbrian flair. So, whether stopping by for a pint of one of Robinsons award-winning cask ales, enjoying some wholesome home-cooked food or staying the night, you are always guaranteed to receive a warm Lakeland welcome when visiting the Queens Head.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great food - really enjoyed dining here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

This is the second time we have eaten here (and I remembered it from 2 years ago the last time we were in the Lakes!). It didn't disappoint this time. The menu is extensive, although not particularly cheap for pub grub. The quality makes up for it. There was a choice of 3 red wines by the glass - Merlot, Tempranillo or Montepulciano. I had a rather divine fish pie, served with battered green beans - wow! Hubbie had steak, which was perfectly cooked as medium rare. Well presented, unpretentious food. We shared the cheese board for dessert (and ended up bringing half of it home as there was so much!) This was served with home made biscuits, which were warm from the oven!!! The service was efficient.

• Visited September 2011

Halifax
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife, three children & I ate at The Queens Head on Thursday evening, the food was excellent. Two of our children had the fish & chips, the third cheesy pasta all from the childrens' menu.

I had pan fried sardines to start, my wife the home made crumpet with goats cheese. For main I had ceaser salad, with two huge parmesan crisps, my wife fish pie, all were excellent. Two minor things, I had to get my own cutlery for my main course & perhaps cloth napkins instead of paper.

I could have eaten there every night, there was so much on the menu I wanted to taste!

• Visited September 2011
London, United Kingdom
“The No 1 restaurant in The Lakes!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We have eaten at the Queen's Head twice now and it has been superb on both occasions!! The food is excellent... No where else does fish and chips wth two battered fish! I've you can finish 3 courses you're doing well cos the portion sizes are excellent. I hugely recommend the black pudding, hash brown, bacon and potched egg starter..amazing! Cant wait to go again next week!

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Lovely location fabulous atmosphere superb food a little expensive if you are taking a family but then again you only get what you pay for

• Visited July 2011
Fife, Scotland
“delicious food and welcoming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed in nearby Limefitt caravan park which was an easy 10 minute walk from the Queens Head and decided to come for dinenr one evening with my husband, parents and our one year old. The atmosphere here is friendly, welcoming and very cosy. Waiting staff were friendly and attentive. The food was delicious in general, altohugh my husband was a bit disappointed with his crispy duck leg as he felt it ws a little dry. I had the pork belly for a main and am so glad I did, it was enough to feed 2 people and was one of the nicest things I have ever tasted. All the food was beautifully presented, and my mother enjoyed her black pudding and chorizo sausages on a pile of root mash with gravy IMMENSELY! I do think that charging £4.50 for a portion of chips is a little steep, however, even if they were quite tasty! There is a 3 course set menu for £20 which my husband chose from, and he thoroughly enjoyed his huge bowl of sticky ribs for starter. This is really good value for money considering the prices are above average if you're eating a la carte. I'd recommend this place wholeheartedly and hope to return someday!

• Visited July 2011