“Perfect!!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Maryport B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Perfect!!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I travelled down to Maryport with my mum as a present for Mother's Day as that is where she was born and lived as a child. We arrived at the hotel and parked in the small but adequate carpark. We then checked in and were shown to our room. The room was a good size for me and my mum with lovely decor and en-suite. The room had everything we needed including tea/coffee marking facilities, freeview tv, hairdryer, free wi-fi, toilitries and heating/air-con system. We also had a lovely view of the harbour.
As my mum was born there we then went out walking all afternoon and visited a few of the local pubs which were all very reasonably priced and within short walking distance.
We then went for our dinner in the night at the hotel bistro. There was a great choice of starters and mains and the food was delicious and portion sizes are more than generous. The bar area was friendily also with a good atmosphere.
After a very comfortable sleep in our double bed we then went down to breakfast served between 8-10 on a weekend. There was a choice of cereals, jams, fresh fruit and yoghurts or a full cumbrian breakfast. Me and my mum opted for the cumbrian breakfast which was absolutely delicious, generous portion of 2 thick slices of bacon, 2 eggs (cooked how you prefer), cumberland sausage, beans, mushrooms and toast (i asked for mine without tomato and black pudding) and a pot of tea or coffee with the option of juice.
I honestly have no complaints about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone visiting Maryport for its spectacular loaction. I will definately be returning soon with the rest of the family.

Room Tip: No lift in the hotel so request a lower floor room if needed. Our room was on the 3rd floor, room 7...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MSB1992
GL-Management, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad your mother and you enjoyed your time with us. All of our staff try their best to make your time with us special. We have a delicious new menu starting in April with even more fantastic Cumbrian fare for you to try. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

John

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Fantastic spot on Maryport harbour with loads of walks on the doorstep. Had the best cooked breakfast I have ever had with really tasty Cumbrian sausages and thick bacon. The staff are friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend Maryport for a holiday and the hotel as a base.

Room Tip: My room which was No8 could do with a blackout blind to block street lights.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GL-Management, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thanks for your lovely review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We have taken on board your comments regarding the street lights and will be addressing this issue, thanks for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you again soon.

John

Maanager
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

After seeing Julie hesmondhalgh at ewanrigg community centre in the black roses play ,which was excellent ,three of us went for supper at the golden lion .the food was gorgeous ,fresh ,hot ,and plentiful ,we all had something different and we're not disappointed ,will definitely be returning .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Golden L, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. We have a fantastic new menu starting in April with lots of new dishes for you to try.

John Dunlop
Manager
Maryport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I attended a party held at the Golden Lion Hotel recently and feel I must write a favourable review.  Philip and his staff  adopt a very professional yet friendly  approach to ensure all is as requested. Nothing is too much trouble to any of them.  The table was tastefully and beautifully decorated, the food simply wonderful and the service exemplary. All the guests were delighted and many who hadn't eaten here before have promised to return.
I HAVE eaten here many times and have NEVER been disappointed.
Many thanks to Philip and his Staff for a fabulous night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pandora219
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Excellent accommodation, welcome, service and food for the cost. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends.
Location in the town is ideal looking over the sea front with shops,pubs and restaurants all on the doorstep.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cleator, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

~ I'd reached the awful age of 65 (nightmare!) and decided to have a special family get together and meal. Friends had recommended the Golden Lion, Maryport, so on their advice I decided to book their restaurant for my special evening, Saturday 26th October 2013. My eldest son, and sister Mary (plus husband) travelled up from Preston/Bath and booked in for the night. It was their (sister Mary) very first stay in Maryport. The evening was so brilliant. The Hotel was immaculate and the staff extremely friendly and welcoming .. I was delighted how everything went. Everyone had a great time, and the staff gave us as much time as we wanted .. As a result, several of my friends and relatives vow to return. I'm going to go there more often for meals, etc .. Someone ordered a starter for two, at £9.99p. I defy anyone to eat a normal full meal after this .. It looked so delicious. Can I recommend The Golden Lion for the quality of service, cooking and a place to stay? Absolutely.. I promise you will NOT be disappointed. I'll attach some of my photos of the evening, and one I took earlier in the year when trying to decide on a venue for my special do .. Oh .. One of my guests told me that they had researched the history of The Golden Lion, and had discovered that Charles Dickens and George Stephenson (the Stephenson's Rocket Steam train inventor) had both stopped there in the past .. Fancy that!

Room Tip: ~ If possible, ask for a room with Westward views over the wonderful harbour side. You can watch the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jan f
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here for a short break and will return . The staff were all excellent and friendly. Our room was spotless , modern and comfortable with harbour views. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the food but I have to say the chips were poor. Breakfast was one of the best cooked breakfasts I have ever had. Everything was hot and freshly cooked. Well done to all at The Golden Lion.

Room Tip: Harbour view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryport
Broughton Craggs Hotel
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel
The Cumberland Hotel
The Cumberland Hotel
#9 of 9 in Workington

Been to Golden Lion? Share your experiences!