“Fantastic”

The Queens Head
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Troutbeck
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Reopening in April 2017 after a £2 million refurbishment, The Queens Head Hotel is Located 4 miles from Ambleside and Windermere and nestled on the side of the fells which overlook the Troutbeck Valley. The new Queens Head will feature a large drinking area with cosy dining areas and 10 newly-refurbished en-suite guest bedrooms providing the perfect base for guests to Cumbria and, of course, their four legged companions. Renowned for serving some of the finest food in the area, The Queens Head’s new menu will highlight a mixture of homely classic pub food with a Cumbrian flair. So, whether stopping by for a pint of one of Robinsons award-winning cask ales, enjoying some wholesome home-cooked food or staying the night, you are always guaranteed to receive a warm Lakeland welcome when visiting the Queens Head.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Having visited this Inn many times before, we took friends with us this time, we all really enjoyed the atmosphere, food and ales. A little more expensive than some other places, however every dish was money well spent.

We also had our dog with us, she was also made welcome, with the log fire burning the choice of seats became a little limited, I would advise booking in advance if you have any special requirements or if you are a larger group as this is a wonderful traditional pub with lots of character, not a large open plan modern building.

When in the Lakes this is a must visit place always on our list.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We came here last year and were a little disappointed both with the food and the atmosphere, but we decided to give it another go. On arrival the bar was very busy with a nice atmosphere, but it was immediately clear that it was a little understaffed, with one barman rushed off his feet trying to serve the bar, make the restaurants drinks and deal with hotel guests. There were quite a few dirty glasses left on the bar that he didn't have time to clean. However we had very good gin and tonics and were quite happy to wait for a table to become available in the bar (we had booked in the restaurant but after last year chose to be in the bar - the restaurant doesn't have the same buzz). The menu looked lovely, they didn't have the mussels that we ordered but they are clearly a popular choice so we didn't mind. Two of our party liked their food, but I ordered the veg trio and was quite disappointed with it. The potato croquette was burnt, the mushrooms in the tart were very slimy and on top were dry salad leaves that had wilted due to the heat of the tart. It was all edible but very average. We all also agreed that the portion sizes are far too big and that the food is quite stodgy. For an expensive bill I would expect a lot better. I don't think I could recommend this restaurant and I wouldn't rush back.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful scenery en route to this "gastropub", which has a buzzy, lively and casual atmosphere. Lots of staff dashing around but still a long wait from being seated to placing even our drinks order. Food then arrived promptly and was pretty good for the price paid. Some interesting & innovative dishes, like roquefort pannacotta, and a take on a scotch egg, which we enjoyed. A nice change from regular pub food choices.

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

It doesn't matter how many times I drive the road to the Queens Head, the beauty of the dramatic Troutbeck Valley always manages to amaze me.

We offer a range of pub food from the traditional, to some with a more modern flare. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Roquefort Panna Cotta and the Haggis Scotch Egg.

We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Called in on a chance to have lunch and was delighted with the ambience of this Hotel Restaurant, we had the Turkey Burger and the Sausage. The Burger was great, but wasn't too thrilled with the over battered onion rings, very fatty, the sausage ring was huge, took a while for the veggies to come, but when the waiter was prompted they arrived. This place is obviously popular by the diners here and the Menu is large, varied & suitable to all ages. With the fire burning this a great place to enjoy a meal on a rainy day.

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you Judith W for your lovely comments. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the food, and I will pass on your comments about the onion rings.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have eaten at The Queens Head twice before so were looking forward to a return visit on what was a very busy Saturday evening. No problem with being seated or ordering food and drinks. The staff were attentive and we did not feel overlooked at any time. However - it was the size of the portions and standard of food that concerned us. My husbands turkey and apple burger was a huge tower and in particular the onion rings were enormous and over battered. Would advise the chef to go and try the ones at The Angel in Bowness to see how they should be done. My 3 veg main was ok but quite dry, the leek and potato croquette had carrot not leek in it and was only warm not hot plus the goats cheese parcel had far too much filo pastry round it. We decided to have dessert as on our last visit there was an apple 3 ways pudding. This was not on the menu so my husband had banoffe pie and I opted for sticky toffee pudding. The portions were absolutely huge. The banoffe pie had at least 4 cm of cream on top plus the same caramel sauce as my sticky toffee pudding. The slab of sticky toffee pudding was far too big, the honeycomb chewy and I really dislike green micro herbs on my dessert. We heard the table next to us sending their mussel broth back because it was thin with not enough cream in. The cream was obviously on top of the banoffe.
It wasn't until we walked out that we noticed the specials board with the apple 3 ways dessert on it. The waiter did not point out the specials board so we had no idea it was there.
All in all a very disappointing 3rd and last visit.

1  Thank elvisaaron